Looking for some Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

indysafe317

OK, here goes, I've been on the forum on and off for years and have dabbled with HAM, that's to say, a couple of years ago, I studied online and took my technician test and passed, bought a Yaesu FT-60 and never moved on. I posted a few times and talked to a few people who said they could help me out and they were great guys but didn't get what I was looking for. Please don't say go to some club meetings, I've done that as well and met a couple great people but after chatting a little, I still left really no better off. Call me backwards, introverted or whatever but here is what I'm looking for. Would like to pay someone to spend and hour or two walking me through my radio and making and receiving transmissions. Preferably someone familiar with the Yaesu FT-60. I know once I get past this hump, I'll probably get more involved but I know the way I learn and do things and showing up to meetings is just not going to help me in the beginning. First, that's not my learning style, second. my schedule is a nightmare and the 1st Tuesday of the month or other varied meeting times just never work out.

I've had people offer and say don't worry about the money, but life usually takes over and they get busy or want to meet at a club meeting where it's not individualized and I'm still nowhere further. We could meet at a public place, that's not a problem at all. I'm a firefighter for Indianapolis and live in New Palestine. Happy to talk to you ahead of time so we are comfortable with each other. I would really like to move forward with this and potentially get a mobile rig to practice more.

Again, I've meet some great people who I know want to help but for whatever reason, things fall through. I want to treat this like a business transaction or a tutoring situation so please don't feel bad. I'm wanting to pay for one on one instruction just like music lessons. With that being said. I will offer 30 per hour for you to show me how to use and navigate through the channels and use the local repeaters. Im thinking an hour or two to start and that might be all I need to get me off and running. I'm also willing to pay someone 20.00 extra to program my radio with the basic stuff. I have the cables and can download the programs we need.

Again, please don't guide me to some websites or you-tube or local meetings. That has not worked for me. Call me stupid but it is what it is. Please don't take me wrong, I think the clubs and meetings are good and would probably get more involved but I just want to get off the ground first and get some practice time under my belt. My schedule just doesn't allow for specific meeting times right now. I've had people tell me to swing by a store to have it programmed. I cannot find any such stores. Each lead I've been given has fallen through. I would rather pay someone for their time.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas and I hope I'm not coming off the wrong way but I really want to move to the next step and this is the only way I see myself moving to the next step. Hopefully someone out there can help me out. Thanks again.

IndyRick

HI, I'm Rick, N9GSU. :)

Reading your post, I think you and I have a lot in common. I tried to send you a PM, but couldn't locate the link to do that. If you want to send me a private message, we'll chat. :)

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Rick, indysafe317 only has 3 posts, so the forum policies won't allow that user to accept PMs. That will get turned on automatically after he makes 10 posts, I believe.

indysafe317, I used to own an FT-60. Good radio. What firehouse are you at? Depending on the timing, I could probably stop by some evening after I get off work. I work downtown and generally leave the office in the 5:30-6:00pm time frame.

indysafe317

Rick, indysafe317 only has 3 posts, so the forum policies won't allow that user to accept PMs. That will get turned on automatically after he makes 10 posts, I believe.

indysafe317, I used to own an FT-60. Good radio. What firehouse are you at? Depending on the timing, I could probably stop by some evening after I get off work. I work downtown and generally leave the office in the 5:30-6:00pm time frame.
Looks like I have to have 10 messages to pm. I am on the inguns website and have full privileges there. Not sure if your part of that site or not. They have a Ham forum as well. Never thought it would be this difficult to communicate on a communication site. :))

Anyway, I'm at station 36 out by Geist. In the meanwhile, I'll try and post a few more messages so I can send you a pm with my information. I'll check my settings and see if your able to send me an email or if that is restricted to.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I tried to send you a PM on the INGO forum, but your mailbox is full.

indysafe317

don't give up on me!

My fault, they lowered the amount of inbox saves to 50 and it filled up. I think I got it cleared out and I was able to send you a pm from there.want sure if that was you or not.

W9DTC

Premium Subscriber
I'm happy to help. Email w9dtc at arrl dot net.

I'm on the north side of Indy in Hamilton county. Let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.