Loss of Menu-set frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WouffHong

Asked it in this forum last week and got no responses..

The strongest signal at my home is the 162.400 and i set it to that frequency in the menu setup area.

It works fine until there is a power interruption, however short, and despite a charged battery, it flips over to 162.55 which is not received here and will work fine as a scanner, but does NOT return to the needed 162.400 channel.

I bring it up this evening as we are in a watch for severe weather with possibility (low) of tornadoes. Went through one disaster here in Ellijay last april and don't want to rely again on the cheap midland, but use an Rat-Shack Race Scanner for alerts, which works fine.

My $500+ HP-1 won't do the job of keeping the best WX channel needed and that's sad. i NEED it to STAY on 162.400 no matter what!

Wouff

OCO

Another WX standby issue

I got a different result than Wouf, but still not good.. I've posted my results in his thread on the HP1 forum, but I'll quote it here, because it could be a significant problem if others can duplicate it...(WX standby mode, short power interruption)..

"I thought I'd try to duplicate the issue... I set the WX alert standby to 162.425, put the scanner in WX standby and pulled the plug. I got the Warning that the scanner was on battery power and then it went back to WX Standby Mode screen.. Note that I had set both Standby Options to WX Standby. OK, this was cool and I didn't see Wouffhong's specific frequency change problem.

Then I tried it again, but this time did just a momentary (~ 1 second) disconnect. The scanner display showed the "scanner on battery" warning, but it did not go away, just hung on that warning - I left it for about 5 minutes with no change and since it did NOT revert to the the WX Standby screen, I have no idea whether it is actually in that mode or not. It appears that with a short power failure, the HP1 sees the loss of external power, puts up the warning message, but does not appear to see the power come back or gets confused. This, as Wouffhong pointed out, is potentially a very serious issue if a family were to be trusting the HomePatrol to monitor for severe weather warnings..... and momentary power interruptions are far from rare during storms..

Can Uniden check into this and advise?? I don't have any way of checking to see if the HP1 is still actually in WX monitor mode, or just hung on displaying the "operating on battery" warning screen.....
"

OCO

I've run numerous tests on my HP1 and still do not have the frequency change problem that Wouf is seeing, but it looks like any power outage has to be at least 3-4 seconds in length for the HP1 to revert to WX monitor mode. After that, power coming back on is handled with no problem, the scanner stays in WX monitor mode... Maybe we'll have to buy UPS systems for the HP1 to handle short power outages...:wink:

WouffHong

Weather loss..

I've run numerous tests on my HP1 and still do not have the frequency change problem that Wouf is seeing, but it looks like any power outage has to be at least 3-4 seconds in length for the HP1 to revert to WX monitor mode. After that, power coming back on is handled with no problem, the scanner stays in WX monitor mode... Maybe we'll have to buy UPS systems for the HP1 to handle short power outages...:wink:

With batteries in and charged, it theoretically HAS one. ;):wink::confused:

I suspect it hops over to 162.55 because somehow that channel is linked to the ZIP code??

is it possible that in your location, the strongest channel IS the same as what HP-1 thinks it should be based ON ZIP??

As long as it is on external power (Which i wish was 12 VDC not 9), it maintains watch on my needed 162.400, but as some others have noted, it changes off that when power is lost.

I would like to ask all if theirs goes to 162.55 ALSO (as if some default) or to some other channel, perhaps linked to their ZIP code!?

UP MAN! - Wither Art thee?? :)

Wouff
(Yep! - All firmware and the rest at latest versions) :roll:

Last edited:

OCO

Wouff....
Nope, the location I'm currently in actually has 162.550 as the local WX transmitter. I've been setting to 162.425 just to see if it would change...which it does not.

Have you tried the "less than three second" test? I see Rob has and got the battery warning screen hangup also...

The point someone else missed is that if it's sitting on the battery warning screen, is it still functioning as a WX monitor?? (If you're sleeping ,following the instructions to tap the screen may be missed :) )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.