Losing faith in news media!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
The main thing is Baylor is the Chief of police & not the sheriff , check the captions under the pix on the far right:)
update: as of noon article was corrected after several emails to point out the mistake was done

Last edited:

oldranger

News Media

Too many reporters are always in a hurry to get the story out with out checking on the accuracy of the story.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Ability to write, an understanding of the English language and knowledge of the subject matter ARE NOT (and have not been for a long time) requirements for being a news reporter.

One of our 'Military' reporters in this area interviewed an Air Force Captain yet his 'title' on the caption was 'Commander'.

The Air Force does not have a rank of Commander, that is a Navy and Coast Guard rank. The naval equivalent rank of an Air Force Captain is Lieutenant.

One would like to think if they are the "experts" (sick), they would take the time to learn, or at least properly document, the official ranks and titles of the individuals they are interviewing.

All that matters to our 'news' departments anymore is get the ratings to bring in more money.

Like the statement at the end of most semi historic movies. "Any similarity to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental."

karldotcom

I hardly watch them anymore...unless there is a live helicopter shot of something I am tracking on the scanner. The "BREAKING NEWS" banner and dramatic music when something is hours old gets a bit tiring....

SCPD

QRT
HI Karl, I tend to agree with ya, I very rarely watch ANY TV anymore, so am talking online BS heh, WSFA is supposed to be THE LOCAL station so you kinda expect them to know a few things, even most ot the on the air staff have been there 15-20 years or more hehe

Last edited:

KEV200

I lost faith in the news media over 40 years ago when I saw from the inside how they try to manipulate events rather than report them.

K4PBN
Birmingham

SCPD

QRT
I lost faith in the news media over 40 years ago when I saw from the inside how they try to manipulate events rather than report them.

K4PBN
Birmingham
That is for sure, All they care about is getting people to watch whatever they put on the air so they can get more advertisers. so you can watch more commercials & ads

SAR923

My daughter used to get extra credit for bringing in copies of the Prattville Progress with all the typos circled. :) That was when she was about 10. She's 18 now and still reads the Progress just to find the typos. Accuracy in news reporting has never been a big thing down here.

jon_k

Ability to write, an understanding of the English language and knowledge of the subject matter ARE NOT (and have not been for a long time) requirements for being a news reporter.

Seconded. What good is someone competent at English writing working for a newspaper? The articles need to be written at a 6th grade level for the masses to understand it. Most people don't ever advance beyond a 6th grade reading comprehension level. If they wrote at a 12th grade level the mass majority couldn't read the newspaper!

And further, journalism is dead. It's all about entertainment. Why do you think Bill O'reilly and others are so popular these days? Because they're credible journalists? No, because they are entertaining to the target audience. (And I hope those who watch him realize he's not a journalist. He did recently win an Emmy for journalism though, which puzzles me.) Someone needs to update the dictionary entry for journalism!

LEH

Premium Subscriber
When I say 'news reporter', I am also including those clowns in television journalism too. Try reading the stories they post on their stations web pages.

When I went to Germany 25 years ago, the Army had just reissued their handbook to prep for the 'drivers license' test. They had lowered the RGL (reading grade level) from 5th grade to 3rd.

I won't go into our educational system (sic) and the knowledge imparted on the students. Both need work. Just look at some of the posts in RR. Poor spelling, improper use of words, no capitalization, no punctuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.