• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for trc-457 parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2rga

I have recently bought back a Navaho TRC-457 that my Wife's Father owned in the late 70's before he passed away. I'm trying to get the radio back in operating working order. the only problem I have left is the Channel selector and the headphone plug the plug can wait.

I had bought a replacement but not realizing the ribbon cable has been cut off of it and being a older radio I do not want to unsolder the ribbon cable to find it breaking and not being able to re- soldier it.
So I'm in need for a replacement. attached is what the full ribbon cable with Channel selector under looks like.
If you have a radio trc-457 for sale that can be used for parts and the selector is good Please let me know.
If you have the part please let me know. as you see the part number is written on it.

thank you this would mean the world to my wife as she wants to get this working again in memory of her father.

Attachments

• 20140302_224543.jpg
    20140302_224543.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 738

Dawn

There's the old saying about if life gives you lemons....

Well, if you have a functioning switch and enough ribbon cable that connects the switch to the display, you're 9/10'ths home on a repair without having to resort to building anything up on perf board or doing any heroics.

If somebody cut the ribbon cable after the switch/led's fixing this is trivial, it's just going to take a little time. There's no rocket science here. The flex cable after this point plugs into that connector on the edge of the board. From what I can see on the schematic, you have the 8 bcd lines going directly to the programmable divider, ground, 4.68V, and the unlock circuit through D40. Get yourself some ribbon cable and carefully duplicate the flex board by soldering to the pads under the edge connector the board and bring the cable out and around the end of the board. Solder the other side of the ribbon cable individual wires to each appropriate solder pad that's on the flex cable between the switch and display. This is a hard wire solution to the flex cable and edge connector. Why spend the bux trying to find another when you have the hard part already done for you? All the wires are parallel to each other after leaving the switch and display. That should make it very easy to duplicate with a straight piece of ribbon cable after soldering to the switch pads. The wires should line up linearlly when you solder to the bottom of the connector with no wires having to criss-cross.

You show a N2, so if that's your call, you've been around a while. This should be well within your capabilities. With the cover on, who would know?

n2rga

Thank you for that. But I think I was not clear sorry
I do not want to risk messing up what I have until I have a good replacement. the one I have does not work on some channels, if I move the selector back and forth I can lock it in The replacement I have is the one with the cut ribbon cable. I started De-soldering it to see if it would mess up the cable and It looks like it will not so I might finish the job and then re solder the original one and re solder it back on the working one.
But I really would Like a working together replacement with display
Yes I was licensed in 1992

Orbieswar

can you post a picture of the complete switch you bought as a replacement.
If its no good to you I know a person who might be interested in it.

n2rga

I would not sell it until the rig is fixed. If I can get a replacement with the ribbon and display attached I will sell it. If I can't replace it I will have to use it and de-Solder and re-Solder on the Ribbon Cable.

Attachments

• 20140302_225118.jpg
    20140302_225118.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 670

Dawn

Still all is not lost. You can purchase a replacement display for current radios, usually in blue already mounted on a board in .36" and .58" and likewise, use ribbon cable to duplicate the tracks in the flex board to the switch. You're luckier here. The sister TRC-458 used a unified display. I'm not sure if the display is common cathode or common anode as the manual DA-076 designation doesn't cross to anything I have on file or on the net. If you have another one or someone can help out, they can tell you what the generic was.

You have another alternative if your clock isn't working. There's a guy on E-bay that sells a drop in frequency counter for these radios where the clock went. Easy installation and reads transmit and receive if you get the radio working and don't want to bother with the display.

Consider yourself very lucky if this radio is otherwise working. Many chips on this 858 chassis are unobtainum now and the audio chip is usually dead in them. I'd replace the caps around the audio amp if it's working ASAP. If not, there's a slight mod that you can use a TA-7222 with some crossing of leads and a few component changes. Luckily this board and variants are in plentiful supply among the first generation 40 channel units. It's pretty much the same board as the Cobra 138 and 139XL as well as many of the early ssb presidents and it's sister mobile, the TRC-449, many others too.

If you get the radio working, it would be in your best interest to entirely re-cap the electrolytics if you're looking to restore it an make it a daily user. There's a guy on E-bay that's been selling a complete kit

n2rga

Thanks for that Yes was going to re-cap later on. The freq counter is nice but not the way my wife remembers it.

Orbieswar

No worries

I would not sell it until the rig is fixed. If I can get a replacement with the ribbon and display attached I will sell it. If I can't replace it I will have to use it and de-Solder and re-Solder on the Ribbon Cable.

I understand I would do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.