Looking for scanner recommendations

golphinn

Hello! I am looking to purchase a hand held scanner to replace my Bearcat BC350A. I haven't used it in years since our local Buffalo Police went digital. I really enjoyed listening to it during the recent blizzard we had, but it would have been nice to hear more. I am looking for suggestions to listen to Erie County and possibly anything else close enough to hear and on weekends when we camp in Cattaraugus County. Both located in New York. I am not sure if those areas are encrypted or use simulcast? Thank you!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the forums & thanks for giving your location info, really makes recommendations much easier. Buffalo City Police is P25 conventional so you need not worry about simulcast. Any scanner listed here will work. Encryption isn't a factor on most frequencies with exception of detectives (mode P25E). Anytime you see an uppercase "E" anywhere in the mode column, this denotes full-time encryption. Had it been a lowercase "e", this means partial encryption. Fire & EMS are analog.
Now with Cattaraugus County Public Safety you may encounter a phenominon known as simulcast distortion which makes these types of systems a real pain to scan with most scanners. Talkgroups are "in the clear" here (mode "D") My recommendation for this system goes to the Uniden SDS100 since this model was designed to cope with the effects of simulcast.

Last edited:

golphinn

Welcome to the forums & thanks for giving your location info, really makes recommendations much easier. Buffalo City Police is P25 conventional so you need not worry about simulcast. Any scanner listed here will work. Encryption isn't a factor on most frequencies with exception of detectives (mode P25E). Anytime you see an uppercase "E" anywhere in the mode column, this denotes full-time encryption. Had it been a lowercase "e", this means partial encryption. Fire & EMS are analog.
Now with Cattaraugus County Public Safety you may encounter a phenominon known as simulcast distortion which makes these types of systems a real pain to scan with most scanners. Talkgroups are "in the clear" here (mode "D") My recommendation for this system goes to the Uniden SDS100 since this model was designed to cope with the effects of simulcast.
Thank you very much for your help. I will mostly be using the scanner in Erie County and may bring it to camp in the summer to try and pick up the campground security radios. I'm thinking of looking for a used BCD436HP to get me started.

golphinn

Thanks to all for the help! I just purchased a BCD436HP. Off I go to start reading and try and figure this thing out!