Losing reply while scanning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KO4IPV

Working with the SDs100 monitoring my favorites list I am noticing that I am missing a response from other party question goes out from dispatch to a car do not hear the response is it because my of my settings delay , Seems like it moves on scanning before I get the response and all I’m getting is one side of it is there something I can adjust in the settings that allows the frequency to hold longer

tvengr

Well Known Member
The standard delay is 2 seconds. You can increase it to 3, 4, 5, 10, or 30 seconds. As stated earlier, if the delay is long, you will be missing other traffic. If you miss replies on only a couple of frequencies or talkgroups, you can increase the delay time for those only.

JoeyC

There is no ideal delay due to the drawbacks listed above. Some replies may come immediately, some may not. Something you have to get used to, or if you really want to hear the reply, be quick on the hold button.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
But ... it will then be scanning slower, and you will miss something because you are scanning too slowly. That's why some of these folks have 3, 4, 5+ scanners.
Delay has no effect on scan speed while the scanner is scanning. It only affects how long the scanner waits on a previously active channel before resuming scanning.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The radio is a slow scanner secondary to the SDR chip thats used. When the radio first came out it scanned faster but Uniden slowed it down at some point in a firmware update, I guess to improve performance elsewhere.

As been said 2 seconds is default. One of the things I do is... The old rule of thumb... The more you scan the less you hear so reduce the amount of objects you're scanning and you'll hear more.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
It depends what frequencies and when they are used.
Okay I'll clarify that. If you're listening to a system of five or six talk groups it won't make a difference how many you're scanning on ID scan but if you are scanning conventional items, one or more systems, especially systems that are cycling through various sites, it's going to take quite a long time to get around and cycle back to the original object you were looking for a reply to.

If the response doesn't come quick enough before the original object you were listening to moves on you are going to miss it.

Listen to less crap at one time. Again, the more you scan the less you hear.

teknishun

Working with the SDs100 monitoring my favorites list I am noticing that I am missing a response from other party question goes out from dispatch to a car do not hear the response is it because my of my settings delay , Seems like it moves on scanning before I get the response and all I’m getting is one side of it is there something I can adjust in the settings that allows the frequency to hold longer

The biggest problem I have found with this issue are the "old school" folks doing a quick press+release on the mic to symbolize "OK" or "clear" or "10-4" etc. You cannot fast-key the microphone on digital systems like you can on analog systems. The scanner will miss the replies. Sometimes all you will hear is just a pop or a click instead of a voice reply. Other than that particular problem, I find that a 2-second delay before continuing scanning is just about right. It can be adjusted up or down to meet individual channel needs or your personal preferences.

KO4IPV

The biggest problem I have found with this issue are the "old school" folks doing a quick press+release on the mic to symbolize "OK" or "clear" or "10-4" etc. You cannot fast-key the microphone on digital systems like you can on analog systems. The scanner will miss the replies. Sometimes all you will hear is just a pop or a click instead of a voice reply. Other than that particular problem, I find that a 2-second delay before continuing scanning is just about right. It can be adjusted up or down to meet individual channel needs or your personal preferences.
Yes I noticed that a simple click of the mic seems to be a way to answer a question

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Yes I noticed that a simple click of the mic seems to be a way to answer a question

I am not sure how prevalent this is for other places, but around here we have these "Click2Enter" devices at certain gated communities and traffic gates. If Police or Fire need access to a particular area, they key their radios a few times, and the Click2Enter Scanner Radio picks up and then opens the gate. This might also be the reason sometimes you hear a key but no response or "dead air."

From the Click2Enter Website:

The Click2Enter-I.V4 combines the scanner/receiver technology with control technology to act as a radio controlled key to open access control devices (gates or security control mechanisms), thus allowing public safety agencies or any authorized users immediate access to deal with emergencies as the occur. To activate the Click2Enter-I.V4, the operator must be close to the device, and using short transmission pulses of their radio transceiver (see operating instructions) is all that is required to initiate an instant activation/entry.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Two clicks on a microphone has been the universal acknowledgement since I first started monitoring when I was 11, 55 years ago LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.