Looking to get Licensed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpfsr

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I live in CT, in the New Haven area, and while I've always had a knack with computers and electronics, my wife didn't have the patience for some of my hobbies and interests. She was okay with the SciFi and reading and firearms, and she barely, and I mean barely, tolerated my interest in computers and electronics.I had my own area from it that didn't intrude on any of her space (depending on where we lived, basically the attic or basement) and I didn't ignore or neglect her or our kids in any way, in a nutshell, she hated the computers and while I always wanted to get into amateur radio, it wouldn't be worth the divorce it would have caused.

Well, things change in the worst and most unfortunate ways, and this past March she passed away at 40 years old just a few months shy of our 20th wedding anniversary. Coping with the grief has been a day to day process and even after 4 months it hasn't been easier. But, things can't stay stagnant, and I have to go forward.

One thing I can now pursue, though, is HAM radio. I understand that I need to get a Technician license. I did look to see where there are any testing sites in my area and it didn't look good, most of them were not far, but our vehicle blew the transmission and what money I had was used towards funeral expenses for my wife, so right now I am dependent on public transportation.

If anyone reading this in the CT area, do you know of any tests that might be administered, say, like at a city library in the New Haven area on a Saturday? Most of the tests were done at night way off the bus route with no chance for me to get there, and the only other weekend class is in another county and as it is it also isn't close to the bus line and even though its closer I would have to leave out at like 500am and they do not run that early on weekends.

I'm hoping that somewhere in this area there is a test administered on a weekend that can be served by a bus.... I'm sure a public library would allow the use of a few tables for the test to be taken in it's facilities and it is central to more people, and not as intimidating as going to a club house or someones home. I've heard all sorts of bad rumors over the years, a few friends who were going for testing back in the late 80s when you needed to learn code said some of the old timers who gave the tests passed you on whether they liked you or not or based on who you knew or if you looked like a crew cut,coke bottle glasses pen pocket protector kind of guy rather than a guy with (back then) his hair a little too long, a couple of earrings and tattoos.... yes I know it sounds ridiculous but this was the kind of things we were told as young men back then looking to get into ham radio that we would be dealing with.

Now, now I'd just like to find a test I can actually get to, never mind the rest of that baloney....
If anyone knows of anyone in my area that might be of help, or if there are organizations that let you test online, that would be great. There so much info that comes back from google you don't know what is real what is a scam.

Thanks!!!!

Mike

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
The American Radio Relay League (ARRL) has a "Find A Club" locator on its website at -
Search for ARRL Affiliated Clubs
Looking at New Haven, there is a club at Yale. I'd suggest doing your own search on the site with zip codes using areas you can reach by public transportation.

majoco

Stirrer
Coping with the grief has been a day to day process and even after 4 months it hasn't been easier.
My condolences to you on you sad loss and so young too. My wife passed away 4 years ago and it does get slightly better as you remember the good things especially if you can see her in the children and grandkids. I still expect her home at 4.30pm.

I can't help you on your question - I was a professional Marine Radio Officer so all I had to do was a morse test and written regulations - the advice you have been given is all good, find a club with a good 'feel' and helpful people.

cmdrwill

I would like to help take you to a test session, but I am in the Great RF Sinkhole, Los Angeles County, Southern California.

Mpfsr

The American Radio Relay League (ARRL) has a "Find A Club" locator on its website at -
Search for ARRL Affiliated Clubs
Looking at New Haven, there is a club at Yale. I'd suggest doing your own search on the site with zip codes using areas you can reach by public transportation.

Thanks, I am going to explore the ARRL website further, they look like they are THE organization for Amateur Radio, in regards to advancing and promoting it and interfacing with Uncle Sugar. Plus they are also in CT, too, so that might also be helpful.

Mike

Mpfsr

My condolences to you on you sad loss and so young too. My wife passed away 4 years ago and it does get slightly better as you remember the good things especially if you can see her in the children and grandkids. I still expect her home at 4.30
I can't help you on your question - I was a professional Marine Radio Officer so all I had to do was a morse test and written regulations - the advice you have been given is all good, find a club with a good 'feel' and helpful people.

Thank you, as someone who has been through the loss your words carry extra weight because you know the feelings involved.

As for clubs, the websites mentioned in some of the replies point towards some clubs,I mean eventually I'd like to find one but my biggest worry/goal right now if just being able to get the license. I'm also curious if you get your testing and license done through a club are you bound to them, as in your obligated to try to join them first or exclusively?

Oh,by the way, my wife's Dad is a Marine (as he says once you become a Marine its for life). He was in Vietnam then joined a local police force and retired a detective after 44 years about 3 years ago. Step-Dad,too,he was in Vietnam, also. But I salute you, sir, no matter what flag you serve you guys are still a rare breed!

Mike

Mpfsr

I would like to help take you to a test session, but I am in the Great RF Sinkhole, Los Angeles County, Southern California.

To bad you can't do them online.... So your area is really bad for radio? I had some experience with catching air in New York City, I can't vouch for it as far as amateur radio but about 8 years ago a job I was on put us up at a Holiday Inn Express in Carlstdadt, NJ, which is right down the road from The Meadowlands/Giants Stadium, and the actual job was delivering H&M stock from the warehouse in North Arlington into Manhattan (at least my part was, we were on the account already here in CT and were on board to train the new guys when we took over the operation in NJ), and trying to tune in the CB to get a traffic update was a nightmare, getting my iPhone to work (bound to AT&T still at the time) was a nightmare. even getting Sirius radio to get a decent signal was tricky, but anytime you were near the George Washington Bridge someone on the CB with a massive amplifier would blast out Woody Woodpecker laughing recordings and it would bleed onto other channels, not just 19, it was random but at least 3,4 times a hour. Had to be a base station, because it was always there it was just a matter of when

Mpfsr

Great News!!!

W1YU, the Amateur Radio Club at Yale, is offering a test site and they are even offering classes, too, literally right in front of a bus stop near the green in the center of town. Not until September and test in October, but plenty of time to get cracking (or crackling)....

I figured with the problems I've been going through and hurdles I have, they would be like, put this guy in the spam filter but they are really eager to get new folks into the hobby and have been giving me great reference material and answering the questions I have, and believe me, I have them, I was brought up to believe that the only dumb questions are the ones you DON'T ask, so I let them roll, and they are answering away and seem just as eager for me to get licensed as I am!

This is great, this is exactly what I was looking for. The stories a few people I knew who got licensed back in the late 80s early 90s used to tell me about groups and clubs that REQUIRED you to join and if you didn't and pay an enormous dues rate you never seemed to get your license and if you didn't stay (well, pay because if they had the nerve to actually go to a meeting they would be ignored the whole time unless they needed some young guy muscle to help do some labor intensive project/

Well, those older guys are long gone and now that folks my age (49) have more say or are actually on the leadership of clubs and that doesn't happen anymore, it seems like a bunch of men and women having fun enjoying a really fun hobby and that's the way it should be, in my eyes, and this is the very vibe I am getting from the above group,and which all the other groups in the area I'm sure are just as low key and relaxed to the new guys interested in getting into the hobby.

Sorry for rambling, it's just that with the bad stuff I've been through the past year, it's a really good feeling to actually have something to look forward to and be excited about.

Mike

W1YU to offer Technician License Class and Testing this fall

W1YU to offer Technician License Class and Testing this fall | W1YU - The Amateur Radio Club at Yale

Status
Not open for further replies.