Los Angeles getting a new radio system for first responders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TreySpooner65

Premium Subscriber
Yes. I read something about it a while ago. There's a national push for moving public safety to 800mhz for nationwide interoperability.

I'd guess it's along those lines.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PaulNDaOC

The LA-RICS project is funded 100% by federal grants from Homeland Safety and an Urban Security funding grant.

I cant even imagine that you could get all the user agencies to begin to come up with even a portion of these monies if the funds are lost. Many user agencies would jump ship IMHO.

Local public safety agencies have come to expect that state and federal grants should fund more and more of day-to-day operations. Absent a handout, I think most will be satisfied with what they have now.

The Sheriff still cooperates with ICE,,,it's the state legislation that will cause problems.

Last edited:

Baker845

enforce federal laws and get your money. If not then no money. Hopefully they don't get there money. California is rich last i heard, so get the funds from the state :0

Yes. I read something about it a while ago. There's a national push for moving public safety to 800mhz for nationwide interoperability.

I'd guess it's along those lines.
There is no mandate for 800 MHz band commonality.

Without respect to the politics of "sanctuary cities" or the Beltway, where are they going to go in 800 MHz? There won't be any mandatory narrowbanding (at least that's what the FCC says right now), so proposed interstitial channels won't be available where they're needed.

The big problem is what happens when T-Band turns into a pumpkin. Where do they pull spectrum from then? They lobbied for, and received, additional spectrum a while back, and thanks to Congress demanding a give-back for the upper D Block (700 MHz "public safety broadband"), that is intended to go away.

I suspect the pushback from all the talking heads will be to go Radio emulation over IP on FirstNet.

Aero125

There is an entire Sticky thread that has been running for a few years now about LA-RICS, but maybe this one is to argue about politics?

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Good articles about the T-Band & other stuff on these pages.

Public Safety Advocate: A T-Band Call to Action
http://allthingsfirstnet.com/public-safety-advocate-a-t-band-call-to-action/

Public Safety Advocate: MCPTT over LTE and Direct-Mode
http://allthingsfirstnet.com/public-safety-advocate-mcptt-over-lte-and-direct-mode/

FirstNet Coverage
http://allthingsfirstnet.com/public-safety-advocate-firstnet-coverage/

The big problem is what happens when T-Band turns into a pumpkin. Where do they pull spectrum from then? They lobbied for, and received, additional spectrum a while back, and thanks to Congress demanding a give-back for the upper D Block (700 MHz "public safety broadband"), that is intended to go away.

scanhopkins

When I read thinks like communications Will be over 4g does that mean we will no longer be able to monitor them?

Status
Not open for further replies.