Looking to ID mystery HAR station on 1640 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifeguard12

I live in NYC. I recently ran across a Highway Advisory Radio test message on 1640 while scanning the AM band. This a robotic, constantly repeating 24/7 station which states something like:

"This is a test message of the L M Frequency (?) Highway Advisory Radio". I could well be wrong about the "L M Frequency" part. I rarely have great reception of this signal.

I checked the FCC database for NY, NJ, PA and CT and came up blank.

Anyone have any idea where this signal is eminating from and who it belongs to?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Take care, Stephen

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
1640 am

The NYC DOT and NYSDOT both use this frequency for their traffic radio updates. It could have been either one of them running a test,maybe because there was a problem with the system.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Do you mean you checked the database and didn't find any stations, or just this one?

If you didn't know already, HAR stations are listed in the ULS and not the regular AM radio search.

I searched NY, NJ, CT and came up with 28 hits (22 of which are active) on 1640 (1.640 MHz) in the ULS.

lifeguard12

Mystery solved!

Thank you all for your replies! I'm a newbie to the FCC database and was in fact looking in the area for licensed AM stations. Turns out, this TIS belongs to the "Lower Manhattan Development Corporation" a/k/a LMDC (see below). With the robotic voice, I wasn't making the connection between what I thought was "LM Frequency" and "LMDC". Thanks again everyone!

WQJN221, licensed to the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation: two sites:
1. Holland Tunnel, 40-43-30.3/74-00-39.4
2. FDR & Manhattan Bridge, 40-42-34.9/73-59-28.8

Status
Not open for further replies.