Looking for the right scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoops

Long time lurker, first time poster, Im trying to find a scanner that can scan Scott County IA, Fire, Police, Ems channels, But with all the narrow banding, P25 and all that(I really have no clue about any of that stuff) Im looking for both a mobile and handheld scanner that will last a few years with all the changes and monitor the local frequencies. Thank you.

(Mods If this is in the wrong spot please move accordingly)

eagleswings01

Welcome to RR! Knowing your budget would be very helpful as it immediately narrows down what options are available to you.

N8IAA

Long time lurker, first time poster, Im trying to find a scanner that can scan Scott County IA, Fire, Police, Ems channels, But with all the narrow banding, P25 and all that(I really have no clue about any of that stuff) Im looking for both a mobile and handheld scanner that will last a few years with all the changes and monitor the local frequencies. Thank you.

(Mods If this is in the wrong spot please move accordingly)

Right now, any analog trunking scanner that can decode EDACS network standard. Your county is analog for now. If it ever goes digital, you will not be able to monitor. The reason being, it will be Provoice. Which no scanner made can decode. State questions should be asked in the appropriate state forum:) That way, you can get the correct info.
HTH,
Larry

eagleswings01

Whatever will work for my needs at the cheapest price possible... maybe the $200 range.

I don't believe that you will find any digital scanner at that price range. They start at about double that and go up considerably from there.

N8IAA

Right now, any analog trunking scanner that can decode EDACS network standard. Your county is analog for now. If it ever goes digital, you will not be able to monitor. The reason being, it will be Provoice. Which no scanner made can decode. State questions should be asked in the appropriate state forum:) That way, you can get the correct info.
HTH,
Larry
Scoops, getting a digital scanner will let you listen to the IA state system. It won't let you listen to your county's digital EDACS system. You can, however, use an analog trunking scanner to monitor your county's analog TGID's. Right now, you can still monitor the two systems you listed at the beginning for around $200. Again, the right place to find out what you really need, is in the IA state forum further down the forums page. You will get more information from those who monitor your location:)
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.