Looking to purchase uniden bcd996t any suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayscanall

hi all ive been out of the scanning loop for a while now my last scanner was the radio shack 2006 pro--i now am looking to get back in the listening seen i was thinking of purchasing the uniden bcd996t is this /will this scanner be overkill for i want to use the scanner to listen to police fire emergency services and aircraft ect any suggetions greatly appriciated thanks--ps im in the peel area brampton

SCPD

QRT
Great radio if you can afford it. I've had great service from scannermaster in the US. Quick shipping and good pricing.

ragma

What was your final cost from the states to Canada, for th 996T.

SCPD

QRT
wheelchair said:
Great radio if you can afford it. I've had great service from scannermaster in the US. Quick shipping and good pricing.

As I recall it ended up being about 720 CDN --scanner + exchange (15 cents at that time) + shipping +gst and pst.

Had a look at the scannermaster website today and they've changed the way it calculates shipping--in a good way. Using a current exchange of 1.14 and UPS worldwide express as the delivery method it works out to $711 and change. Good deal compared to Durham Radio $910.86 (including tax).

Also note: UPS worldwide express will mean you pay nothing more when it arrives. Taxes and brokerage are included in the shipping price for this service. Other options may require you to pay when the shipment arrives and the brokerage charge is always higher in that case.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
wheelchair said:
Also note: UPS worldwide express will mean you pay nothing more when it arrives. Taxes and brokerage are included in the shipping price for this service.

Sigh, I wish people would get this right. It's so simple.

UPS Worldwide Express includes brokerage charges. These brokerage charges are built into the cost of the shipment and are calculated when shipped.

Taxes and any applicable duty (doesn't seem there's any duty on scanners) are calculated by Customs when the shipment reaches their hands. UPS cannot precalculate these charges and you will be billed by UPS when your scanner arrives for whatever Canada Customs charges them.

Think about it. You're ordering a scanner worth about $700 Canadian and 14% taxes on
is $98. How much did you pay for your shipping? Probably about $50. Do you really think UPS is eating the $98 tax charge??

My 996 arrived with a COD charge for taxes even though it was shipped Worldwide Express. Shipping charges were $50 from ScannerMaster.

If you choose another level of service that doesn't include brokerage charges, be prepared to pay for brokerage, taxes and possibly duty when the friendly man in brown shows up at your door.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Mike: I work for a company that has an UPS account. If I was to order from scannermaster and give them the account # the package would be cleared using our borkerage firm that our company uses. Since we do a lot of business the rates MIGHT in certain circumstances be cheaper.
Would this be a way to ease the $ pain a bit (presuming you could sneak a brokerage charge by the bean counters).

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
That might work. You'll still get dinged for the taxes at some point but they would appear on the company account.

Our company has a contract with Purolator and the rates are quite a bit cheaper then Joe Blow's off the street.

ragma

Is the warranty still valid, even though the scanner was purchased in the states.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
I've had Lectron repair scanners under warranty that I've bought from the US.

Unfortunately for the silk print issue, the scanner had to be shipped to the US. I ended up paying brokerage charges for it's return.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mike.
I think we get a pretty good rate this way.
If anyone is in the same situation you can try to sneak one by or just ask the bosses to cover it then pay 'em back.

SCPD

QRT
Mike_Oxlong said:
Sigh, I wish people would get this right. It's so simple.

UPS Worldwide Express includes brokerage charges. These brokerage charges are built into the cost of the shipment and are calculated when shipped.

Taxes and any applicable duty (doesn't seem there's any duty on scanners) are calculated by Customs when the shipment reaches their hands. UPS cannot precalculate these charges and you will be billed by UPS when your scanner arrives for whatever Canada Customs charges them.

Think about it. You're ordering a scanner worth about $700 Canadian and 14% taxes on
is $98. How much did you pay for your shipping? Probably about $50. Do you really think UPS is eating the $98 tax charge??

My 996 arrived with a COD charge for taxes even though it was shipped Worldwide Express. Shipping charges were $50 from ScannerMaster.

If you choose another level of service that doesn't include brokerage charges, be prepared to pay for brokerage, taxes and possibly duty when the friendly man in brown shows up at your door.

Mike,
It's not a matter of me getting it right. I stated my experience. Maybe I should have added a disclaimer but then I didn't realize there were issues.

Again I will state, I only speak from what MY experience has been with many items, not just scanners.
Worldwide Express seems to be the only way I don't end up with the at the door double whammy.
Maybe I've just been lucky. Anyway, this is the only level of service from UPS that I've used that didn't arrive with a COD. The total I stated is what I paid for my item. As with many other things involving UPS, no clear patterns seems to exist.
With standard service I've had brokerage charges with taxes only being charged on the brokerage fees and not the items. This should not be either but it has happened.

I've had similar experiences with FedEx as well I always go express but sometimes end up with a bill in the mail a few weeks later...other times nothing.

When I have an option I'll go Xpresspost all the time. Really can't beat the rates.

Anyhow, even if there is another 80-90 taxes to pay it is STILL less than Durham radio.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Well you can do the math:

$529.95 US for the 996T from ScannerMaster
$50.00 US for UPS Express Shipping (Actually calculated a lot higher then $50 on the UPS website)
$69.59 for exchange (1.12 exchange rate)

Total Price:
$649.00

If you calculate 14% tax, you end up with $740. Pretty close to the $720 you said you paid.

Still a lot cheaper then any Canadian store.

JRichard

US$50.00 for shipping. I tried a few different Postal Codes and the average cost for shipping is ~80.00 and up. Just trying to understand where the numbers are coming from.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Sorry about that. Seems my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

Shipping and handling charges were $86.25US for UPS Expedited.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Yes, unless you find somebody with very old stock.

Even then, Uniden will repair your scanner for free but you'll end up paying some sort of brokerage charge once the scanner is returned.

ragma

I would assume that Scanner Master in the states would have new stock.

mrweather

Mike_Oxlong said:
Even then, Uniden will repair your scanner for free but you'll end up paying some sort of brokerage charge once the scanner is returned.
Really? Even if it's RMA'd? That blows.

Status
Not open for further replies.