• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looks Like Baofeng Finally Did It

Status
Not open for further replies.

icemel

...uh-oh 2W grant, 5W radio?

So it looks like the May/June 5W grant was dismissed and the Sept grant was for 2W only.
Everything I've read indicates high power is 5W.
Anyone actually tested one of these?
Does the sticker inside say 2W or 5W?
I hope they did this right, this time,
Hate for my Xmas gmrs list to get obltr-8ed...again.

KD8DVR

So it looks like the May/June 5W grant was dismissed and the Sept grant was for 2W only.
Everything I've read indicates high power is 5W.
Anyone actually tested one of these?
Does the sticker inside say 2W or 5W?
I hope they did this right, this time,
Hate for my Xmas gmrs list to get obltr-8ed...again.
That's odd. Wonder why that happened. Hope there isn't an issue with harmonics.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

KD8DVR

"general-population/uncontrolled SAR limits":
https://fccid.io/pdf.php?id=3044524

Maybe pressing to my face to a UV-82 every day isn't such a good idea...

Well, the UV82X generates horrendous 70cm harmonics when used on 220 :(

Thanks for the info :)

Anywho.. Evidently, the radio is marketed as a 2 watt radio. Later grants in September approved the radio for 2 watts. The letter listed is essentially superseded by later grants.... in other words, they fixed the error and resubmitted the application and it is all totally legal.

Last edited:

judyfinkle

The pair that I have transmit 5 watts on gmrs channels, and 2 watts on frs channels.
They cannot be programed for any other channels, except for receive.
The gmrs and frs channels are fixed output, but can be programed with pl/dpl.
Audio in and out is excellent. Scan speed is slow, as per usual Bteck, Baofeng style.
For the $40 cyber Monday deal they had, they can't be beat, but they are what they are.....

Delta33

Baofengs are ILLEGAL on Gmrs and Frs for one thing, and the Legal output on Frs is 0.5 watts and Only with a fixed NON removable antenna !

icemel

...but legal at 5W?

Thanks guys,

So "all totally legal" at 2W, which I'm fearing this radio is not limited to. :(

Judy is that 5W a measurement or a setting?

I guess the FRS interstitials are lowered to 2W, to keep ERP below 5 with higher gain antennas?

Dang I missed that deal...but so far that looks like a good thing.

judyfinkle

Power

That is a measured output of 5 watts (4.9) but it is able to be lowered to low power of 2 watts (1.8) on the gmrs channels, but cannot be raised on frs freqs.

I should have mentioned in my other post, that the power could be reduced on GMRS freqs.

Last edited:

KD8DVR

That is a measured output of 5 watts (4.9) but it is able to be lowered to low power of 2 watts (1.8) on the gmrs channels, but cannot be raised on frs freqs.

I should have mentioned in my other post, that the power could be reduced on GMRS freqs.
But the fact it can transmit more than 2 watts at ALL, means they are violating their grant.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

icemel

No Reply for Btech

Well sadly I think the search for the perfect (and legal!) GMRS HT continues. I emailed the company asking about the 2W/5W discrepancy and got no reply. :(

Guess its old Kenwoods and Ritrons for me.
..."fool me twice"...

Rred

Many low-priced companies hold their costs down by ignoring pesky questions from the rubes. (Nothing personal.) But the FCC might shed some light on what that radio might be:
https://www.fcc.gov/general/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs
"Radios marketed as "FRS/GMRS" or "dual-service radios" are available from many manufacturers and many retail or discount stores. The manual that comes with the radio, or the label placed on it by the manufacturer, should indicate the service the radio is certified for. If you cannot determine what service the radio may be used in, contact the manufacturer. If you operate a radio under the GMRS rules, you must have a GMRS license. GMRS radios generally transmit at higher power levels (1 to 5 watts is typical) than FRS radios and may have detachable antennas.

If you operate a radio that has been approved for both FRS and GMRS, and if you limit your operations to the FRS channels with a maximum power of ½ watt effective radiated power and an integral antenna, you are not required to have a license. (Note that some dual-service radios transmit with higher power on FRS channels 1 through 7; these radios can be used without a license only on FRS channels 8 through 14.)"

So depending on how it is labeled and sold...and of course we all know how carefully the labeling and promotions are made into Ynglitch for the US market...Maybe that's just a legal GMRS radio, requiring a GMRS license, and the 2W power on shared FRS channels is legal that way?

Maybe if you emailed them in Mandarin.(G)

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
This Baofeng radio is unable to transmit on the shared FRS channels. Only the GMRS frequencies. The company clearly states this in the manual and also advises a GMRS license is required. It is a great radio for the price. Sorry to disappoint all the radio cops around here.

Delta33

ALSO,

The Junk Baofeng radios are ONLY LEGAL on ham and Part 90 frequencies. Gmrs frequencies require Part 95 certification, therefore Not legal to use on China crap like Baofengs !!

icemel

Trying not to be a rube

Rred,
Btech is an American company with great English manuals and normally very responsive to email. And I'm hoping it is a legal Part 95 radio, but it looks like it is legal for only 2 watts TX on all the GMRS channels not just the FRS shared, and it appears the radio is advertised to do 5W...and does it.

bearcat012,
It is no doubt a great radio. I've bought 3 UV- 82s and love them. The question is, is it a legal radio? Cause if not, a UV-82 is half the price and more radio.

KD8DVR

This Baofeng radio is unable to transmit on the shared FRS channels. Only the GMRS frequencies. The company clearly states this in the manual and also advises a GMRS license is required. It is a great radio for the price. Sorry to disappoint all the radio cops around here.
Any responsible licensee will be very aware of rules and equipment certifications, and follow them to the letter. I don't doubt the radio is legal, as long as they comply with the specifications of their Grant. All the information is public record for anyone to read. (Which I recommend you do) It isn't nice to shoot the messenger.

I've done business with BTECH and will continue to do so. They give great service.

It's sad to see folks doing the RIGHT thing, being attacked as "Radio cops". Even the RR mods engage in the unethical practice of permitting discussion of illegal behavior and punish those who stress legal operation. I'm certain this comment will be removed, so enjoy it and gnash your teeth while you can. Regardless, I'll leave this thread alone now. I prefer a calmer thread.

icemel

Legal like a TR 505?

woah...looks like I've waded into some history. If you get bounced KDRDVD I'll look you up. Thanks for the encouragement. I wasn't sure if I was being called a radio cop or there was some FCC guys lurking here being referenced. I'm just someone who thought this was a near perfect gmrs ht and was on the verge of recommending it to local ecomm group. Its one thing to risk a fine or license loss yourself, another to recommend something illegal. So I'm turning over every rock.

Is there possibility that as long as they ship programmed to 2 watts, even though you can program 5 W it's on the operator to worry about their exposure limits, and perfectly legal? (conflicting reports as to whether these come with all channels on 2w or not)

Was on the B.A.R.N. FB forum and that seems to be a theory floating around; I guess the TERA TR-505 does this; it's grant is 1-2 W and the radio does 4-5, and its been around for a year or more.

Its weird in the 5W grant part of the dismissal seems to suggest GMRS is license by rule, and therefore the general public must be protected. But GMRS is not.

toastycookies

Is there possibility that as long as they ship programmed to 2 watts, even though you can program 5 W it's on the operator to worry about their exposure limits, and perfectly legal? (conflicting reports as to whether these come with all channels on 2w or not)

sounds like a Canada thing to me. Trying to expand their market semi-legally. It is BaoFengTech / AnyToneTech, one of their largest USA exclusive distributors. Would make sense to me they would go after the Canadian GMRS market at the same time as back home here in the US if they're going to spend all the time and effort to get it type accepted here...

(Canada GMRS limited to 2watts same frequencies minus the repeaters)

KD8DVR

woah...looks like I've waded into some history. If you get bounced KDRDVD I'll look you up. Thanks for the encouragement. I wasn't sure if I was being called a radio cop or there was some FCC guys lurking here being referenced. I'm just someone who thought this was a near perfect gmrs ht and was on the verge of recommending it to local ecomm group. Its one thing to risk a fine or license loss yourself, another to recommend something illegal. So I'm turning over every rock.

Was on the B.A.R.N. FB forum and that seems to be a theory floating around; I guess the TERA TR-505 does this; it's grant is 1-2 W and the radio does 4-5, and its been around for a year or more.

Its weird in the 5W grant part of the dismissal seems to suggest GMRS is license by rule, and therefore the general public must be protected. But GMRS is not.
Buy the radio and use it. That FCC ID is there. Thank you for your kind words

Status
Not open for further replies.