Looking to get back into scanning, p-25 phase 2

Hey there title kinda lays it out, I've been wanting to get back into scanning for a while but here in North central WV everything has went digital p25 phase 2... So I'm 100% new to that and need some direction lol any help would be greatly appreciated

marjam49

Welcome back! If you don't have. P25 phase 2 scanner, which you are probably aware, you won't be able to receive those frequencies. I have the whistler trx1 and it picks up everything I need it to minus encrypted frequencies. There are other scanners that will pick them up as well, but thought I would let you know what I have. Good luck!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums. I'm assuming you'll want to bring in WV SIRN? Although the TRS itself is P25 Phase-II capable, all of the talkgroups on the system are FDMA, you'll only be able to track mode "D" talkgroups. Mode "DE" talkgroups are fully encrypted and therefore cannot be tracked by any receiver. Any scanner on the list linked here should work to bring in the system as it exists today. If they decide to switch the system to TDMA talkgroups (mode "T") then you'll need a TDMA capable scanner (see linked list again). Hope this helps

M105

If you are competent with computers, buy yourself an SDR dongle or two and invest $25.00 in DSDPlus Fastlane. An old PC makes a great home scanner for P25 and other digital modes. It also allows you to explore the systems around you and discover what is and isn't encrypted without spending a lot of money. If you later decide to buy a shiny new digital scanner you will at least know what to expect to receive with it.

There is a forum on here for computer aided monitoring. It is packed with information on SDRs and DSDPlus Fastlane. It isn't rocket science and it is quite fun to explore.

fredva

Feed Provider
WV SIRN administrators are slowly upgrading their transmitters from Phase 1 to Phase 2, so even if your area isn't using Phase 2 yet, a Phase 2 scanner would probably be best for the future, if you decide to go the scanner route instead of SDR. Phase 2 scanners will pick up Phase 1 mode as well. If you could narrow down whether you would like a handheld or a base/mobile version, that would help with the recommendations.

If you are competent with computers, buy yourself an SDR dongle or two and invest $25.00 in DSDPlus Fastlane. An old PC makes a great home scanner for P25 and other digital modes. It also allows you to explore the systems around you and discover what is and isn't encrypted without spending a lot of money. If you later decide to buy a shiny new digital scanner you will at least know what to expect to receive with it.

There is a forum on here for computer aided monitoring. It is packed with information on SDRs and DSDPlus Fastlane. It isn't rocket science and it is quite fun to explore.
Yeah my pc into a scanner? This I need to know more about

rrobinso84

Premium Subscriber
Yeah my pc into a scanner? This I need to know more about
It's true! An SDR dongle (looks like a USB stick) and DSDPlus with the Fast Lane purchase ($25 for life) is a great way to start!!! Especially if your system of interest is P25. I have two running on an old laptop and I hear 10x the traffic compared to my SDS200.

It's a great way to get back into the hobby, then you can decide from there if you want to sink more (aka "invest") into it.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
If you decide to go the SDR route, you need to understand that it can be a complex task to set up initially. Some software is easier to set up than others; the more complex software like DSD+ Fast Lane or OP25 can run on older / less capable PCs. "Easier" software like SDR Trunk requires higher end PCs to run without errors. The SDRs themselves need to be considered. At the very least, make sure that they have a temperature-controlled oscillator - look for TCXO in their description. Depending on the software, it might require one or two SDRs to cover the frequency spread of the system / site you are trying to monitor. Bottom line is that there are many factors to consider.

WV SIRN administrators are slowly upgrading their transmitters from Phase 1 to Phase 2, so even if your area isn't using Phase 2 yet, a Phase 2 scanner would probably be best for the future, if you decide to go the scanner route instead of SDR. Phase 2 scanners will pick up Phase 1 mode as well. If you could narrow down whether you would like a handheld or a base/mobile version, that would help with the recommendations.
Handheld