Looking for SmartZone Decoder for Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

simpilo

There is the OKWIN system still in operation today. Yes people it is a old system but still in use so there is still a need for a trunking decoder that will touch it. Trunk-recorder claims to do smartnet but no smartnet in OKC. OP25 nor SDRTrunk won't do it. Anything around for it?

Anything around for it?

have you read this?

DRL-XM43

I monitor a moto smartnet II using trunk-recorder in linux.

If there are individual digital channels (p25) they can be monitored using SDRTrunk.

If there are mixed channels analog/digital you can set up gqrx with gqrx scanner and DSD+ running under wine.

I expect there is a way to do it.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Trunk-recorder claims to do smartnet but no smartnet in OKC.
They're essentially the same thing, just different sizes of Motorola 3600 (Type II) systems:

SmartNet = Single-site system
SmartZone = Multi-site, single-zone system (e.g. OKWIN)
SmartZone OmniLink = Multi-site, multi-zone system (one system with multiple SysID's, e.g. the NJSP system)

S

simpilo

There is no chance doing this with 2 dongles using Trunk Recorder. All I have is two RTL-SDR dongles. Look at the system frequencies here Oklahoma City Site Details (Oklahoma Wireless Interoperability Network (OKWIN) (Motorola))

I would need 12msps. 6 dongles! Can't afford Airspy nor RSP's! Not practical! NO-GO! BOLO!

I was hoping for something that parked on the control channel then tune to the voice channel when any TG is active then I press a key to hold it on that talk group so all it does is listen for that specific talk group I hold it on. With a single dongle, like what a scanner does! OP25 does this. I wish Trunk-recorder could be updated to do this.

DRL-XM43

There is no chance doing this with 2 dongles using Trunk Recorder. All I have is two RTL-SDR dongles. Look at the system frequencies here Oklahoma City Site Details (Oklahoma Wireless Interoperability Network (OKWIN) (Motorola))

I would need 12msps. 6 dongles! Can't afford Airspy nor RSP's! Not practical! NO-GO! BOLO!

I was hoping for something that parked on the control channel then tune to the voice channel when any TG is active then I press a key to hold it on that talk group so all it does is listen for that specific talk group I hold it on. With a single dongle, like what a scanner does! OP25 does this. I wish Trunk-recorder could be updated to do this.

I assume you are exclusively Linux OS?

If so, can you not run a Win10 VM? That would open a door of opportunity.

In one of my linux setups I use that strategy to run various win os decoders. I think Trunk88 or UT may do what you want?

Last edited:
S

simpilo

2 dongles isnt enough for OKWIN in trunk-recorder. OKWIN is 10mhz wide. need 12msps or 6 dongles for trunk recorder to see the whole system. BAH! Im not messing with it! Inefficient!

slicerwizard

Simplio said he has 2 dongles so I thought it met requirement.
I was hoping for something that parked on the control channel then tune to the voice channel when any TG is active then I press a key to hold it on that talk group so all it does is listen for that specific talk group I hold it on. With a single dongle, like what a scanner does!

S

simpilo

The state of my confusion has reached its zenith :oops:
I am not confused. trunk-recorder needs more dongles the larger the systemis in frequency. DSD+ FL will do it with 1 dongle regardless of the swath of frequency. OP25 doesn't care either the swatch of frequency. Trunk-recorder is meant to record a entire system. Multiple recorders require more MSPS. Trunk recorder's purpose isn't my purpose. Inefficient for my intent. Trunk88 is more practical for my intent but as I stated in another thread I resigned myself form using Windows OS. Plus it was frustrating me.

I was hoping for something that parked on the control channel then tune to the voice channel when any TG is active then I press a key to hold it on that talk group so all it does is listen for that specific talk group I hold it on. With a single dongle, like what a scanner does!
Please resign yourself from the need or compulsion to wait on anyone to pounce on. We;re all human and make mistakes. Nothing wrong with it. If I see something I deem stupid it does me no good to call it out.

slicerwizard

Please resign yourself from the need or compulsion to wait on anyone to pounce on. We;re all human and make mistakes. Nothing wrong with it. If I see something I deem stupid it does me no good to call it out.
WTF? I was explaining to DRL-XM43 that you weren't looking for a multi-dongle solution. I didn't pounce on him. If he feels that my post was inappropriate, I hereby encourage him to tell me so.

S

simpilo

WTF? I was explaining to DRL-XM43 that you weren't looking for a multi-dongle solution. I didn't pounce on him. If he feels that my post was inappropriate, I hereby encourage him to tell me so.
My apologizes. I will sit in my corner.

nermel

If you just want to monitor one voice channel at a time, on OKWIN in OKC - Unitrunker on a Windows machine is probably your best solution. OKWIN is a bit frustrating, control channel is almost always 860.9375, there aren't any voice channels within range of most SDRs parked there. I've been using 4 dongles to monitor OKC's EDACS system, and OKWIN in OKC, still miss some OKWIN traffic.

About to start to delve into Trunk Recorder, in anticipation of OKC's transition to their new system.

S

simpilo

If you just want to monitor one voice channel at a time, on OKWIN in OKC - Unitrunker on a Windows machine is probably your best solution. OKWIN is a bit frustrating, control channel is almost always 860.9375, there aren't any voice channels within range of most SDRs parked there. I've been using 4 dongles to monitor OKC's EDACS system, and OKWIN in OKC, still miss some OKWIN traffic.

About to start to delve into Trunk Recorder, in anticipation of OKC's transition to their new system.
OP25 is better if you're wanting live audio instead of recording everything. OP25 just needs 1 dongle. Save your other dongles for other things. Site 0xa (0A) has been Hefner but over the weekend just control channel idling. The other P25 system been slow with OU Medical Police and occasional Pottawatomie County Sheriff traffic. I am not running windows. Right now I am running Lubuntu 18.04.
Running Unitrunker in Wine isnt working because of permissions for wine to the usb in linux isnt good. Need a direct connection to the rtl-sdr via the windows usb bus in Unitrunker. not lucky for linux.

So basically I am waiting on the P25 cut over. Cant do EDACS (GNU Radio EDACS Provoice blocks lags to much or dont work) nor OKWIN in Linux. Thats the down side of the linux world. they develop for things new or better and wont touch the other trunking that still in service.

Last edited:

nermel

For years, have been using Unitrunker. Works great to monitor OKC's EDACS system, and OKWIN, I use it with Trunking Recorder. Just bought an I7, will use it for Trunk Recorder for OKWIN, and OKC's new system, as they migrate. If there is enough CPU & memory left, might add the newer p25 system, once more agencies start to use it.

Will be an interesting, and probably frustrating few months around OKC.

Status
Not open for further replies.