BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Loose USB port

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Just noticed it today, but apparently the USB port appears to be bent on the right side and now my USB cable is loose in the scanner while it's plugged it and moves up and down in the port. Any way to fix it, or is this something Uniden can fix? Only less than 3 months old.

67a5691b50d92c106e026fb981692ee1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Will Uniden fix it? Also, i live in Fort Worth and their HQ is in Irving, any clue if they have a service center there I can walk in and have them look at it?

The repair facility is in Roanoke, but I'm not sure you can drop off there.

newcoyote

Premium Subscriber
You're not alone. This is something Uniden needs to improve. The same thing has happened to more than one of my Uniden products. My BCD436HP port was also loose and not making proper contact very early. I don't have that problem with the five thousand other device USB ports I use daily.

mancow

Database Admin
I would get a small precision screw driver and bend that metal back in shape. It will probably be fine after that.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
You're not alone. This is something Uniden needs to improve. The same thing has happened to more than one of my Uniden products. My BCD436HP port was also loose and not making proper contact very early. I don't have that problem with the five thousand other device USB ports I use daily.

I'm hoping it's something that they can quickly easily repair if I can take it directly to their repair center in Roanoke, but I was looking online and saw that their estimated turn around time is 14-20 days when it is sent in…which for me is not a good time frame since I'm a fireground photographer and freelance photographer and it's getting to the time of year where things start picking up with cooler temps, weather holidays etc.

I feel like this is really an issue of cutting costs where they should not be, especially when I am paying hundreds of dollars for your product. But that's just my opinion.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I would get a small precision screw driver and bend that metal back in shape. It will probably be fine after that.

That's actually he first thing I did, but didn't look like anything was jammed that I could see. I would try to repair myself, but I can't risk breaking something more than it is already and having my scanner not work at all and I don't want to try to repair myself and void something if Uniden or an authorized repair shop can service it.

mancow

Database Admin
That's actually he first thing I did, but didn't look like anything was jammed that I could see. I would try to repair myself, but I can't risk breaking something more than it is already and having my scanner not work at all and I don't want to try to repair myself and void something if Uniden or an authorized repair shop can service it.

The photo made it look like there was a piece of plastic left in there but I edited my post after realizing it was just the reflection from the bottom of the port.

Is the entire metal portion loose and moving or the entire thing or what? You might get lucky and only have to solder the metal portion provided it isn't a surface mount type that has torn the solder traces loose. They are often through hole type for stability so you might be able to reflow it. The actual pins for the usb data and power are usually surface mount and are harder to work with. Good thing is that portion often remains in tact and its just the housing that comes loose.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
The center isn't lose on it and and connector on the inside or outside isn't loose either. I'll see if i can post a better picture and a video to demonstrate what it's doing after I get off of work tiday

mancow

Database Admin
I see. I guess the thing is just bent out of shape. Maybe you can take it apart and sort of squeez it all back in shape with some needle nose.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The Ronoake facility does not have walk-in service. The unit can be repaired, but will have to wait in line. Typical turnaround is much less than 14-20 days (2-4 days is more typical), but this can be affected by seasonality and parts availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.