Looking to get my first Whistler scanner (TRX-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

prc117f

How does the TRX-2 handle DMR? I can it track DMR trunked systems? I primarily want a desktop scanner for DMR monitoring and analog FM as well.

I have decided to avoid the new Uniden models after years of buying Uniden scanners due to the disaster the new models have been. It seems you have to pay for upgrades just to listen to DMR and the TRX-2 already ships with the feature and no need to mess with licensing etc..

Ubbe

I beleive the TRX-2 price just dropped, but earlier the TRX-2 had the same price as a BCD536HP with the DMR upgrade.

TRX-2 scans all the trunked channels that are programed until it finds a conversation that you haven't locked out. If you monitor all talgroups then it is no problem with that. If you have a busy DMR system with many sites and frequencies and you only select a few TG's to monitor, then it could be a problem.

There are still some bugs with the DMR handling but I am sure they will be fixed as soon as Whistler are done with the NXDN firmware release in late december.

If you haven't had your hands on a TRX-2 then you will probably be suprised if you are used to Unidens latest scanners that gives a professional impression and feeling when you operate them.

/Ubbe

prc117f

Thanks for the info. I decided to order one to see how it goes. I got one for 555 on amazon with saturday ship today.

I like the fact that even owners of the previous models get DMR features free. So it looks like you get more protection/support on your investment. The final straw for me was when Uniden decided to charge people for DMR support after knowing well all the issues buyers had waiting for who knows how long for features stated on the box and then all the other problems.

A goodwill gesture like offering DMR as a thank you for your patience would have done wonders. Looks like Whistler is going to be it. I will see how it works out this Saturday.

k3fs

A goodwill gesture like offering DMR as a thank you for your patience would have done wonders. Looks like Whistler is going to be it. I will see how it works out this Saturday.

Well said. So far Whistler has delivered what they announced and when they said they would. I too am still waiting for features that Uniden announced, and has not delivered.

prc117f

Well said. So far Whistler has delivered what they announced and when they said they would. I too am still waiting for features that Uniden announced, and has not delivered.

I like the fact that they include a discriminator tap output. Something the 536 does not offer. I could care less about GPS,Wifi etc.. just give me a good radio like when Uniden delivered the rocksolid 996XT

I read good reports on DMR audio quality so this is a big plus. Looks like this TRX-2 might be the new 996XT :)

Like the fact NXDN will be a free upgrade as well. this would cover all my needs for non P25 digital.

The remote head is a BIG plus for me. I can actually place the receiver in with the other equipment and have the controls right under my LCD monitor.

Last edited:

prc117f

Card needed to be inserted and removed for it to work. Odd. importing data from the SD

Last edited:

prc117f

So far initial impressions.
Feels kind of like Beta hardware, The unit can only be programmed when it is turned off and the SD card shows up like a disk drive. But on occasion when turning off you get an error message and you need to pull out card, put face plate back on, power up etc..

I suspect all these new scanners must use some common system (Rasberry Pi type cpu/os? to cut costs down). Modern scanners seem like a step backwards compared to the older models when it comes to programming.

BTW: P25 Simulcast nogo on the TRX-2 just like the 536. So it looks like PD has no need for encryption if they run LSM. You do get audio on occasion though but distorted/unreadable like robots.

So in essence if you live in an Area with P25 LSM you are SOL when it comes to trunk tracking.

Going to try out DMR which is what I got this scanner for primarily.

I would say modern scanners are not 100% there yet.

radio3353

So far initial impressions.

BTW: P25 Simulcast nogo on the TRX-2 just like the 536.

Thanks for the update. Not surprising at all. As more Phase 2 simulcast systems come online, more of these scanners will go on the shelf unused for public safety monitoring.

So in essence if you live in an Area with P25 LSM you are SOL when it comes to trunk tracking.

With a consumer scanner, yes. The alternative is to buy a commercial radio if you need to monitor Phase 2 simulcast.

I would say modern scanners are not 100% there yet.

Right. Between SD card issues and not being able to monitor one of the most popular new types of systems coming online, their days are numbered.

prc117f

Thanks for the update. Not surprising at all. As more Phase 2 simulcast systems come online, more of these scanners will go on the shelf unused for public safety monitoring.

With a consumer scanner, yes. The alternative is to buy a commercial radio if you need to monitor Phase 2 simulcast.

Right. Between SD card issues and not being able to monitor one of the most popular new types of systems coming online, their days are numbered.

For DMR so far the audio is excellent. I primarily bought this for DMR and analog.

I do find it surprising that a 2016 model is unable to trunk track P25 I get the impression that R&D funds are very restricted. I have a strong feeling that you will not see scanners able to track these new LSM systems due to restricted funding.

DMR/Analog so far so good which is why I got this for.

prc117f

Cool feature. When doing a regular service scan in a range of frequencies, it will stop and demodulate DMR and provide you the color info,Slot,TGID,Radio ID

Does a great job with DMR.

prc117f

So far works great for searching for new DMR signals doing limit scans are real easy via the front panel and I have found a bunch of DMR transmitters, the slots, color,radio,tgid id. DMR audio is very clear.

So it serves the primary purchase need of DMR monitoring. Analog search it will instant lock the DCS or CTCSS tone.

BTW so much now is DMR that if you have no scanner with DMR search/trunk capability you are missing probably 80% of what is out there in the UHF band.

Gonna set up the discriminator out to log everything on DSD+ for DMR searching.

NOTE: Scanner is solid as long as you do not turn the unit off. It will consistently give you an error requiring removal and reinsertion of the SD card when turning on the scanner.
It seems that these newfangled scanners boot from the SD card but they have a problem shutting down and correctly closing out the file systems on shutdown which cause the scanner to fail consistently on turnup.

They need to recode the shutdown/bootup sequence to do a proper flush to the SD card when the power button is turned off so that issues do not happen on turnup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.