Looks like we'll need to be more creative with using radio gear in our vehicles!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Looks like we'll need to be more creative with using radio gear in our vehicles! Numerous counties, cities and townships have been cracking down more and on distracted drivers in the last several years! Now the entire state is making the use of radio gear more difficult than ever before!

Michigan's new distracted driving law starts Friday; Here's what you can & can't do

"Basically, with a few exceptions, the Michigan law makes all mobile device usage illegal while you’re operating a vehicle."

Trainguy1997

Looks like we'll need to be more creative with using radio gear in our vehicles! Numerous counties, cities and townships have been cracking down more and on distracted drivers in the last several years! Now the entire state is making the use of radio gear more difficult than ever before!

Michigan's new distracted driving law starts Friday; Here's what you can & can't do
"Basically, with a few exceptions, the Michigan law makes all mobile device usage illegal while you’re operating a vehicle."
Do what I did and read, CB and Amateur are exempt...

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
"(10) This section does not apply to any of the following

( i ) A radio designed for the Citizens Band Service or the Amateur Radio Service of the Federal Communications Commission or a commercial 2-way radio communications device or equipment permanently installed in a motor vehicle"

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
If I am not mistaken, changing a radio station, inserting a CD (if you have a player), or adjusting the air-conditioner could be construed as distractions. What a load of ****e.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy

( i ) A radio designed for the Citizens Band Service or the Amateur Radio Service of the Federal Communications Commission or a commercial 2-way radio communications device or equipment permanently installed in a motor vehicle"
(3) (d) (ii) Using a mobile electronic device that is integrated into a motor vehicle and utilizes the user interfaces that are permanently installed into the motor vehicle.

Proper mobile radio install should be exempted under that statement alone but it's reinforced in (12) (i) which is quoted above.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber

People should note that the driver using an amateur radio HT in their hand is illegal by the wording of the law but a properly installed mobile rig is not.

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
I'm not seeing that in Michigan's new law. Please show me where you read that.
If I'm reading it right (emphasis mine)...

12) As used in this section:
(b)“Mobile electronic device” means an electronic device that is not permanently installed in a motor vehicle, including, but not limited to, a device capable of text messaging, voice communication, entertainment, navigation, accessing the internet, or producing email. Mobile electronic device does not include either of the following:
(i) A radio designed for the Citizens Band Service or the Amateur Radio Service of the Federal Communications Commission or a commercial 2-way radio communications device or equipment permanently installed in a motor vehicle.

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber

Subsection i actually falls under paragraph 12.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The biggest cause of distracted driving are the motor vehicle manufacturers themselves. They try to outdo each other with the amount of electronics installed in vehicles. How do you use a touch screen without being distracted? You must take your eyes off of the road to use it! I have always preferred discrete knobs and buttons. I know where the controls are in my vehicle and can make changes by feel without taking my eyes off of the road. I spent my career working with electronics. There is a place for technology. Electronics which require human interface in motor vehicles is not that place. I love my backup camera. It is a great safety feature. Emergency stopping is another great option. I am not biased against technology, just the technology that interferes with safe driving. Incidentally, I found that using a handheld cellphone while driving blocked my vision and decided myself that I would not use it before any laws were enacted.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The biggest cause of distracted driving are the motor vehicle manufacturers themselves. They try to outdo each other with the amount of electronics installed in vehicles. How do you use a touch screen without being distracted? You must take your eyes off of the road to use it! I have always preferred discrete knobs and buttons. I know where the controls are in my vehicle and can make changes by feel without taking my eyes off of the road. I spent my career working with electronics. There is a place for technology. Electronics which require human interface in motor vehicles is not that place. I love my backup camera. It is a great safety feature. Emergency stopping is another great option. I am not biased against technology, just the technology that interferes with safe driving. Incidentally, I found that using a handheld cellphone while driving blocked my vision and decided myself that I would not use it before any laws were enacted.
I couldn't agree more! I've always been into new gadgets, technology, ETC, but as I age (73) some things are getting a little more difficult and distracting. I had a 2010 Ford Edge low end model with just the normal features. I replaced it with a 2019 Ford Edge when they first came out. The wife and talked and said this might be our last new vehicle so lets make it a nice one. We bought the high-end model with all the toys. It has seven computers! It has so much going on, so many features, buttons, knobs, computer screen, endless multiple screens like you wouldn't believe. It took me a couple weeks go be able to relax while driving and really get acquainted with it. It automatically updates it's own firmware and the other morning I started it and all kinds of displays and settings I had appeared to be totally reset to the factory default! It's nuts! I gave the 2010 to my stepson and was almost ready to trade him the new one for the old one! :LOL:

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
I agree, my new 150 Lariat has buttons and stuff that I have no clue what they do. I can work the radio and climate control.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I couldn't agree more!
I agree, my new 150 Lariat has buttons and stuff that I have no clue what they do. I can work the radio and climate control.
I would like to see a study done to compare the number of accidents before and after the advent of all of the electronics requiring human interface in vehicles. I don't recall the term "Distracted Driving" being used prior to the installation of the technology. Drivers have been using 2-way radios and scanners a long time before that term came into existence. I believe that the origin of the term "Distracted Driving" coincides with the beginning of all of the electronics.

w2xq

Mentor
Bluetooth control of the phone to make and receive calls, voice commands to control the vehicle radio/audio system and HVAC, and automatic headlight and wipers on.

As to mounting the cellphone, I like my 12" holder with a suction-cup that allows me to mount it at the lower left corner of the windshield and position the phone at the front of the dash just above an ac vent. The only thing the phone blocks is my view of the inspection sticker. It is a 15-year old variation of this (and similar flex arm units) from Amazon.

HTH.