Loss of LMR400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I currently have a dpd productions 6dbi omni tuned to 769-775mhz with about 120’ of LMR400 feedline. If I move my antenna I can eliminate about 50’ of LMR400 feedline. My calculator says that’s about 2db.

my question is will it be worth the trouble to move the antenna to achieve around 2db of gain and eliminate about 50’ of LMR400. Let me know cause this will be about a 10 hour job from start to finish.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
you are the only one that can answer your own question, is it really worth the miniscule amount of gain you will gain and will you really benefit from it?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The first question I'd ask is what effect will moving the antenna to a different location have on your reception? Unless you know for a fact that the antenna will pull in the same signals at the same strength you receive them at the current location, then you might be making the situation worse even while cutting out 50' of coax.

What exactly are you monitoring? 700 MHz trunking? Are the signals already strong enough that you have no issue receiving what you want to receive?

Might not be worth the trouble unless you're doing weak signal work and want to eek out every last dB of signal, and are confident that moving the antenna to a different location isn't going to have a negative impact on signal quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.