• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looking to link a repeater in another state over the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

DylanMadigan

I'm sure this exists, but I don't know what I'm talking about =)

I have a GMRS repeater in my home town. Is it possible to set up a repeater a few states away and have them connected over an internet connection? It would just be cool to hear and talk to each other when any of us are at the vacation house or camping up there.

I know there's restrictions on using other frequencies with GMRS (l cant make pyramids or anything) but if both sites are on the same channel and connected by IP would that be an issue? or would this be something I can only do on ham?

ecps92

You likely would want to search for prior threads [too many to count]
here is one
https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/gmrs-and-linking.382120/#post-3054626

I have a GMRS repeater in my home town. Is it possible to set up a repeater a few states away and have them connected over an internet connection? It would just be cool to hear and talk to each other when any of us are at the vacation house or camping up there.

I know there's restrictions on using other frequencies with GMRS (l cant make pyramids or anything) but if both sites are on the same channel and connected by IP would that be an issue? or would this be something I can only do on ham?

amphibian

Yes, it is possible and doable to set up a repeater in many different locations (cities/states) and have them linked together either by RF (radio) or by VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol)...... not by switched networked provided DSL or telephone dial up..... And, each repeater and/or base station wherever it is can be all on the same GMRS freq pair or they each can be on different GMRS freq pairs. So if you are in NY and using 462.725 pair and go to Chicago and want to use 462.600 pair you can do so. Just remember, make sure if you own the repeater that it does not interfere with anyone else that has a repeater on the same freq, and, make sure if you are going to use (share) a repeater belonging to someone else that they (the owner of the repeater) are ok with you doing linking options on their repeater. Many people still consider linking on GMRS illegal....someday they may come around but until then we have to honor their beliefs. Also, you can not use "out-of-band" (out of GMRS freqs) freqs to do your linking. In addition, let me include this, don't join anyone's repeater network set up for linking unless you have full control over your own equipment. I have repeaters that can be or are linked but I maintain control of all links. I don't allow anyone else to have control over any of my links. Too easy to get into trouble that way. My/our policy is if you don't know the repeater owner(s) and those involved in the repeater link(s) don't join in with them. That's just a policy worth living by in my opinion. Good luck. Let us know if you need help setting it up. I'm sure there are plenty on here that can help you with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.