Looking to upgrade Scanners. Need P25 phase II Grundy County Central Iowa

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0JAK

Thank you in advance for information... I have been away from updating scanners for a WHILE, LOL... With recent changes to ISP and most local departments going to phase II, I'm over due for an upgrade. I am familiar with the GRE scanners from Radio shack ( I know Radio Shack is gone now). GRE is now Whistler scanners?
I prefer portable scanner so I can take with me when I go somewhere if I want, but I could get by with a mobile/base.. I would like scanner to not be overly complicated to program, however I can figure most out.. I assume most are programable by computer. Any way looking for recommendations for scanners that WORK.
Located in Central Iowa, listen to ISP, local fire, Local law, Amateur Radio, etc....
I am sure these scanners will be pricey, unfortunately. What isn't expensive any more!!
Thank you again for your time and information...
Pat
N0JAK

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Looking at the database & focusing on the SARA Network where your county sheriff and fire are, I'm assuming you'll want to monitor the Grundy Center site primarily? Good news is this is one of the single-site locations on the system so I don't anticipate simulcast distortion to be a factor. However if you roam to other areas within coverage of the network that have "simulcast" in the site names, the only portable to consider would be the Uniden SDS100. Otherwise any scanner that covers P25 Phase-II should work for non-simulcast sites, see full list here (scanner support for TDMA)

I would like scanner to not be overly complicated to program, however I can figure most out..
Every P25 Phase-II scanner is going to have a bit of a learning curve to it but there are plenty of resources on the Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums & elsewhere to get you on the right path. Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase & best of 73's

Last edited:

EarlSuitor

Premium Subscriber
I love my SDS 200 & 100, Highly reccomend for digital, especially simulcast. Not the best for analog, but you can easily get an analog cheaply. Ive had a scanner for 50+ years (when they first came out). A good rooftop antenna is reccomended.SDS 200.jpg

N0JAK

I can monitor several counties in my Area. I have a Tower antenna (TV) among others. TV antenna Receives FM roughly 60 mile Radius from my home.. I have my current scanner hooked up to TV antenna works well...
Thank you for the responses..
Pat

N0JAK

Looking at the database & focusing on the SARA Network where your county sheriff and fire are, I'm assuming you'll want to monitor the Grundy Center site primarily? Good news is this is one of the single-site locations on the system so I don't anticipate simulcast distortion to be a factor. However if you roam to other areas within coverage of the network that have "simulcast" in the site names, the only portable to consider would be the Uniden SDS100. Otherwise any scanner that covers P25 Phase-II should work for non-simulcast sites, see full list here (scanner support for TDMA)

Every P25 Phase-II scanner is going to have a bit of a learning curve to it but there are plenty of resources on the Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums & elsewhere to get you on the right path. Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase & best of 73's
Do you think as time moves forward will more agencies become simulcast? How "bad" is the analog on the SDS100?
Thanks

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Do you think as time moves forward will more agencies become simulcast? How "bad" is the analog on the SDS100?
Thanks
Agencies alone don't "become" simulcast per-se. Simulcast refers to transmissions being broadcast at the same time on the same frequencies from more than one tower site in close proximity to one another, hope that makes sense. Can an agency that was once analog migrate to a system with simulcast cells? yes.

As far as analog on the SDS100 goes...it's OK, not the best. The technical reasoning for that is perhaps best described in this post. The clarity on my Icom IC-R20 (not a scanner) when used side by side with my SDS100 using an identical antenna is much better being it's an analog only receiver, haha

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.