Looking for small 2M mobile with separation kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I can't say anything good about it's built in speaker though. I have one of the small MFJ speakers sitting on the console cup holder. Looking for a good place to mount it out of the way.

How about along the floor, between the driver's seat and the B pillar?

graywoulf

How about along the floor, between the driver's seat and the B pillar?
Not enough room for it there. I'm thinking that I could take off the mounting bracket and use a long zip tie and attach it to the under dash panel on the driver's side in the middle of that panel and facing downward. That way it will be out of the way and I am sure that I could hear it just fine.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Not enough room for it there. I'm thinking that I could take off the mounting bracket and use a long zip tie and attach it to the under dash panel on the driver's side in the middle of that panel and facing downward. That way it will be out of the way and I am sure that I could hear it just fine.

The sound can end up a bit muffled, when angled down.

Which model speaker are you using?

graywoulf

The sound can end up a bit muffled, when angled down.Which model speaker are you using?
I am using the MFJ-281 speaker. I also have a way to plug the audio output of the radio into my car's sound system. I have an mono to stereo adapter ordered so I can try that out.

graywoulf

Problem solved. With the right cable and mono to stereo 3.5mm plug, I now can route the radio's audio through my car's sound system. Six speakers worth too and it sounds great. Since I can't really listen to music and the ham radio at the same time anyway, this is the perfect solution. (y) :D

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
With the right cable and mono to stereo 3.5mm plug, I now can route the radio's audio through my car's sound system.
I can top that. ;)

The Kenwood TM-V71 has two external speaker outputs. If you plug into just one output and make the right settings in the menu, the audio from both "sides" of the radio will come out that one output. But, if you plug into both outputs, you can get one "side" in one output and the other "side" in the other output. Then, with a mono-to-stereo Y cable plugged into the radio's outputs and the car's AUX input, you'll end up with one "side" of the radio on the right channel and the other "side" on the left. It's very cool.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Then, with a mono-to-stereo Y cable plugged into the radio's outputs and the car's AUX input, you'll end up with one "side" of the radio on the right channel and the other "side" on the left. It's very cool.

I am guessing that is actually a stereo to two mono, AKA a stereo splitter, not just a mono Y connection. (Just so no one gets the wrong stuff.)

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Possibly I have the terminology incorrect. The two legs of the Y have mono plugs. The common plug is stereo.

AC9BX

Yeah, that looks great. You're right, today's vehicles are difficult for this sort of thing. They put computers in every open space, cup holders and storage compartments everywhere, there's no large gaps anywhere. One shortcoming of many Yaesu radios is the awful speaker. I'm working on a plan to mix the car stereo and ham radio into the front vehicle speakers. I have the head for my Yaesu FTM350 up on the dash. Even at full volume over the road noise it's barely listenable, with windows down it's completely useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.