Looking to get my license but question about people to talk to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nd5y

If you are using a scanner try searching these ranges where most repeater outputs and FM simplex frequencies in Texas are and see if you hear anything.
145.1-147.6 in 5 kHz steps.
223.4-225.0 in 20 kHz steps.
441.0-446.5 in 25 kHz steps.
Here are the VHF & UHF band plans used in Texas. I was going to post this link the other day when I listed the search ranges but their web site was down. Now it's back up.
TXVHFFMS also coordinates point-to-point links and a few repeaters in the 420-440 MHz band but doesn't include that range in the band plan for some reason.

ttkoestner

Thanks for all the really good information! Back in the 90's I had a nice well tuned radio and base antenna, and I literally talked all over the world DXing on AM SSB. Stock radio no amplifier. I guess I'm longing to get into the ham version of 11 meter DXing. What would that be?

Also any advice on radio's for when I get my license? Want something easy to program, reliable and future proof. Maybe something that has a large used market.

nd5y

I guess I'm longing to get into the ham version of 11 meter DXing. What would that be?
Mostly on the HF bands (3.5-29.7 MHz) which are listed at

If you didn't already know the ARRL web site has lots more of information that I can put in a forum post.

nd5y

Also any advice on radio's for when I get my license? Want something easy to program, reliable and future proof. Maybe something that has a large used market.
I can't really help with that. That's something you need to decicde yourself.
eHam.net has a product review section that covers almost all common ham equipment.
A lot of the reviews are BS but at least it gives you an idea of most current production and old equipment.

WB9YBM

Been considering getting my license seriously for about a month now. I have a couple of scanners that I have been using to scan the ham band to see how active it is in my location. I have also looked up the local ham towers and frequencies and there are several within 5-10 miles from my location. I also inputted their frequencies in my scanners. Thing is I NEVER hear anyone talking.

If I get my license I will be using a handheld as I do not want to mount an antenna to my home or fool with coax wiring. However I don't want to get my license if there is no action from my house. I'm about 30 miles north of San Antonio TX.

Maybe finding a local ham club would be helpful: get to meet some hams "live" (good first-hand way of getting to know who you're dealing with) while at the same time having easy access to information of what's going on in your area & what it takes to put something together. They'll also be able to help with licensing, if/when you choose that path.

WB9YBM

Want something easy to program, reliable and future proof.

That's becoming an increasing challenge: with technological advancements made as rapidly as they are--and sales departments wanting to put in all the options that they possibly can so they can increase the radio's price--the day of being able to take a radio out of the box and use it without reading the instructions are long gone.

With that being said, many radios now a days are programmed, usually via the front keypad. Many if not all have the option to be programmed by computer via an interconnect cable; I definitely recommend this route.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the really good information! Back in the 90's I had a nice well tuned radio and base antenna, and I literally talked all over the world DXing on AM SSB. Stock radio no amplifier. I guess I'm longing to get into the ham version of 11 meter DXing. What would that be?

If you are looking to DX, you need to take the General exam as well. While conditions are improving, and hopefully a good solar cycle is coming again, unless you use CW or happen to get good propagation on 10m or occassionally 6m, the Technician license is completely useless for DX.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I guess I'm longing to get into the ham version of 11 meter DXing. What would that be?
10 Meters is close to CB.

A Technician license would give you a small part of 10M (28.3-28.5 MHz SSB.
A General and higher will give you all of 10M and all modes along with privileges on the rest of the HF bands as well.

"All band" DC to daylight amateur radios are available, but they are costly. A VHF/UHB mobile unit is in the $300 range, plus the cost of a power supply and antenna/cables. Stick to major brands, Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu (maybe Alinco, too) for your first radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.