Looking for VHF base marine-band antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvawatch

Hello, I'm so used to scanning antennas that I'm not exactly sure about this one. My parents have a house on a bay and they want a marine radio in the house so that they can have contact with whomever is out on the boat and listen to incoming boats, etc. I'm trying to find them a sweet antenna for transmitting and receiving. Here are the things I'm looking for..

Height: mounted on a 2 story house, can have a mast several feet high
Surrounding land: on water, trees about the height of the house nearby
Other antennas: a tv antenna on the roof
Size: any realistic size
Price: willing to pay up to a couple hundred, however, around 100 would be best
Band: 156 to 174 transmit/receive
Wattage: 25 watts or higher
Durability: Able to withstand high winds, however, doesn't need to be specifically a marine antenna
Gain: As much as I can get, since it will be land mounted, therefore no roll or pitch of a boat to interfere.

On the expensive range, ive been looking at this http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT17.html

on a cheaper range, ive been looking at this http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT10MBS.html

are there other antennas that would be good for this?

i know there are some antenna experts around these threads and id really appreciate your help. i hope ive given adequate info.

Thanks!

Andrew

Last edited:

RADIOGUY2002

Martime

Check out digitalantenas, see my previous post on base install's. It fits your needs pretty close or sherpad antenas.

Hope this helps

A marine radio installed on land will require a FCC license; regardless of who you are planning to communicate with, including pleasure boat users.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
All things considered, if they want to listen to boat traffic you already know how to do that. When it comes to communicating with the boat out on the bay, that's what a cell phone is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.