Looking to install home surveillance cameras...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBLOCK

Looking for some input of the most affordable way to set up a wireless home surveillance system. Links, model numbers and guidance on what would be the best bang for my buck would be appreciated.

- I am looking to set up 4 cameras inside of each window facing each side of my residence.

- Each window has nearby access to an AC outlet if needed to power the wireless camera to avoid having to change batteries.

- Not too worried about audio - night vision would be a plus

- Looking to record the feeds from the wireless cameras and possibly have access to view the cameras live remotely via my iphone through a compatible app.

- I have WiFi setup for internet/communication access

Thanks in advance...

m-gerty

I use Supercircuits.com for cameras. They have a pretty wide selection.If I read correctly you want to put cameras indoors to watch outdoors? Be aware the cameras with IR illuminators will reflect the IR off the window and blind itself if you don't install at the right angle. Also if the room is lit up you won't be able to see outside at all.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
My non-professional opinion is not to go wireless but rather do wired. I bought our Q-See 16 camera DVR with 12 cameras from Costco.com. I then added a few cameras from www.dealextreme.com (not the highest quality but good enough to watch the dog) and (as mentioned before) Super Circuits (for a cam to shoot down the driveway and an extra IR emitter). I also bought a few power splitters from eBay. I used some BNC to RJ-45/CAT5 baluns from DealExtreme that were about $7 each (for a set).

Wireless may run into interference from wireless networks and anything else. You might also be opening yourself up to people outside your house being able to watch too.

If you were wanting a few wireless ones that connect to your wireless network, I've seen a few on Amazon. A friend at work has one he loves that him and his wife use as a baby monitor. I can ask him the for the make/model.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
FWIW - we installed this system at a friend's day care center. Used 13 cameras, all feeding back to two included 500GB DVRs (8 cams per DVR). They all had IR and motion sensors with customizable zones, plus they had complete control/review capability locally from PCs and secure internet access for remote PC and smartphone control.

Here's the 4-cam version: Micro Center - Night Owl 4BL-45GB 4 Channel H.264 Complete Video Security Kit with 4 Vandal Proof Night Vision Cameras (45ft), D1 Recording, 500GB Hard Drive, with Internet, Smartphone, and Tablet viewing 4BL-45GB

FYI - this particular system feeds power to each cam (from the DVR), so no need to be tied to a nearby AC outlet

Last edited:

Hit_Factor

I shopped once at x10. Com and they substituted like models and refurbished product without notice and refused to answer to it.

Home Security Store has been real good, purchased several alarms systems from them and some x10 components.

Astak Mole is a very easy to setup pan tilt wireless camera, available from Costco. Costco also has systems with DVRs and a very easy to deal with return policy if you are not happy with the gear.

Acti cameras are very good and have DVR software available for free.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

MattJon

I got a good system from homesecuritystore.com. They have resonable prices, maybe not the best quality systems but good enough for home installation if you don't require the top of the line.

questnz

Hold on! start again. All this postings are valid but you must decide on few other important items as there is much more to it.
1. Do you want "of the shelf" 4 x camera + analog DVR solutions or maybe go with IP cameras and NDVR so you can use existing network?
1. Do you want to use cheap analog eg. 480-520 VTL low resoluton cameras or use megapixel 1.3 or higher resolution?
It that, you may want to get PoE Cameras (so you dont have to run Power cables) but get power to cameras via UTP cables. To do that you may need PoE switch or Power Injectors to UTP cables
Do you homework!

Status
Not open for further replies.