• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Loose USB DIY repair

bucket772

Feed Provider
I hang my G4 on the visor of my car with a USB run up to it. Apparently the weight and excessive bouncing worked the crappy micro-USB loose. I'm not a radio repair guy by an stretch but decided to take a stab at it. The USB plug would just fall out so I figured the jack on the board was broke. Well, it wasn't, the plug just pushed its way out of the plastic holder. Pushed it back in and all is well.

Tools needed:
J0 screwdriver bit (although a Phillips will work, just be careful
H1.5 Allen bit.
Small, non marring pry tool
And, if your eyes are bad, a head mounted magnifying visor or jewelers loupe.

Tutorial to follow.....

1) Remove belt clip and the two J0 screws at the bottom. A Phillips bit will work, just use caution not to round the screw head out.

1 battery screws.jpg

2) remove the three plugs exposing the 3 H1.5 screws

2 plugs.jpg

3) There are two more screws under the battery door gasket.
The left side screw is smaller then all the others.

3 gasket.jpg

4) Gently pry the covers apart. Note the vibration motor in the cover.
It might be a little hard to get apart. I used a small, non marring pry tool
to slowly work my way around the edges.

4 cover off.jpg

5) There are three ribbon cables that will have to get unplugged. Gently lift the beige locks
on the opposite side of the ribbon UP. They hinge towards the cable

5 ribbon clips.jpg

6) The left cable is glued to the case. I found its easier to lift the lock and just remove
the top board. The cable will slide out.

6 glued ribbon.jpg

7) Although possible, I recommend that the antenna get disconnected.
It just presses onto the board, and is held in place by a couple of clips. The wire will pop right out

Then just pry the top board off, starting at the knob and antenna end. There are no screws holding
the board on.
7 antenna.jpg

8) Now you have access to the loose USB plug. You can see how it is pushed back.
The brown part of the cable should be fully covering the black clip that holds the cable in.

8 loose USB.jpg

9) Using the same J0 bit, I removed the clip. Old eyes and sausage fingers, made doing this
part easier.

9 plug holder.jpg

10) Here is the plug and clip removed from the radio.

11 plug and holder.jpg

11) It looks like maybe the glue failed or again, the vibration. Anyway, I just reinserted and made use it was firmly pressed in.

There is a gasket that comes off with the clip. Make sure that it is fully seated during reassembly. Assembly is the exact reverse.

Remember, there is one smaller screw. Insert all screws and tighten in a x-pattern gently to ensure the gasket is seated properly.

Hope this helps.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Nice write up, and if you move the pager in/out of the vehicle often, you might want to look into the magnetic adapters that are around. It may offer a little strain relief as well. I have a desk charger, so don't need it for the G5, but they are handy for other electronics with suspicious USB connectors. Tons with multiple connectors over on the usual places (Amazon, eBay).

bucket772

Feed Provider
Nice write up, and if you move the pager in/out of the vehicle often, you might want to look into the magnetic adapters that are around. It may offer a little strain relief as well. I have a desk charger, so don't need it for the G5, but they are handy for other electronics with suspicious USB connectors. Tons with multiple connectors over on the usual places (Amazon, eBay).
I have already purchased a magnetic USB charger. Works like a charm. And thanks

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
And best of all, It will save you $100 + dollar repair from unication...

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Had they used a usb jack that had the tabs on the most outward part, you most likely would not have had the problem.

1658497474387.png

jabbeaux

This makes me wonder if the micro could be replaced with a C....
100% possible, if you could get the pinout. The next step is finding this micro-USB replacement piece on Alibaba, Aliexpress, Taobao, etc. That alone would be a life saver for (truly) broken USB port issues. The sellers of micro-USB parts on Taobao usually have a catalog of 200+ variations on size, shape, right angle, etc for each USB part...highly likely they'll have a USB-C version.

I have often wondered why Uni did not use a sealed port, like seen on Garmins products (example) for years and other wearables (Apple Watch, Mio Link, etc)

fire1429

Any where we can get a replacement usb connection.

Attachments

• D1881D34-4A4F-450D-A902-30B6A1FB85A6.jpeg
    D1881D34-4A4F-450D-A902-30B6A1FB85A6.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 41

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
Is the flex soldered to the pins on the USB port or is it connectorized?