Looking for small 2M mobile with separation kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

graywoulf

Greetings,

I just bought a new car and I would like to have a 2M radio in it. There are no dash pockets to mount a radio in so I think a small radio with a separate face would be my best solution. I don't want to spend any more than I have to so I can invest more into an antenna. I am looking for suggestions on brands and models please. Thanks!

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Since you have listed in your sig line that you have an Anyone AT-D868UV, I would suggest the Connect Systems CS-800D Dual-Band DMR/FM transceiver that includes the ability to separate the front panel from the main radio body (for use as a remote head).

graywoulf

Since you have listed in your sig line that you have an Anyone AT-D868UV, I would suggest the Connect Systems CS-800D Dual-Band DMR/FM transceiver that includes the ability to separate the front panel from the main radio body (for use as a remote head).
Thank you for that recommendation. I will take a look at it.(y)

graywoulf

Are you wanting just 2m, not a dual-band?What are you defining as small?Sent using Tapatalk
2M is the only band active in my area mostly but a dual band radio is not out of the question. As for size, I am looking for something that has a small remote head that I can easily mount on the top of my steering column and that will not block the view of my gauges. I'm not looking for anything fancy but just a decent 2M radio that has some good features. Thanks for any help on this.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I am familiar with dual band radios with a detachable face, I am unsure about single band. A used Yaesu 7800 may work fine and keep the price under $200. Over $300 the Yaesu 100DR or the Kenwood V71 are more choices. There may be some inexpensive radios made in China that offer a detachable control head, but I am unfamiliar with what those choices would be and if they are a good investment. Someone will probably chime in with those choices.

The 7800 control head is small and light. I used Velcro to attach it to my visor and ran the cord under the driver column. It was a quick glance up to see what was what and it was definitely out of the way.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Now that I think about it. I really don't want DMR for this purpose. Nice thought though.

Then don’t use the radio as a digital radio. It does analogue only just fine.

You are going to have a tough time finding an analogue only 2m ham radio that can be remotely mounted. Your only option is going to be either dual band ham gear or single band LMR gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

graywoulf

I am familiar with dual band radios with a detachable face, I am unsure about single band. A used Yaesu 7800 may work fine and keep the price under $200. The 7800 control head is small and light. I used Velcro to attach it to my visor and ran the cord under the driver column. It was a quick glance up to see what was what and it was definitely out of the way.
Thank you for that suggestion. I looked this radio up and I think that it just might be exactly what I am looking for. (y)

k6cpo

Thank you for that suggestion. I looked this radio up and I think that it just might be exactly what I am looking for. (y)

The Yaesu FT-7800 is a discontinued model. You might be able to find a used one for a good price, but its replacement, the FT-7900R (also now discontinued) is also a very good radio and probably easier to find used.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I can recommend both the TM-V71A and the TYT-7800 (which frankly is a clone of the discontinued FT-7800). I own and use both of them. I like the TYT-7800 so much I bought a second one for use in my kitchen "auxiliary shack".

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
An ICOM 208H will fit your bill perfect. Dual band remote mount. I have 3 of them and a good bang for the buck.
IC-208H VHF/UHF FM Transceiver - Features - Icom America
It's a nice radio, but can only monitor a single band at a time, unlike the TM-V71A and TYT-7800 radios that can monitor two frequencies simultaneously: V/U, V/V, U/U.

There is currently at least one ICOM 208H on eBay that's in new condition for $180.

graywoulf

Great news! A fellow club member has offered me a steal of a deal on a Yaesu FT-8900R with the separation kit. It has only been used as a base radio and never in a vehicle. I know it is in great to excellent condition as he is very particular about keeping his radios in good condition. I am looking forward to installing it.

W5lz

All of the 'big three' offer radios with a detachable head, either dual band or single. There is no best, as such, it's what you feel the most comfortable using (and $$$ naturally).

Status
Not open for further replies.