SDS100/SDS200: Looking to get a SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erocus

W5MWM
Thanks! It's great. Just finally got the drop in charger last week to complete my setup. Just need to get some better 3M tape to attach the gps module to the windshield.

NA9X

Premium Subscriber
I see OP already bought one; congrats and enjoy... FWIW you can call HRO and ask about a discount on the SDS100, I got mine for $599.

Erocus

W5MWM
I see OP already bought one; congrats and enjoy... FWIW you can call HRO and ask about a discount on the SDS100, I got mine for $599.
Nice. Yeah I've had it awhile. It's great! I just use the aftermarket 800mhz antenna and that's all it needs. No need for an attic installed antenna. I use that antenna for my Yaesu ft300d!

55engine

Premium Subscriber
I’ll tell you one thing right now about the SDS 100 you cannot block the radio like you can with the 436 my SDS 100 skips transmissions or cuts transmissions off white people are talking I’m much happier with my 436 and 536 I do like the SDS 100 because you can change The color

55engine

Premium Subscriber
I’ll tell you one thing right now about the SDS 100 you cannot lock the radio like you can with the 436 my SDS 100 skips transmissions or cuts transmissions off white people are talking I’m much happier with my 436 and 536 I do like the SDS 100 because you can change The color

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
I am a latecomer to this thread but having owned an SDS100 for over a year I would second most if not all of the advice here. The Remtronix 800mhz antenna is definitely worth purchasing as it greatly improves reception in the 800mhz band and actually does ok with local UHF and VHF-Hi reception. The extra battery pack and drop in chargers are must haves as well. I do have the ARC 536 software mainly because I have a lot of Butel files for the conventional systems in the various places I visit so it made it very easy to load them into the SDS 100. I exclusively use Sentinel for Trunked systems. The radio pretty much matches my Unications in reception of simulcast systems, and of course is much more flexible. New users should be aware that with so many settings options it isn't hard to accidentally change a setting so that you don't receive the favorite list you program. Putting in the wrong zip code when location scanning is enabled, forgetting to select the list in "Scan Selection", accidentally disabling a system via quick key or not enabling a service type are some of the many beginner's mistakes I made. I got great service from ScannerMaster but there are certainly other reputable purchase points. Good luck to the new owners.

(I agree that the issue described about transmissions cut off sounds like a priority is enabled. My SDS100 is far superior to my 436HP for reception of simulcast systems)

K4SEH

I am a latecomer to this thread but having owned an SDS100 for over a year I would second most if not all of the advice here. The Remtronix 800mhz antenna is definitely worth purchasing as it greatly improves reception in the 800mhz band and actually does ok with local UHF and VHF-Hi reception. The extra battery pack and drop in chargers are must haves as well. I do have the ARC 536 software mainly because I have a lot of Butel files for the conventional systems in the various places I visit so it made it very easy to load them into the SDS 100. I exclusively use Sentinel for Trunked systems. The radio pretty much matches my Unications in reception of simulcast systems, and of course is much more flexible. New users should be aware that with so many settings options it isn't hard to accidentally change a setting so that you don't receive the favorite list you program. Putting in the wrong zip code when location scanning is enabled, forgetting to select the list in "Scan Selection", accidentally disabling a system via quick key or not enabling a service type are some of the many beginner's mistakes I made. I got great service from ScannerMaster but there are certainly other reputable purchase points. Good luck to the new owners.

(I agree that the issue described about transmissions cut off sounds like a priority is enabled. My SDS100 is far superior to my 436HP for reception of simulcast systems)

Can someone point me to the model #/Product # of the 800mhz antenna that is recommended? Thanks in advance!!

K4SEH

Thanks for taking the time to write this article. I bought the Remtronix 820S and like it a lot.
Thank you for the info. I will be ordering that model then.

I have both of these antennas.

The 820S works well on 700/800MHz systems, which covers the multiple trunked systems in use in my area. It's acceptable on Uhf, which Dallas (city) police & fire use, but lacks performance on Vhf-high, which is used by Dallas County, and some of the smaller towns.

The 842s still handles the 700/800 trunks, but also does well on Vhf and Uhf.
Thanks!! I appreciate the previous 2 posters pointing out the multi-band coverage differences. That does make a difference for me as we still do have some agencies using VHF in my area even though the larger ones are on P25.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
800Mhz:
Remtronix REM-820S

Just as good performance, but it is taller but covers VHF/UHF/800MHz Tri-Band (136-174/420-470/800-900MHz).
Remtronix REM-842S
I have both of these antennas.

The 820S works well on 700/800MHz systems, which covers the multiple trunked systems in use in my area. It's acceptable on Uhf, which Dallas (city) police & fire use, but lacks performance on Vhf-high, which is used by Dallas County, and some of the smaller towns.

The 842s still handles the 700/800 trunks, but also does well on Vhf and Uhf.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
I’m looking to get an SDS 100 too! Using a G5 for along time and loving it! Looking for a synopsis. I’m thinking:
DMR
Sentinel
Case? Doesnt it come with a charger?
antenna?

ready…go! Best tips welcome

usmiladim

I’m looking to get an SDS 100 too! Using a G5 for along time and loving it! Looking for a synopsis. I’m thinking:
DMR
Sentinel
antenna?

ready…go! Best tips we
Bearcat Warehouse has tg
The SDS100 as a bundle price that includes the antenna and case.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
DMR
Sentinel
antenna?

ready…go! Best tips welcome
It does come with a charger. The included cable is used both for power, as well as connecting to your PC for programming and updates. Extra, and longer, cables are found easily and cheaply on Amazon.

Sentinel will be needed to maintain the database used by the scanner, and for applying any firmware updates (none current; supposedly one or more may be in the works). You can install Sentinel before you receive the scanner, and use it to become familiar with programming. You can also create one or more Favorites lists to be loaded into your scanner upon receipt.

It will come with an antenna, though there are several available third party antennas that might do a better job for you. See hexagon's post above for a couple of examples. For your county, where a number of the agencies use Vhf & Uhf, but you also have an 800MHz trunked system, the 842S might be your best option.

There are several Wiki pages with more information.
(this page has links to YouTube video's on programming & using your scanner.

While it appears that the DMR upgrade would be useful to you, do not purchase that from whoever handles your purchase for the scanner. They charge a premium of $10 or more to do what you can do yourself direct from Uniden. Also, while I doubt you will have any problems with your new scanner, I would hold off purchasing the DMR upgrade until you have had the scanner for enough time to confirm there are no problems with it, and you confirm your decision to keep it rather than return to buy a different scanner.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
It does come with a charger. The included cable is used both for power, as well as connecting to your PC for programming and updates. Extra, and longer, cables are found easily and cheaply on Amazon.

Sentinel will be needed to maintain the database used by the scanner, and for applying any firmware updates (none current; supposedly one or more may be in the works). You can install Sentinel before you receive the scanner, and use it to become familiar with programming. You can also create one or more Favorites lists to be loaded into your scanner upon receipt.

It will come with an antenna, though there are several available third party antennas that might do a better job for you. See hexagon's post above for a couple of examples. For your county, where a number of the agencies use Vhf & Uhf, but you also have an 800MHz trunked system, the 842S might be your best option.

There are several Wiki pages with more information.
(this page has links to YouTube video's on programming & using your scanner.

While it appears that the DMR upgrade would be useful to you, do not purchase that from whoever handles your purchase for the scanner. They charge a premium of $10 or more to do what you can do yourself direct from Uniden. Also, while I doubt you will have any problems with your new scanner, I would hold off purchasing the DMR upgrade until you have had the scanner for enough time to confirm there are no problems with it, and you confirm your decision to keep it rather than return to buy a different scanner.
Thank you all for the feedback. So any Upgrades through Uniden? Interesting. Very very helpful. I’ll read through all of this carefully!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for the feedback. So any Upgrades through Uniden? Interesting. Very very helpful. I’ll read through all of this carefully!
To purchase any desired upgrades from Uniden, first register your scanner at their site.

Create an account & log in.

1637624087552.png
Click the link to Register a product.
(Once registered, use the 'All My Scanners' link if you need to review what is registered.)

To register, and to pruchase a key, you will need both the serial # on the label on the scanner, as well as the ESN (Electronic Serial Number). You can view the ESN by pressing Menu on the scanner, then scrolling down & selecting the Settings menu. The ESN can be viewed on the See Scanner Info menu item.

Uniden charges $60 for the DMR Upgrade. Purchasing that same upgrade along with the scanner adds $75 at ScannerMaster or BearcatWarehouse. Zip Scanners charges $89.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
To purchase any desired upgrades from Uniden, first register your scanner at their site.

Create an account & log in.

View attachment 112641
Click the link to Register a product.
(Once registered, use the 'All My Scanners' link if you need to review what is registered.)

To register, and to pruchase a key, you will need both the serial # on the label on the scanner, as well as the ESN (Electronic Serial Number). You can view the ESN by pressing Menu on the scanner, then scrolling down & selecting the Settings menu. The ESN can be viewed on the See Scanner Info menu item.

Uniden charges $60 for the DMR Upgrade. Purchasing that same upgrade along with the scanner adds $75 at ScannerMaster or BearcatWarehouse. Zip Scanners charges $89.
Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.