Lorain Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqhunter

Premium Subscriber
I was told by a LPD employee last night that they had "gone digital". They still are dispatching on their old analog freq. Anyone have information on what they might be doing?

owenbricker

Lorain city pd license shows p25,nexedge,and mototrbo, plus narrowband analog. same for sheriff. Vasu communications licenses his customers with each of those formats that they sell.Did the same thing here in richland co. best bet ask vasu, avon,oh 440-934-5268.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Lorain city pd license shows p25,nexedge,and mototrbo, plus narrowband analog. same for sheriff. Vasu communications licenses his customers with each of those formats that they sell.Did the same thing here in richland co. best bet ask vasu, avon,oh 440-934-5268.

The license may show narrowband and digital, but it's important to note that just because it says narrowband and digital doesn't mean it's P25, Mototrbo or Nexedge (or whatever); it could just as easily be straight data. FCC licenses do not specify the flavor of digital; as long as operating within the parameters of the license, the FCC doesn't particularly care what flavor it is, as long as it's legal.

owenbricker

FCC callsign KQB349 LORAIN CITY emissions, 8K10FIE,P25 voice, 4K00FIE,nexedge voice,7K60FXE,2 slot TDMA mototrbo voice, plus all data emissions for each on the license, the liscense do specify emissions. They may never use them, for possible future use they are already licenced. Check for yourself its all there.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
FCC callsign KQB349 LORAIN CITY emissions, 8K10FIE,P25 voice, 4K00FIE,nexedge voice,7K60FXE,2 slot TDMA mototrbo voice, plus all data emissions for each on the license, the liscense do specify emissions. They may never use them, for possible future use they are already licenced. Check for yourself its all there.

I'm looking at KQB349 on the ULS right now, and nowhere do the words Nexedge, Mototrbo or P25 appear. Emission designations do not a digital flavor make; I think you're reading more into it than is actually there.

Officially.....

8K10F1E:
8K10 = 8.1 kHz maximum bandwidth
F = Angle-modulated, straight FM
1 = Digital, on-off or quantized, no modulation
E = Telephony, voice, sound broadcasting

4K00FIE:
4K00 = 4.0 kHz maximum bandwidth
1 = Digital, on-off or quantized, no modulation

7K60FXE:
7K60 = 7.6 kHz maximum bandwidth
X = All cases not covered above (i.e., not Digital with modulation, Single analog channel, etc etc)

None of these emission designators specifies any particular flavor of digital; as long as it fits within the specified parameters, it's OK. One of the systems I manage has an emission designator just like the third one, 7K60FXE..... and yet it's straight data. No voice, no Nexedge, no Mototrbo, no P25.

So you see, one can assume that either P25, Nexedge or Mototrbo might be the modes they're likely to use by virtue of what's out there in the marketplace, but they are most definitely not graven in stone simply by virtue of an emission designation on the license; there are several other "flavors" of digital which work quite nicely within the parameters of those emission designators, and it's certainly possible that the department could throw a curve and select one of the oddballs. The only way to know what specific flavor of digital they choose is to either hear it in action... or have inside knowledge, in which case there would be no speculation. To plan based on an assumption is unwise.

Of course, if it's Nexedge or Mototrbo, it's a moot point from a scanner standpoint anyhow, as there are no such scanners.

Last edited:

CVPI4Ever

VASU has the market up in Lorain County and the Richland County area. I used to frequent both shops. They also do alot of the emergency equipment installs on cruisers, fire/EMS apparatus, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.