Loss of data lock problem continues on BCD536HP

msp563

Premium Subscriber
I am once again having problems where lose all traffic on MSCommNet when the radio fails to get a data lock on any tower. I have good signal strength from three towers (Bald Mt, Bangor, Passadumkeag) but I 'm not getting any sync for data. This has happened three times this week, starting and ending with no warning or indications. I only discover it when I come in to check the radio and find that it's not been receiving for hours. I go to bed at night with no operating scanner but wake up to discover it started working sometime during the night. I have just now discovered no hits since 2:45 this afternoon.

I've tried many things, checked settings again and again and can't find a reason for this. This always happens when I am not interacting with the scanner thru ProScan.

I'd appreciate suggestions.

Attachments

• Screenshot (45).png
    Screenshot (45).png
    429.6 KB · Views: 10

hummern23

Premium Subscriber
What RSSIs are you seeing? I'm near you and I get around -90 to -100 from those three sites, and still get good reception.

msp563

Premium Subscriber
I'm familiar with the term RSSI but don't know how to check it or what are normal readings. I've never had a need to use the info.

msp563

Premium Subscriber
I've heard the term RSSI in passing but I'm unable to find it's mention in the owner's manual. I obviously need to learn more about it.

I've heard the term RSSI in passing but I'm unable to find it's mention in the owner's manual
RSSI.jpg

msp563

Premium Subscriber
I guess my problem is I don't know how to find the RSSI information. I'm not finding anything on it in the Bearcat manual and I'm unable to find anything on it in ProScan except there is mention to writing the status of the current channel to the Channel.txt file.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I have always been concerned with the lack of field adjustable TCXO reference oscillator. One can monitor the LO for a specific conventional 800 KHz frequency to see if drift has occurred but there is no means I am aware of to reset the reference oscillator. In practice you should have less than 1PP million drift. I suppose one could graft in an adjustable TCXO or oven oscillator to effect a repair. Has anyone checked theirs? I recall commercial NPSPAC Ericsson and Motorola radios drifting significantly within 18 months.

msp563

Premium Subscriber
Read through the "edit System Options: section of the Easier to Read Manual.
I'm not finding anything that I understand in the easier to read manual that I can relate to my problem.

I am starting to receive some traffic now. I've not reset anything so I'm not sure why it's working. I don't think I'm getting all the traffic, only one side of the conversation. It's hard to troubleshoot this time of night because there's so little traffic to catch.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I guess my problem is I don't know how to find the RSSI information. I'm not finding anything on it in the Bearcat manual and I'm unable to find anything on it in ProScan except there is mention to writing the status of the current channel to the Channel.txt file.
ProScan logs the RSSI in the History Log as shown in the 1st image. Checking the option circled in the 2nd image will show the RSSI same as the signal bars/

image1.png

image2.png

msp563

Premium Subscriber
What RSSIs are you seeing? I'm near you and I get around -90 to -100 from those three sites, and still get good reception.
Ok. Now I've found the RSSI values in the History Log. An earlier message said he was in my area and gets -90 to -100 on my local towers. I'm seeing values of 260 to 390.
ProScan logs the RSSI in the History Log as shown in the 1st image. Checking the option circled in the 2nd image will show the RSSI same as the signal bars/

View attachment 158269

View attachment 158270

hummern23

Premium Subscriber
Ok. Now I've found the RSSI values in the History Log. An earlier message said he was in my area and gets -90 to -100 on my local towers. I'm seeing values of 260 to 390.
My RSSI numbers are different as I have an SDS100. Also, I've attached the logs from the last two days of what I have seen, in case that helps.

Attachments

• MSCommNet.pdf
    201.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

msp563

Premium Subscriber
My RSSI numbers are different as I have an SDS100. Also, I've attached the logs from the last two days of what I have seen, in case that helps.
Those are much lower than my numbers. Mine appear to be outside a normal range but I'm not sure what to do about it.

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
Try setting your threshold values. Back when I got my 536, I noticed it wasn't picking up near as much as the Radio Shack Pro197 was. After setting everything to manual 5, it was night and day.
Screenshot 2024-03-13 013846.png

msp563

Premium Subscriber
That is something I haven't tried. I will make some changes and see how it deals with the morning's traffic. Thanks.