Lorain Co - SE Fire Dispatch changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
We received a submission today and I'd like to get those who listen to Lorain Co to verify since the submitter was new / unknown to RR.

Here is what was submitted:

Code:
Lorain county ohio fire depts new frequency line up

154.92 / 158.79  FB2   PL 141.3  narrowbanded

LAGRANGE FIRE DISP
GRAFTON FIRE DISP
EATON FIRE DISP
SE. FIRE DISP

In the RR DB, 154.92 is listed as Columbia Twp Fire Dispatch

For those who are familiar with fire operations in Lorain Co, can you confirm any of the changes / additions listed above? And if that information is correct, would Columbia Twp also be considered part of SouthEast Fire Dispatch?

Mike

OHIOSCAN

New LorCo SE Rptr

Yes the new LC911 SE Fire rptr is up.

154.9200 Rptr PL-141.3 Columbia Stn, Eaton Twp, Grafton, Grafton Twp, LaGrange
158.7900 input

453.9375 All I hear on this is a data blast now and then.

Ohioscan

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
During a mutual aid call last night they told everyone to use the Lorain County 911 NW frequency for communications. Later it was refered to as the avon main frequency? I am guessing 154.400

Last edited:

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
I heard the same thing from a North Ridgeville unit talking to WestComm. They made reference to operating at the incident on Lorain County NW, further clarified as UHF ch# 4. WestComm acknowleged calling it Avon Main Band.

I listened to 154.400 and didn't hear much, certainly not an incident. ...and that is VHF.

Later, the N.Ridgeville unit wanted to get a message to the Elyria unit on the same scene (but apparently not on the same operating frequency) so he switched back to their main UHF channel and had WestComm relay through Lorain Co 911. They in turn communicated to the Elyria unit on Elyria's main. During the conversation, the WestComm dispatch indicated he was receiving on that "unknown" channel they were operating on. ...so it exists but not in my scanner. -lol

Anybody have any insight what the UHF channel actually was that they were operating on?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
There are quite a few UHF frequencies listed in FCC records in Lorain Co which aren't listed in the RR DB.

A few of the ones that may be relevant are:

Code:
423.100  - WPWB802 - LORAIN, COUNTY OF (emergency dispatch)
423.225  - WPWB802 - LORAIN, COUNTY OF (emergency dispatch)
423.75   - WPMB574 - LORAIN, COUNTY OF (maintenance)
423.9375 - WQKU222 - LORAIN, COUNTY OF (dispatch first responders)
453.725  - KNIL632 - OBERLIN, CITY OF (dispatch city employees)
453.7375 - WNVL872 - NORTH CENTRAL EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICE

- each of those is a supposed repeater
- I didn't see any of these listed in the RRDB
- the information you see in ( ) is my translation of the description on the FCC license

Perhaps one or more of those frequencies above is in use for public safety. Check em out.

If somebody does happen to program them in and scan them, if you identify the agency and can get PL/DPL information, please do submit it to the RR Database so that others can benefit from that new knowledge.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited:

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
423.2250 (179.9) just heard the following

Lorain county 911 ... elyria first responders ...... KEL346 out

Also as listed in the RR database 423.7500 (110.9) is Northfield Center FD have not heard anything else.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
423.2250 (179.9) just heard the following

Lorain county 911 ... elyria first responders ...... KEL346 out

Good catch. Please sit on that and try to pin down the usage/agencies using it if you can. Given the reference to KEL346, this frequency could be a repeater of its own and/or could be simulcasting traffic from some other frequencies/bands.

Also as listed in the RR database 423.7500 (110.9) is Northfield Center FD have not heard anything else.

Hmm? This is in the DB? I can't find it listed in the DB anywhere in Lorain Co. Oh ok, Cuyahoga Co. I see it licensed in both Cuyahoga and Lorain Cos. I included it above even though the description on the FCC license lists it as "maintenance personnel" So it may not be relevant to this discussion - but If somebody knows what agency in Lorain Co is using it for maintenance it'd be nice to have it entered in the DB as well.

Mike

Last edited:

OHIOSCAN

NW Fire

That FD situation sounded like a Chinese Fire Drill, not really a model of coordination.

423.2250 LC911 CENTRAL \ LOC CITY RPTR SIMULCAST PL-179.9
LC911 SW RPTR WNWZ 696 SIMULCAST PL-127.3

EMA & "OTHER USES"
423.100 - WPWB802 - LORAIN, COUNTY OF (emergency dispatch)

Justice Cntr Gov -PL-186.2
423.75 - WPMB574 - LORAIN, COUNTY OF (maintenance)

Unid Data so far

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
423.2250 LC911 CENTRAL \ LOC CITY RPTR SIMULCAST PL-179.9
LC911 SW RPTR WNWZ 696 SIMULCAST PL-127.3

Can you decipher this for me. I'd like to add to the DB but not sure I undderstand the uses based upon what you have there. You mention WNWZ696, which is an expired EMS license acccording to the DB. Can you tell me what frequencies it is simulcasting? That'd probably help me out since I'll cross reference the frequencies in the DB to see the current descriptions.

Thanks for this!

EMA & "OTHER USES"
423.100 - WPWB802 - LORAIN, COUNTY OF (emergency dispatch)

Justice Cntr Gov -PL-186.2
423.75 - WPMB574 - LORAIN, COUNTY OF (maintenance)

Unid Data so far

Thanks for these as well.

I can either add all this based upon what youv'e added here, or better yet, you could submit it to the DB so we have a record in there of who submitted it. Either way i'll work it tomorrow if another admin hasn't already.

I appreciate the info!

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

Ok, Cuyahoga, Summit, six of one, half dozen of another. I'm interested in 423.75 as far as its use within Lorain Co since there is a license for it in Lorain Co. As you mentioned, it's already in the DB for Northfield Center so there is no clarification needed.

I'm simply asking that if anybody discovers 423.75 to be in use by an agency in Lorain Co, please let us know so that we can add it to the dB. Given what it says on the FCC license, it probably isn't anything important or very interesting to listen to... but it's always useful to have the information in the DB.

Mike

OHIOSCAN

I have heard building maint comms & what sounded like court ops. I think it belongs
to Lorain Justice Cntr. Best bet now is go with Lorain Cnty Gov.

Ohioscan

OHIOSCAN

423.225 EMA / pl-179.9 Simulcasts 154.130, 154.370, 154.400
423.225 pl-127.9 Simulcast Wellington Fire Dist 154.515 (Status ?)

Probably best listing as EMA and LC911 FD Simulcasts

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I had an internal battle going regarding 423.225. Basically, I'm guessing that the "EMA" comes from what you see on the FCC license ATTN: Emergency Management Agency? Certainly just because it is doing fire dispatch simulcasting doesn't mean it isn't an EMA freq. But if we specify it as EMA, then it shoudl be under Emergency Management - and thus the service tag should probably read Emergency Ops instead of Fire Dispatch.

So ultimately, 423.225 is under the Emergency Management label and lists it both as EMA/ LC911 Fire.

Very difficult to figure out how to put that into a 12-character alpha tag though.

As for 423.9375, since it's unid data at the moment it'd really hard to list it under a heading. It's useful to know its data (so that if somebody hearing it looks in the DB they will at least see a listing), but without anything more specific at this time I think it's best to leave it out of the DB.

I see that you didn't list a tone for 423.100. Is this because there wasn't one present or that you just didn't happen to catch it? Or is it because no active traffic has been heard yet on this to identify what it is used for? I have it in the DB right now, but if it can't be pinned down as actively being in use and us knowing the agency, it probably shoudl be removed.

Very useful information guys. Thanks for stepping up and providing it. And if you have further comments / suggestions, let's hear them.

Thanks

Mike

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I had an internal battle going regarding 423.225. Basically, I'm guessing that the "EMA" comes from what you see on the FCC license ATTN: Emergency Management Agency? Certainly just because it is doing fire dispatch simulcasting doesn't mean it isn't an EMA freq. But if we specify it as EMA, then it shoudl be under Emergency Management - and thus the service tag should probably read Emergency Ops instead of Fire Dispatch.

So ultimately, 423.225 is under the Emergency Management label and lists it both as EMA/ LC911 Fire.

Very difficult to figure out how to put that into a 12-character alpha tag though.

If the primary function of the frequency is Fire Dispatch, it should be listed as such and in the Fire/EMS category.

In some counties in Ohio that have unified dispatching, EMA does it as that's the way the County Commissioners set it up, for a couple of reasons:

1. In order that the comm center be as neutral as possible and not under the thumb of any specific emergency service (avoidance of turf battles);
2. Easiest and cheapest to consolidate all 911 functions under one particular agency which could be funded through a variety of mechanisms.

In most cases, it's probably both.

Thus, EMA is the agency with oversight of the dispatching operation (or at least of the FCC licensing), and hence their name on the license. Likewise, there are some fire frequencies out there listed as "Attn: Police Department" because that's the agency which does the dispatching and which has responsibility for all FCC licensing issues. Etc, etc, etc.

Best bet is to list is as Fire Dispatch. Even if it does occasionally get used for EMA ops (many fire frequencies do), it should be listed by primary function.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks Tom.

I cahnged the descriptions, moved the items to Fire Departments, changed the service tags to Fire Dispatch, removed references to EMA.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Folks,

Notice some more additions / changes / removals from the Lorain Co database

We received a submission indicating the "new" lineup for fire radios. You'll see the four dispatch frequencies (which all previously existed) with new names / alpha tags in the database. Where a previous description existed for them, I tried to keep it. Down the road the individual cities listed probably should be removed to "clean up" things, but for now that's what I've done.

You'll also notice all teh TAC frequencies. Many of the TAC frequencies were in the DB (but not confirmed), some where in the DB (and confirmed as individual agency firegrounds). in fact, many of the licenses are licenses to specific agencies. However, since there is a rhyme and reason to the lineup, duplicates are being removed.

Per guidelines of insertion of items in the DB, duplicate entries are to be avoided at all cost. So, if you have 154.175 "Fire Agency 1 fireground" and then we see that it is also Lorain Co Fire TAC-8, the reference to Fire Agency 1 fireground has been removed since it was either an exact duplicate (license / freq / tone) or was unconfirmed.

So even with the changes in the channel lineup for fire, there really are no more entries in the Fire Department section after removing duplicates.

Still working on things having to do with the 423 Mhz frequencies we've all been discussing above. And may be one or two more TAC channels to list as well once I have clarification on them from the submitter.

Mike

hokiewheeler

I always thought Westcomm was the western Cuyahoga cities. Is Avon a part of this for dispatch purposes? I was visiting a friend this morning who has a digital scanner and we heard techs talking setting up TG's for what they called Westcomm. This was on MARCS and they said to advise the departments they were now on P25. I don't know the TG's, maybe somebody else heard this too? At any rate, thanks for the new LC updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.