Looking to purchase a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4taw

Hello,

I have always been around scanners since I was little, and have enjoyed listening to them. I recently became a fire fighter for a local department. My question is what scanner would y'all recommend to listen to PD, FD, and etc. I was issued a pager by the department but have decided to invest in a scanner also.

I was looking at the Uniden BC346XT, but I am up for suggestions on anythin. I know the PD frequencies are trunked, I am just unsure whether i need a digital or what.

Thanks

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Hello. Welcome to RadioReference.com!!!

Scanners do not come programmed because there is a huge difference between one city or county to the next, and because people have different tastes in what to monitor. So, we need to know where you are, and then we can see the specifications for the agencies you want to monitor. After knowing that, then we can suggest a scanner do to the job, if there is one.

For analog scanners I suggest the GRE PSR-300. For digital scanners I suggest the GRE PSR-500. Information on these and most other scanners are in the Wiki section here on RR.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
For analog scanners I suggest the GRE PSR-300. For digital scanners I suggest the GRE PSR-500. Information on these and most other scanners are in the Wiki section here on RR.

And to give a couple of non-GRE options the Analog Uniden BC346XT is a good choice with the Uniden BCD396XT being a great digital choice.
Both GRE and Uniden offer great features and options, you just have to decide which features and options you want :)
Good to have you with us here at RR.com!
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

k4taw

Hello. Welcome to RadioReference.com!!!

Scanners do not come programmed because there is a huge difference between one city or county to the next, and because people have different tastes in what to monitor. So, we need to know where you are, and then we can see the specifications for the agencies you want to monitor. After knowing that, then we can suggest a scanner do to the job, if there is one.

I am near chattanooga, tn. I am mainly wanting to listen to mainly PD and FD

And to give a couple of non-GRE options the Analog Uniden BC346XT is a good choice with the Uniden BCD396XT being a great digital choice.
Both GRE and Uniden offer great features and options, you just have to decide which features and options you want :)
Good to have you with us here at RR.com!
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

Thanks for the input, just something fairly affordable and versatile.

N8IAA

As much as I am disliking myself for saying this, Hamilton County still has a majority of analog TG's on a mixed analog/digital P-25 system. If you want to go cheap, get a 346xt, or, for a little less money, an easier to program GRE-300/Radio Shack Pro-164. Easier to program, not as much memory space. My heart is telling me to suggest a digital, P-25 scanner. My best suggestion is to take this question to the TN forum. There is a great group of guys there in the forum that know that area like the backs of their hands. One, who used to host the ScanChattanooga, Yahoo Groups site, will point you in the right direction.
Larry

k4taw

As much as I am disliking myself for saying this, Hamilton County still has a majority of analog TG's on a mixed analog/digital P-25 system. If you want to go cheap, get a 346xt, or, for a little less money, an easier to program GRE-300/Radio Shack Pro-164. Easier to program, not as much memory space. My heart is telling me to suggest a digital, P-25 scanner. My best suggestion is to take this question to the TN forum. There is a great group of guys there in the forum that know that area like the backs of their hands. One, who used to host the ScanChattanooga, Yahoo Groups site, will point you in the right direction.
Larry

Thanks for the help, I will be sure to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.