Looking for some advice on UHF base antenna 450-470 Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyc8000

Premium Subscriber
I have been looking at antennas but it seems there are several choices and it seems everybody claims their antenna is the best. I am trying to monitor a digital trunked system that operates on 450 Mhz and I am looking for the best base compact antenna that has a fairly compact design that works well in this frequency range. I appreciate any input, thanks

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
now residing in Ocala, Florida since 1999
for home use, if your able to mount an antenna up on a mast, I suggest a quality discone style antenna. I have used them for digital 450 - 520 mhz and the higher you elevate the antenna, the better it works. Mine was up around 30 feet, and picking up over 40 miles away. I have always liked the discones, and I still use 2 of them. I own a Diamond D-130 which offers me supreme results, and I rely on my back-up discone, ( SKY SCAN DX ) for a second scanner. I feel, for the money, that the Diamond is a supreme discone... good quality, well build for years of storm abuse.

for a more discrete installation, an NMO mount (Motorola style - vehicle mount) antenna for that mhz range would work well too I think... you can get them at a great price, and you can fashion one to a plate or bracket that you can possibly mount on the peak of a roof. They are dedicated antennas for mobile use, for that particular band, and many have a good 5 db gain rating to help pull in those signals. I also have such an antenna on a bracket on the peak of my garage roof, for when I'm tinkering in the garage... I put my scanner on the tool shelf, and plug in the antenna coax that leads up to the peak for reception. It works great!! I use that same style antenna on the roof of my P71 Police interceptor vehicle. I also monitor the EMS MED-COM frequencies in that bandplan. Ebay has many many new - old stock NMO mount antennas to choose from, I saw them this morning... there was even a military grade model on there which has the NMO mount, but I think a discone high up on a mast will best suit your requirements. The outdoor antennas on a mast seem to be they best way to go, and dont skimp on some quality shielded coax for the feed line to help the signal along.

best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.