• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking to Buy a Handheld Cobra, Uniden or Midland CB, need advice on everything

Akuriko

Friday Harbor,Washington , in the San Juan Islands
Good Morning, in 5 days I am buying a pair of CB handheld radios, so I have a question about these brands which one is good and 2nd is any problems I should know about on these radios or the brand to make my decision easier on the purchase?

the models are the following

niceguy71

just curious, so what did you get??? it's been 5 months since you posted so you should have a good idea of how good/bad whatever you got is.... I've heard ok things about the Cobra... the others are junk... what are you using them for? if it's outside make sure you buy a BNC connection 51 inch telescoping antenna's off amazon and they may talk back and forth to each other for a mile or so... the rubber ducky antenna they come with maybe good for a few hundred yards........ if you had planned to use them from car to car you can't use an Antenna inside a car .... the CB waves won't get out... you have to use car antenna's on the outside of the cars....

niceguy71

I know the poster was buying two of them.., two Randy's would be expensive .,.. and if the poster wanted them for a one time car trip... The poster would also have to get mobile antennas so looking at $500 for two Randy's and two antennas never mind 51 inch antennas to make them really great at a camp site,.,. If I had seen the post 5 months ago I would have said the cobra road talker comes with the CB and a small. Car antenna for $130 bucks.... And if they really want them just for driving (maybe two teenagers are getting Jeeps?) I would say that Midland 75-822 looks pretty nice easy CB for mobile and can still be used as a handheld... The randy is a little awkward for mobile use... Power wire underneath antenna wire on top.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I use the Midland 75-822 from time to time due to the mobile and handheld options, but I rarely use it handheld. I also owned the Cobra 75 WX, but sold it and kept the Midland.