Looking To Remote RTLSDR Windows to Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have Android 5.1.1 Lollipop and Windows XP SP3 .net 3.5sp1

I have never done this before.

I want to use android to remotely connect to my RTL-SDR. I want to be able to tune it from the Android. I need at least ability also control gain settings, and change sample rate remotely. At least a spectrum analyzer in it.

I prefer the software be available on Google Play Store for the Android

I know about the Big List of RTL-SDR supported software at RTL-SDR Blog.

Something somewhat like websdr.

I know how to port forward in my gateway. If ports provided please by all means specify TCP or UDP or both with port number. That's a requirement for gateways.

What I have already installed :
HDSDR 2.76
SDR# 1361
SDRuno EXTIO (for operating RTL-SDR with SDRuno. This is not the main program. The main program requires RSP1 or 2)

I appreciate suggestions Thank You.

Last edited:

bharvey2

Have you considered installing something like Teamviewer or other remote control software on your computer and cell phone and control your computer (and RTL SDR software) remotely?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I use Teamviewer and it works great. I am with Optimum and there are like 3 million hot spots so my data plan does not go thru the roof. Can do everything on my Galaxy s6 that I can do in front of my pc..

SCPD

QRT
My answer to both replies are NO. Not what I am asking. Teamviewer on a 5 inch screen just doesn't cut it visually. I want a client for android and a server for windows. That'll work and fit better.

princessthelus

Premium Subscriber
I use my Blackberry with a dongle connected to it. I had to make my own drivers for the RTL-SDR to work but It works great with SDR Touch. I would try that out since you have a pure Android phone all you have to do is download the Google Play store driver and get a OTG adapter. It should work out of the box if you just install the programs. Anyone else running BB10 i can give you advice on porting the Android driver to work with it.

bharvey2

I'm not aware of a remote SDR client that will do what you're looking to do. The only suggestion is a program called SDR Touch. It allows you to plug a dongle into your Android phone or tablet and operate it as you would from a computer. However, you're then carrying around the dongle and antenna.

SCPD

QRT
I'm not aware of a remote SDR client that will do what you're looking to do. The only suggestion is a program called SDR Touch. It allows you to plug a dongle into your Android phone or tablet and operate it as you would from a computer. However, you're then carrying around the dongle and antenna.

IRC Freenode channel ##rtlsdr provided great info now I will extend this info to this thread. I am fully aware of the OTG adaptor method but I don't want to take my dongle out with me and risk damaging or losing it. Another reason is less drain on the LI-PO battery.

All we need to host our rtl-sdr dongle is 2 things

1)rtl_tcp
2)SDR-Touch

Since I am running on Windows XP SP3 I use RELWITHDEB build of rtl_rcp

I open cmd shell to the folder with rtl_tcp.exe in it......

in cmd shell I type in

rtl_tcp -a (host ip address) then press enter. It'll load and wait for a connection. Only 1 allowed.

Looks like: rtl_tcp -a 192.1.168.76

Then download SDR Touch Offline from Google Play Store

After Android installs the apk and saves a shortcut to the home screen I load SDR Touch Offline
(USE WIFI ON DEVICE!!! NOT MOBILE DATA!! Unless you have incredible mobile bandwidth!!!))
In SDR Touch Offline:

On the top is a row of buttons

Slide or drag the buttons to the left to find the button 'Open". Tap it.

Then tap on 'Networked RTL TCP'

Enter host ip address. The machine where rtl_tcp is running. for example "192.1.254.67:1234" then press OK
SDRTouch auto starts the stream on connect to the machine hosting rtl_tcp

Enjoy your rtl-sdr in the garage!!

This works well for close proximity connection using home wifi.

Over mobile broadband internet it's very laggy but it is a start.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.