• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking for walkie-talkies for a school

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Ok, next question is: what vendors are considered reliable?

Motorola
Kenwood
Icom

Those should be at the top of your list.
There are other manufacturers, but you don't need top tier public safety radios, and you don't want more Chinese junk radios. Those three brands will get you a high quality radio with a good reputation, and will fit in your budget.

Do not walk into this with a pre-chosen brand/model radio. That's the quick way to get hosed. You need to consider all your options from different vendors/brands. Motorola isn't the only manufacturer of quality radios, keep your mind open...

If you work at a school that is taxpayer funded, as in State, county, city or public school district, you should absolutely talk to your procurement/purchasing department FIRST, well before talking to vendors. There are existing multi-state contracts that will save you a lot of money (NASPO/ValuePoint). If your purchasing department hasn't heard of these, ask them to research it. Those contracts will get you a flat % off the list price. It makes purchasing's job much easier, and it prevents all the haggling/arguing over prices.

If you can share which state you are in, or more specific location, someone here may have some suggestions of reputable radio shops you can talk to, or even specific ones you should avoid.

Have a good idea of what you want. Be specific with the dealers. Don't let them sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need, they will try. You just want X number of UHF analog radios with certain accessories. Make sure you include some extra batteries, antennas and a few other things. Get that priced fixed in the quote, and compare it to the others. Some vendors make most of their money off the accessory sales.
Make sure they know you have an existing valid FCC license, so they don't try to sell you something that won't work with it.

hp8920

Ok, next question is: what vendors are considered reliable?
You need to do some local research and actual human contact instead of sitting on your chair in front of the computer. Talk to other schools, see what dealer they use, what they were sold, and their opinion. You also want to talk with the local PD and 911 center to see if they have anything they want schools to do.

If you hire a security company, see who their vendor is. Hospitals, taxi companies, local factories, construction companies could be good references. Generally, anybody who likes (or totally hates) their dealer will be happy to talk about their experience, especially if you identify yourself as a local school.

When you find a candidate dealer, ask them questions. Will they provide demo units? They should send somebody to your site to evaluate conditions and your operations. What experience do they have, particularly with other schools? Can they give references? They want your cash, so make them work for it. Talk to multiple dealers, not just the first one you come across. Shop based on total value, not just on cost.

Consider ongoing costs. At minimum, you'll need to replace batteries and antennas in a few years. You'll need to buy new radios for growth, but also replace lost and stolen ones and repair broken ones. Make them show you expected costs. Will they guarantee these or lock in prices? Does a service contract and accidental damage coverage make sense? Does leasing or financing the system make sense too? Your school's business office/accountant should be involved.

Pick up the phone and call people. These are the basics of doing business.

In terms of manufacturers, you can see all the major brands on these forums: Motorola, Kenwood, Icom. Harris and BK won't have anything in your price range. Hytera is cheap and honestly often better than Motorola, but has multiple bans by the US Government due to their ownership by the Chinese military, I would avoid for this reason.

Last edited:

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! From what I see, I’ll need to get the Motorola software, since it doesn’t look like CHIRP supports it. Does the Motorola software have any hidden cost? Their site isn’t clear.
CHIRP??? No...that's for CCRs and ham radios. CPS for Motorola is now free, so you don't have to worry about that cost.

The CP100d and CP200d are both fine and very suitable radios for what you are trying to do. And yes, they can be upgraded to digital at a later time.

Wauk620

KD9PQM
Premium Subscriber
Having been involved in EMS and Comms for over 40 years, just some final thoughts - take the advice of KevinC and mmckenna, they are the experts. Given society today and our schools, ask yourself - what is the price of a child worth? When the SHTF, WILL YOUR COMMS BE RELIABLE? Why do you think FDs and PDs spend so much on their comm equip? Because civilians’ lives depend on it, as well as theirs. Thoughtful planning and appropriate monies spent now prevent regrets (or worse) later. Prudence my friend. - John KD9PQM

dryfb

I didn't read through every message but my dad bought Kenwood NX1302NUK radios for a warehouse and they have worked GREAT! They had some problems on 12.5 kHz NXDN but he switched to 6.25 and no more issues. I'd say get NX1300NUK 5-watt version, either with a screen or without. They are fabulous budget commercial radios. They also support low security encryption which a school may want. If you want better encryption or more features look into the NX3300 or NX5300 radios. But I'm just a ham, so listen to mmckenna! Although I am just a ham I am more familiar with public safety radios than most other hams.

Namibia

Why do you think FDs and PDs spend so much on their comm equip?

Because they are responding to a building engulfed in flames, they aren't radioing a teacher to tell them a kid's mom is there to pick him up.

Namibia

But the general public (which includes people that want to cause harm) have no business listening to the school operations or how planned events are to be secured.

If it's a public school, people don't have any less business listening to it than any other public service (fire/ems/police/public works). I don't know what kind of "security" measures you think schools implement at events, or what listening to it can really do.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If it's a public school, people don't have any less business listening to it than any other public service (fire/ems/police/public works). I don't know what kind of "security" measures you think schools implement at events, or what listening to it can really do.
Uh, no.

This is EXACTLY where encryption should be used. Schools are dealing with children and children with issues. There's zero reason why anyone needs to listen in on that.

Recent history has already shown us that there are those in the country that have no issues at all shooting children at school. Protecting them at all costs is what my taxpayer dollars go for.

I was actually very happy when my son graduated high school a few weeks back that he had made it all the way through without a school shooting or any other drama.

6079smithw

For a while I've been running a 100% lifetime guarantee Baofeng repair program. It starts with collecting them all up, and visiting the nearest long-distance rifle range. And when I tell people this I emphasize NO, I am NOT joking; .223 or .556 is a guaranteed way to fix your Baofeng troubles quick, fast and in a hurry ‼️
.22 Mag will suffice for those on a tight budget, just keep the target at 100 yds. max.

12dbsinad

Uh, no.

This is EXACTLY where encryption should be used. Schools are dealing with children and children with issues. There's zero reason why anyone needs to listen in on that.

Recent history has already shown us that there are those in the country that have no issues at all shooting children at school. Protecting them at all costs is what my taxpayer dollars go for.

I was actually very happy when my son graduated high school a few weeks back that he had made it all the way through without a school shooting or any other drama.
I don't think I've ever heard of a school shooting that the nutjob planned out by listening to the school radios. They usually walk in by a unsecured door.

I'm more worried about "furries" corrupting kids when their classmates hiss, growl, scratch, claw, etc. and go to the bathroom in a litter box at school.

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
I don't think I've ever heard of a school shooting that the nutjob planned out by listening to the school radios. They usually walk in by a unsecured door.

I'm more worried about "furries" corrupting kids when their classmates hiss, growl, scratch, claw, etc. and go to the bathroom in a litter box at school.
My gawd...which state do you reside in?

12dbsinad

My gawd...which state do you reside in?
My granddaughter reside in Mass.
The school she goes to has to allow "string time" because a student thinks she's a cat, as well as the parents and they and students have to accept.
Anyway, getting of topic here but bottom line is society is severely messed up and that is VERY concerning to me. More than worrying about encrypting school radios because of some fobia that some school shooter may listen in, which has never been the case because they could care less.

Status
Not open for further replies.