Loosely radio-related: Project Loon Balloon heading towards GTHA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATCTech

Tuesday July 14 9:00AM : A Project Loon high-altitude internet-providing balloon that's been lurking in very calm upper winds over north central Ontario for a week or so now is heading towards the GTHA this morning. I saw one of these pass over the area last summer and they are visible to the naked eye. You can track it's motion on the various ADS-B tracking sites like FlightRadar24, FlightAware etc.. Good luck!

Attachments

IndyScan

Always Connected...
Premium Subscriber
Nice to see these in North America again. I was tracking a few in Southern Indiana about a year ago then they seemed to all go to the Southern Hemisphere. Neat project!

ATCTech

There were a "gaggle" of 6 of them that drifted down from northwestern Ontario to just west of Detroit about 10 days ago. They stayed in a pretty tight cluster and would have been a spectacular sight to witness like that.

FoeHammer

Hmm... I saw something here in Windsor. I wasn't sure what it was. It looked a lot like what this guy got on his phone. I wonder if that is what it was?

ATCTech

That video is what the Loon balloons look like. I don't see any Loon balloons on FR24 playback at 0100Z on the 4th, but the group I mentioned earlier are shown in the attachment on the 5th at 2000Z. (4PM). They were still well northwest of here on the 4th.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.