Looking to buy a new scanner ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

djmadmatt

So my old Pro 50 just doesnt cut it for me anymore. I want to buy a home unit that will do trunking. I don't think we have any digital channels here yet but am not quite sure. I'm in Erie County Pennsylvania.

Erie County, Pennsylvania (PA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

So what does everyone like? I would like to be able to program it with my Windows 7 Computer as well. I have a friend who is putting together a frequency list in exel for us.

Uniden? GRE, Rat Shack?

I need some suggestions.

Thanks!

mciupa

Hi djmadmatt,welcome to RadioReference :)
Take a look at Uniden BCT-15X or RadioShack Pro-160.

djmadmatt

That BCT15X Looks like a really nice piece. I think I'm going to get one.

Does anyone make "ARC-XT Pro for Dummies?" or "ARC-XT Pro 101?" hahahahah ... I was playing with the trial and it looks like it does everything.

The software manual isnt too bad but, it isnt very specific on some certain things that a newbie might not know.

djmadmatt

Thanks for the info. Maybe i'll try out Freescan first just to get a feel for programing. Especially if its a little more basic and easier to use.

w0kie

ARC looks complicated but there are easy ways to use it

I cut my baby teeth with ARC 246 hooked to a Uniden 246T hand held. I have now added ARC-XT Pro hooked to my Uniden BCT15x desk top. All I know how to do is either run the ARC virtual scanner which puts the Uniden display up on your computer screen or have ARC connect to radio reference.com and download the channels of choice.. In connecting to radio reference I pick what I want to scan, click the IMPORT buttion, wait for all the channels to load into ARC, say yes to the channels on the ARC list that I want to lock out, click the download button after telling ARC to erase all the existing channels on my scanner and I'm done. It's really very simple. In my case I scan the police channels in my part of town and the fire trucks all across town. In this city the fire trucks go to most of the ambulance calls to help.

rvictor

And be sure to read the rest of the thread where numerous posters attempt to explain that it works just like it should. A lack of understanding by one user hardly constitutes a poorly designed product. There's nothing to fix because it's not broken.

I was so pleased with my BCD396XT that I went out and bought a BC346XT in addition. There may be some things that I would have done differently if it had been up to me, but nothing that I could describe as a defect or poor design. If I had it to do again, I'd buy them again without hesitation.

Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.