Los Angeles County Fire Department Radio Room Theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPSan

« on: September 19, 2019, 10:23:33 PM »

This was posted on the QRZ.com STOLEN EQUIPMENT forum. Here's the copy as posted.......

W7SJK Forwarding a Facebook post by request:
------------------------------------------------------
September 14th, Saturday morning, we heard from the Station Captain at FS 77 that the gate to NV Station was open. He sent Rescue 77 over and they discovered that North Valley Station radio room had been burglarized.

The LAPD, who arrived shortly thereafter, took a police report #191613942. I also contacted the ACS Command Staff and they informed OVB
Assistant Chief Rose and BC12 Ward, who arrived to see the damage.

The radios were ripped out of their brackets and some of the new shelving was smashed. Grafitti was left on the wall. The Astron power supply was dumped on the floor and may have been damaged.

The approximate value of the stolen equipment is $7,500. The damage to the door and shelving is approximately $1,500. As we go through the inventory we may discover that other items are missing.

Stolen items with value:

Kenwood TS-2000X, HF-V-U-1.2, $1300, S/n 30500002
Kenwood TM-281A, VHF, $140, Mobile, S/n B5C01052
Kenwood TM-281A ,VHF, $140, Mobile, S/n B5C01125
Kenwood TM-331A, 220 MHz, $240, Mobile
Kenwood TM-431A, UHF, $240, Mobile
Motorola XTL5000 800 MHz $5,000 LAFD Dept. Radio
Hygain Rotor Controller, $350
Alpha Delta Delta -4-B, $110, 4 position Coax Switch
Kenwood (5) KES-5 $250 Speakers
Kenwood MC-60 $160 Desk Microphone n/a
Kenwood HS-5 $80 Headphone n/a

Please help us keep an eye out for this equipment. If you belong to other
Amateur Radio groups, please forward this information to them.

Jonathan Zimmerman
LAFD ACS BCOML 14

PaulNDaOC

« on: September 19, 2019, 10:23:33 PM »

This was posted on the QRZ.com STOLEN EQUIPMENT forum. Here's the copy as posted.......

W7SJK Forwarding a Facebook post by request:
------------------------------------------------------
September 14th, Saturday morning, we heard from the Station Captain at FS 77 that the gate to NV Station was open. He sent Rescue 77 over and they discovered that North Valley Station radio room had been burglarized.

The LAPD, who arrived shortly thereafter, took a police report #191613942. I also contacted the ACS Command Staff and they informed OVB
Assistant Chief Rose and BC12 Ward, who arrived to see the damage.

The radios were ripped out of their brackets and some of the new shelving was smashed. Grafitti was left on the wall. The Astron power supply was dumped on the floor and may have been damaged.

The approximate value of the stolen equipment is $7,500. The damage to the door and shelving is approximately $1,500. As we go through the inventory we may discover that other items are missing.

Stolen items with value:

Kenwood TS-2000X, HF-V-U-1.2, $1300, S/n 30500002
Kenwood TM-281A, VHF, $140, Mobile, S/n B5C01052
Kenwood TM-281A ,VHF, $140, Mobile, S/n B5C01125
Kenwood TM-331A, 220 MHz, $240, Mobile
Kenwood TM-431A, UHF, $240, Mobile
Motorola XTL5000 800 MHz $5,000 LAFD Dept. Radio
Hygain Rotor Controller, $350
Alpha Delta Delta -4-B, $110, 4 position Coax Switch
Kenwood (5) KES-5 $250 Speakers
Kenwood MC-60 $160 Desk Microphone n/a
Kenwood HS-5 $80 Headphone n/a

Please help us keep an eye out for this equipment. If you belong to other
Amateur Radio groups, please forward this information to them.

Jonathan Zimmerman
LAFD ACS BCOML 14
There is one piece of info that doesn't fit. Are you sure this was LA County and not LA City. Station 77 Gorman is nowhere near a City of LA transmit site.

allend

Premium Subscriber
HAHA Motorola XTL5000 800 MHz $5,000 LAFD Dept. Radio

You mean worth like 300.00 to 400.00 bucks at the most

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
There is one piece of info that doesn't fit. Are you sure this was LA County and not LA City. Station 77 Gorman is nowhere near a City of LA transmit site.

It's city. This was circulated about a month ago.

zz0468

QRT
Banned

I take it you've never purchased one of these new, with the various "options" like encryption boards, which alone is around $1000, and flashed for things like P25 trunking. That price sounds just about right.

allend

Premium Subscriber
I take it you've never purchased one of these new, with the various "options" like encryption boards, which alone is around $1000, and flashed for things like P25 trunking. That price sounds just about right.

You are saying that I don't know the price and the value of these XTL radios? Is this what you are saying? This is my personal base home radio with full encryption with a loaded flashcode. Maybe its time for you to find another thread to go and breathe. These radios are 15 year old radios with no value anymore.

Attachments

• XTL5000.jpg
    XTL5000.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 49

PaulNDaOC

You are saying that I don't know the price and the value of these XTL radios? Is this what you are saying? This is my personal base home radio with full encryption with a loaded flashcode. Maybe its time for you to find another thread to go and breathe. These radios are 15 year old radios with no value anymore.
You nailed it. It's ancient technology now. I'm not saying it's not worth having. Anything that serves a functional purpose is worth keeping around. It's just not going to command top dollar for reasons that are obvious.

Would an LAFD XLT radio even have encryption or P25 capability? I think the value was a guestimate on what the original price may have been. It's not like the purchase order is in the BC's desk in quarters.

I've come to find that when you say something that you know what you are talking about.

Last edited:

allend

Premium Subscriber
Most likely LAFD XTL radios would have P25 capabilities with their flashcode and the ability to have the expansion board for an enc chip.

But as you know how ancient these radios are now and they are still great radios that most likely the LAFD has a basic flashcode since they only operate on 800 mhz analog conventional frequencies.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
You are saying that I don't know the price and the value of these XTL radios? Is this what you are saying?

Yep. That's pretty much what I'm saying here. They were discontinued in 2013, but still very much out there, and still very much in use. When a government agency experiences loss by damage or theft, the loss is frequently stated in replacement value. The city isn't going to go to eBay and find a radio to replace the stolen ones.

This is my personal base home radio with full encryption with a loaded flashcode.

I'm sorry, am I supposed to be impressed? What's your point here?

Maybe its time for you to find another thread to go and breathe.

Are you attempting to moderate me? Is that your job?

These radios are 15 year old radios with no value anymore.

There are fleets with thousands of these in current use, with brand new ones still in the box being deployed by some agencies. About the only thing they don't do that's available in current products is P25 phase 2. I stand by my original comment. For a government agency to replace a stolen one is about $5K of taxpayer dollars.

Last edited:

allend

Premium Subscriber
Yep. That's pretty much what I'm saying here. They were discontinued in 2013, but still very much out there, and still very much in use. When a government agency experiences loss by damage or theft, the loss is frequently stated in replacement value. The city isn't going to go to eBay and find a radio to replace the stolen ones.

I'm sorry, am I supposed to be impressed? What's your point here?

Are you attempting to moderate me? Is that your job?

There are fleets with thousands of these in current use, with brand new ones still in the box being deployed by some agencies. About the only thing they don't do that's available in current products is P25 phase 2. I stand by my original comment. For a government agency to replace a stolen one is about $5K of taxpayer dollars.

Are your feeling hurt now since you have been called to the plate? It's not about being impressed but when you decide to want to troll a thread and call somebody out for not knowing anything about certain radio's and what values are then you need to walk on down the road.

I think its time for you to take the high road. The reason I am showing my XTL is not to impress you but to show you I can back up my information and I absolutely know what I am taking about. I deal with these radios on a daily basis. Obviously you are an person that does your value basis from EBAY which is complete non-sense.

ChrisE_STB

CA Database Admin
Database Admin

It was Pelican Cases with 20+ radios in each, not a single radio. This is were some of the 5000s went after the APX upgrade.

ChrisE_STB

CA Database Admin
Database Admin
Most likely LAFD XTL radios would have P25 capabilities with their flashcode and the ability to have the expansion board for an enc chip.

But as you know how ancient these radios are now and they are still great radios that most likely the LAFD has a basic flashcode since they only operate on 800 mhz analog conventional frequencies.

This is also not fully true, All the XTS5000s had/have the LA City STRS Trunking system in them.

ChrisE_STB

CA Database Admin
Database Admin
Do all LAFD stations have an HF setup??? I’m curious about the TS-2000 and the rotor controller, which implies they have a Yagi on the station roof/tower.
The theft was not from a current LAFD Fire station, this was an old station was re-purposed for LAFD ACS. LAFD ACS Home

Status
Not open for further replies.