Lorain County Dive team member dies during rescue saving teens b/c of flooding

Status
Not open for further replies.

CVPI4Ever

I was right..they drove through a road closed sign. Here it is from the Wellington Fire Department website. I would hope there would be some charges forthcoming since they ignored the sign and as a result a firefighter died.

====================

"At 1:18 pm, on June 22, 2006, the Wellington Fire District responded to a 911 call for a water rescue, in Wellington Township. The department's Dive Rescue members responded to the call, with inital reports of two juveniles, in the water. The initial attempt to save the juveniles, who had attempted to drive their vehicle through the ROAD CLOSED barricades and rushing water, was unsuccesful. During a second attempt to reach the juveniles, Diver Anderson entered the water, attached to a safety line. Water conditions rapidly deteriorated and he was overcome by the water current. At that point, the diver was extricated by rescue personnel using his attached safety line.

While Anderson was being removed, additional personnel successfully reached the two victims and removed them safely from the water.

After Anderson was removed from the water, medical care was initiated by fire and EMS personnel. He was eventually transported by Lifeflight to Cleveland Metro Hospital. Resuscitation efforts at the hospital were unsuccessful.

Al "Buzz" Anderson was 47 years old. He served on the Wellington Fire District's Dive Rescue team for four years and was a trained swift water rescue diver with fifteen years experience. Buzz was married to his wife Julie for 20 years and had four children.

This is the third Line of Duty death for the Wellington Fire District in its 125 year history and first in thirty years. The firefighters and Board of Trustees of the Wellington Fire District extend their sincere sympathy to the Anderson family and want it known that their brother died a hero."

http://www.wellingtonfire.com/
====================

hoser147

My thoughts and prayers to the family and the members of the brotherhood. I havent heard of a dive team member in a tradgic accident for a long time I believe the last one I heard of was 15 years ago in the Lima area 2 divers never resurfaced and were found tangled in an old bed spring in the quarry they were tryin to recover a body in. God Bless there Souls..............hoser147

Status
Not open for further replies.