Loose (Open) Squelch Improves LSM (Simulcast) Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

seth21w

0 squelch is not going to be good at all for lsm I find the default 2 squelch and manual 8 good and if your picking up more than one site the best way to attenuate the multi site distortion is to buy a shorter antenna than stock. Oh and the earlier firmware 1.02.03 is the best for lsm

RFI-EMI-GUY

I am confused as to why the noise squelch should have any effect on the digital demodulation. This sounds like a firmware issue. The digital demodulator should be looking at the discriminator 100% of the time and the noise squelch only be controlling analog signals. A fixed BER threshold should control the digital squelch. Am I missing something?

RFI-EMI-GUY

The whole "loose squelch helps multipath distortion" argument is total BS. It doesn't help that out any more than it helps out any other weak signal detection. I am really surprised that Paul, of all people, would post such nonsense.

productionguy85 is right when he says it does more harm than good. Leaving the squelch open causes difficulties with the system not reverting back to the control channel after a voice call is finished.

I should have posted as soon as this thread was started, but I waited a long time because I'm lazy. Loosening up the squelch isn't a solution or a fix for anything really, except for weak signal decode. And in the case of weak signal decoding of digital signals, if it's so weak that the squelch must be kept loose or open, then it's more than likely going to be too weak to decode anyway.

There is only one true way to combat the multipath distortion issue when it comes to scanners, and KA1RBI has already documented it well. Scanner manufacturers simply need to get on board.

Mike

The receiver should see an end of message (EOM) when the voice channel repeater dekeys. With that EOM, the receiver should know that it needs to check the CC again. If scanning, an adjustable scan delay should keep the receiver from hunting other system CC's.

But then I may be totally wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.