• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Looks Like Baofeng Finally Did It

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper1833

Every now and then, I like to scroll through radio listings on the FCC, see if any new GMRS type 95a certified equipment gets approval. That way I can see if there is something in the future if I might by it. Looks like Baofeng finally created a type 95a certified GMRS Transceiver. This should make alot of Licensed GMRS users happy. Not sure when this will be put into production, I might buy one if the price is good. From the looks of it the final action date for approval was last month. Thoughts?

https://fccid.io/2AGND-GMRS-V1

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
The VHF is only part 15B, which means it's probably just for the scanning receiver.
It does NOT list Part 95 VHF (e.g. MURS) or Part 90 VHF (e.g. public safety).

viper1833

The VHF is only part 15B, which means it's probably just for the scanning receiver.
It does NOT list Part 95 VHF (e.g. MURS) or Part 90 VHF (e.g. public safety).

Thats what i was thinking on the 15b, If I recall correctly the FCC, said they would not type certify anything 95a if it could transmit out of band. So yeah im thinking scan on both UHF, and VHF, and Transmit on the GMRS freq's. Would be nice if thats the case, GMRS, plus analog dual band scanning. Looks like it includes repeater functionality as well.

richardbritt

Database Admin
Baufeng

Have you looked at their model UV82? Its type accepted and works on wide and narrow band on VHF Hi and UHF. I only use it on the ham bands but its type 95a type accepted. They are available on the internet for around 50 dollars.

Richard W4MCD

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
The Baofeng radios and other Chinese crap are all over GMRS already, just like on the Ham bands. Nothing will change on GMRS with this new radio.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Carefully reading the actual Grants, it is quite clear that only GMRS frequencies are authorized/enabled for transmitting. Everything else is "scan only."

viper1833

Yes But

The Baofeng radios and other Chinese crap are all over GMRS already, just like on the Ham bands. Nothing will change on GMRS with this new radio.

Yes there are those that use non type accepted equipment on GMRS. That being said I don't, as I don't want to risk my license. However the point of this thread is that this will be there first legal 95a transceiver. If the price is right I will buy it, with that not all people can afford to buy equipment that costs $200 or more, yeah there is used equipment out there, but not everyone wants used equipment either. They want new at and affordable price. No disrespect intended, this is ment to be a friendly discussion thread, but its comments like these that steer people from Licensed radio such as GMRS, or Ham.

Rred

"Baofeng finally created a type 95a certified GMRS Transceiver. "
Not quite. "BaoFeng Tech" is the grantee, aka "Miklor", the same folks who are the sole source and FCC grantee for the UV-82C.

They've taken a standard UV-82, changed the firmware to hard-code the GMRS channels apparently, and left the rest of the radio the same. Meaning, what they really did was resubmit a UV-82 for Part95A service.

Which seems very odd, since the same radio has been Part90 approved, and there are a number of radios out there which carry dual Part90/95 approvals. Why not just sell one radio, with both FCC approvals on it? Am I missing something, or is this just another exclusive marketing issue?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
"Baofeng finally created a type 95a certified GMRS Transceiver. "
Not quite. "BaoFeng Tech" is the grantee, aka "Miklor", the same folks who are the sole source and FCC grantee for the UV-82C.

They've taken a standard UV-82, changed the firmware to hard-code the GMRS channels apparently, and left the rest of the radio the same. Meaning, what they really did was resubmit a UV-82 for Part95A service.
Not really! Not only are the GMRS frequencies "locked" so they cannot be reprogrammed, the rest of the memory slots are "receive only" meaning that no out of GMRS band frequencies may be used. This is what is truly required for 95A certification.

Miklor by the way is nothing much more than a review site, although they do act as a repository for firmware updates and helpful information as well.

Who is Miklor
The Miklor website was created to assist and share information with the Amateur Radio and GMRS community.

The Miklor website started in 2012 when I purchased my first UV5R. It was a two page FAQ to assist with programming, drivers, software, and general operation.

Last edited:

Rred

Thank you, I missed that!

I guess the question then is whether the receive only slots really are locked, or can be unlocked with a typical magic trick.

And then, how the radios which are dual certified, set around that and still can be dual certified? Or are there only older grandfathered radios that have the dual certification?

(Wasn't it Kirk who said to Spock, if you want logic, you're on the wrong planet?)

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
BaoFeng has run into problems with the FCC over their earlier "certification" applications. That is why they are releasing this particular radio. Unfortunately, the FCC was too late taking action.

Can you picture the millions of improperly certified radios are already here in the U.S. being abused on illegal frequencies? Many of those who purchased the UV-5 and all the variations don't even bother to change the "default" programming so God only knows what havoc they are wreaking on illegal "default" frequencies!

ChitheadDeSo

Is there still more that needs to be done for this radio to be completely certified? I went look through some of the stuff on the site listed and also looked for the radio online to see if it was for sale yet kind of thing. Based on what I saw it was ready to go, is that true or is there something else?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Can you picture the millions of improperly certified radios are already here in the U.S. being abused on illegal frequencies? Many of those who purchased the UV-5 and all the variations don't even bother to change the "default" programming so God only knows what havoc they are wreaking on illegal "default" frequencies!

[sarcasm]
Given the dozens of news stories every day about people dying because people were transmitting on "default" frequencies with CCRs and interfering with police, fire, and ambulance service, everyone who purchased a CCR should be rounded up and sent to radio re-education camps, and anyone affiliated with selling or manufacturing CCRs should be summarily executed.
[/sarcasm]

While there have been incidents where people have done stupid stuff with radios (cheap Chinese and otherwise), the sky is definitely not falling.

blastco2

[sarcasm]
Given the dozens of news stories every day about people dying because people were transmitting on "default" frequencies with CCRs and interfering with police, fire, and ambulance service, everyone who purchased a CCR should be rounded up and sent to radio re-education camps, and anyone affiliated with selling or manufacturing CCRs should be summarily executed.
[/sarcasm]

While there have been incidents where people have done stupid stuff with radios (cheap Chinese and otherwise), the sky is definitely not falling.
Well said! Thank you...

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

KD8DVR

So a transceiver that can utilize vhf, UHF, including gmrs? That's great! All in one unit!
No. The radio is only designed to transmit on the hard coded GMRS frequencies. All other frequencies are firmware locked for receive only. See Milklor review if you don't believe me. They got this one right. It looks to be 100% FCC compliant. Just hope they don't suffer the typical baofeng spectral impurity issues.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments are personal opinion only and may not indicate a claim of actual fact.

Rred

Since the "new" radio appears to be a UV-82 series with custom firmware, how has the 82-series fared with the spectral purity and other technical issues?

ArtU

Status
Not open for further replies.