Looking for Scanner to monitor Clinton

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIMP

Hi,
Can someone recommend a scanner that will allow me to monitor Clinton, MS police? I have a few buddies on the force and I'd love to listen in. I do not a very fancy scanner so the cheaper the better.....I know they're all costly now though.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Highpockets

Hi,
Can someone recommend a scanner that will allow me to monitor Clinton, MS police? I have a few buddies on the force and I'd love to listen in. I do not a very fancy scanner so the cheaper the better.....I know they're all costly now though.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Here is the link to their system:

Central Mississippi Regional Network Trunking System, Jackson, Madison, Ridgela, Mississippi - Scanner Frequencies

It looks like you'll need a digital scanner. Right now Radio Shack has the Pro106 digital scanner on sale for $249.00 in stores only until the 18th.

KE5TLF

Yes you're going to have to have a digital scanner to monitor Clinton. Regardless of where you are, there really is no other choice in MS but to get a digital scanner.

SIMP

Thanks for the info. I am an old school scanner from way back and miss listening to them. I knew scanners were high now, but wow! I may have to wait a little before obtaining one. Thanks again.

Are there any websites that may offer Clinton's feed? Just curious of an alternative.

SIMP

So there is no website offering a Clinton, MS feed? Is there any scanning software that someone could buy as opposed to purchasing a scanner? Thanks.

SIMP

Hello all! I used to really enjoy scanners back in the day when they weren't so fancy schmancy and I'm wanting to buy one to start listening again. I know technology has come a long way in 20-30 years so I'm very ignorant to the new stuff out there. Can you please recommend one that would suit my needs to scan the following cities in my area? Looking for Police, Fire and Emergency mainly.

Clinton, MS
Jackson, MS
Raymond, MS

I'd sincerely appreciate the help and thank you in advance. Glad to be here!

-Simp

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Hello all! I used to really enjoy scanners back in the day when they weren't so fancy schmancy and I'm wanting to buy one to start listening again. I know technology has come a long way in 20-30 years so I'm very ignorant to the new stuff out there. Can you please recommend one that would suit my needs to scan the following cities in my area? Looking for Police, Fire and Emergency mainly.

Clinton, MS
Jackson, MS
Raymond, MS

I'd sincerely appreciate the help and thank you in advance. Glad to be here!

-Simp
Hind County is P25 Phase II trunked on 7/800 MHz. It is a rather exotic statewide radio system that is becoming more common.

A fair amount of it is simulcast so you’re going to have to shell out some money or perhaps if someone is streaming a scanner feed you can listen online with a delay. It appears as if they aren’t using any encryption so that is a good thing for listeners.

Technically you don’t have to get a SDS100 or 200 but you might want to ask around and find out what people in your local area are using. A unication pager might be cheaper and do everything you want without much fuss.

marksmith

Based on p25 phase 2 simulcast the appropriate scanners are as mentioned above the Uniden SDS100 portable or the SDS200 tabletop. Simulcast is a real issue with most scanners and the only scanners made to handle simulcast systems are those two.

The Unication pagers might be slightly less expensive (but still not cheap) and it is not a scanner and lacks the features of a regular scanner.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
You should be posting in the MS forum as those in your state can help you best. If P25, you need a digital scanner. Uniden 436 or SDS100 for portable, Uniden 536 or SDS200 for base station. Love my SDS200 as it does a good job!

SIMP

Wow! Thanks for all of the great recommendations. I must admit, I was taken aback with the prices of these scanners. I may have to wait a bit before purchasing so the initial cost doesn’t hit me so hard. Again, I greatly appreciate your replies and time.

slhbeard

Premium Subscriber
You can use a BCD56HP or SDS200. They both work just fine with the simulcast that we have here. I have both and have no problems. I also use a yagi antenna if that helps and receive all the areas you mentioned.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Wow! Thanks for all of the great recommendations. I must admit, I was taken aback with the prices of these scanners. I may have to wait a bit before purchasing so the initial cost doesn’t hit me so hard. Again, I greatly appreciate your replies and time.
You can use SDR receivers, but it will require the use of your computer. I think there is some people who are using tablets to run them. Should be able to escape for less than $100 if you go that route. Out of my league though.

You might want to check if there is any online feeds in you’re area.

SIMP

I made a post in the general section and was advised to also make one here. I'm wanting a scanner to listen in on Clinton PD mainly, but also Raymond and Jackson. Can some local members here tell me what you're using and perhaps give a few suggestions? Also, someone mentioned using an SDR as a cheaper option. Has anyone here tried one with any luck? Thanks so much. I've been out of the scanner world for a while now and really enjoyed as a younger man. I must say, the prices are a bit surprising for equipment these days but it is what is, as "they" say. Thanks for any and all help!

lu81fitter

Looks like you'll be in the market for something of the digital variety. Hinds County also has a simulcast system. An SDS 100 handheld or an SDS 200 base/mobile radio (both from Uniden) will do the trick. You may be able to get by with a less expensive radio, but it may be rolling the dice as far a reception issues. You won't know until you try. I have a BCD996P2 and it kinda works on simulcast systems, but not a great performer. It's all about your location.

SIMP

Looks like you'll be in the market for something of the digital variety. Hinds County also has a simulcast system. An SDS 100 handheld or an SDS 200 base/mobile radio (both from Uniden) will do the trick. You may be able to get by with a less expensive radio, but it may be rolling the dice as far a reception issues. You won't know until you try. I have a BCD996P2 and it kinda works on simulcast systems, but not a great performer. It's all about your location.

Thank you! So, it's possible that the BCD996P2 could work just fine in my area? It seems to be least expensive of the possibilities at the moment. I may just have to bite the bullet and get one of the higher end Uniden models, I guess.

lu81fitter

Thank you! So, it's possible that the BCD996P2 could work just fine in my area? It seems to be least expensive of the possibilities at the moment. I may just have to bite the bullet and get one of the higher end Uniden models, I guess.

Yes. It is certainly possible. Or it may not receive at all. It's, as I said, rolling the dice. I use the P2 because I'm not a big fan of the database style scanners. I think it is much easier to program as well. I had a 436HP for a while, but didn't really care for it. Sold it and bought a 325P2.

SIMP

Yes. It is certainly possible. Or it may not receive at all. It's, as I said, rolling the dice. I use the P2 because I'm not a big fan of the database style scanners. I think it is much easier to program as well. I had a 436HP for a while, but didn't really care for it. Sold it and bought a 325P2.

The 325P2 is very affordable....but it won't work in my area due to the system in use? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.