BCD396T/BC996T: Loose Knob

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD5BIQ

I recently inherited a BCD396T that was well loved. It works great, but the control knob on top is "loose", and I may use that term incorrectly. It still clicks in place, but the radio will randomly either not acknowledge the input from the knob, or it will skip 3 or 4 menu settings at once. Is there anything I can do to "tighten" things up abit?

Thanks in advance!

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Had the same problem a couple years ago on same 396T, for others this is the same setup on a 396XT. Opened it up and unless you can find someone that can do soldering on small circuits with a fine tip soldering and a microscope, forget trying to resolder. Way too small of an area.

I found if I pushed the knob to one side it would work a bit, most times it would go opposite direction I wanted.
Sent it to uniden and had it back in 3 weeks, but what they replaced was a lot.
Everything seen on the outside replaced, case, keypad,glass, antenna connector, rubber along the bottom, new knob. Essentially a new radio short of the circuit board. I only mentioned the knob problem to them, the keypad center was a little worn and the rubber was worn, other than that all was good.

Charge was 59.50 + 10 to send it in. http://www.uniden.com/page/productrepair

Last edited:

wtp

after dropping my 396t

it worked the same way that you are describing, one click got me two places.
the knob was tilted to the antenna
then the second drop seemed to center it back a bit.
it only once and a while does the two for one thing and even in the wrong direction and even when sitting alone will change scan direction all by itself.
when i think i can part with it i will send it in to be fixed the right way, by then.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I had the same problem on my BCD396T along with a few others, after using it daily for 6 years.

I sent it to Uniden and for $50 they repaired the problems, along with a couple I wasn't aware of, including a new keypad, tested and tuned up.

Basically for one low price it was factory refurbished. I highly recommend this to those who receive well used scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.