Loose screw inside the GRE-COM PSR-500 Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbro298

Losse screw

I have 2 500's and i just checked the screw issue in the oldest one 2770.When i tried to turn the screw the top of the screw chipped off,the part with the slots.I put it back together and turned it on and i had no volume.I put it on the WX freq and the sound is very low.Have had it on for about 30 minutes and it is not picking up anything at all.I mean not even stopping on the freq.Any suggestions.BTW i cannot turn the screw at all,no slots to turn

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Not good my friend. If the radio is still in warranty you may want to send it in for repair. The screw is making a solid metallic connection to complete the circuit and put pressure on the mechanical connection. It sounds like the screw was over-torqued and sheared the head off the screw. You would need a small drill bit and possibly an easy-out to remove it, unless part of the screw stub is available to get a hold of for removal.

stlouisx50

I have 2 500's and i just checked the screw issue in the oldest one 2770.When i tried to turn the screw the top of the screw chipped off,the part with the slots.I put it back together and turned it on and i had no volume.I put it on the WX freq and the sound is very low.Have had it on for about 30 minutes and it is not picking up anything at all.I mean not even stopping on the freq.Any suggestions.BTW i cannot turn the screw at all,no slots to turn

I think the screws are cheap. I tried to torque mine and ended up stripping the screw. You dont even have to turn it hard for it to strip.

cbro298

Loose screw

That is to the tea what happened to me.Didn't hardly turn at all and it just flaked off.Is there anything i can do besides sending off to GRE?

cbro298

Losse screw

I have 2 106s and one of them i bought cheap off ebay (250.00) and it works fine except the volume knob is real tight as if something was spilled onto it.It seems that you have to turn it up more to hear the volume compared to my 2 PSR-500s.My 500s knob it easier to turn to the correct volume level.I thought about taking the back off and checking the screw but decided to live with thinking back to my last experience.The guts of the 106-500 are the same and both could have the same screw issues

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
The screw I posted about (2 1/2 years ago!) has nothing to do with the volume knob. I wouldn't be surprised if something was splilled into it, or maybe even dropped. Have you tried spraying tuner cleaner into the knob? The cleaner will also lubricate it, making it easier to turn. Let us know how you do!

Ensnared

I have a question. I unknowingly purchased a Canadian model PSR 500. After purchasing and using this antenna: 800 MHz 2.5db Gain Antenex Professional Portable Antenna, the BNC loosened. I don't know if this was unique to the antenna or that screw. I don't have the serial number of the previous unit. My serial number of this model is 005580. Does this screw issue affect this model? Also, do you think this snug-fitting antenna resulted in increased torque to twist it on thereby causing the loosening?

Ensnared

Update on my 8/23/2010 posting: Poor reception noted on GRE PSR 500. This occurred after I started using the 800 MHz 2.5db Gain Antenex Professional Portable Antenna instead of the RS 800 mhz rubber antenna. I opened the back of the unit and tightened the screw in question (slightly loose), but I am still experiencing reception problems. I am still unable to hear the National Weather Service here in the house with the RS 800 mhz antenna. Any suggestions?

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber
Update on my 8/23/2010 posting: Poor reception noted on GRE PSR 500. This occurred after I started using the 800 MHz 2.5db Gain Antenex Professional Portable Antenna instead of the RS 800 mhz rubber antenna. I opened the back of the unit and tightened the screw in question (slightly loose), but I am still experiencing reception problems. I am still unable to hear the National Weather Service here in the house with the RS 800 mhz antenna. Any suggestions?

Have you tried attenuating the channels(s) in question to determine if the problem is signal overload???

B.K.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
On earlier models of RS scanners, the wire going from the center post of the BNC connector to the circuit board would break causing very poor reception. This usually required resoldering or replacing the short bare wire. I've done this on several RS radios. The GRE's now appear to built better but this still could be a problem. Also, in the newer GRE's this wire is UNDER the top circuit board where it used to be on top, so it may be a bit harder to get to.

NOTE: I have not experienced this on the PSR500, but it sure 'sounds' a lot like what used to happen.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Thanks. When I went to NOAA, it was pitiful reception. On VHF, I am used to hearing Marlin, Texas which is some distance away from Waco (with RS 800 mhz antenna). I tried tightening the screw in question, but no discernible difference was noticed. Typically, most VHF gets 5 bars on signal strength. When I saw one bar for close agencies, I gave it up. Now, the scanner withdrawal symptoms will begin. Thanks for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.