LOST..AND NOW FOUND.. a "3yrs later" PRO 96 story..

Status
Not open for further replies.

bc3scan

Sooo.

Last time I was here was Sept 06. At that time I had JUST purchased a Pro 96 and had it in the basement while working on a business project. My then 3 yr old son was "helping out" and off to the dump I went first thing in the am to make more room.

3 days later..I could not seem to find the dang thing..

My son says, "Daddy I helped you clean up..I put the radio in the box. what box? the one Daddy took out to the truck? "yes Daddy..I'm a great helper right?"

uuuh oh. Yes son..yes you are...ugghh.

I searched high and low and pretty much had that low-pit feeling that he ""helped me by putting a $400.00 (+) radio in the dump. Oh well..what are you going to do....

Today I get a phone call from my business partner that she found a radio in a packaging supply box that she had taken while I was out picking up dinner that night 3 yrs ago..I never knew!

Battery fired right back on and my now 6yr old son and I listened on the couch for about an hour..he loves it!

Alls well that ends well.

My only question...is this Pro 96 on its "last leg" with respect to any changes in encryption listening world? I don't seem to be able to hear any of the local Conn State police channels anymore.

Any quick "in a nutshell" updates for a rusty 3yr old Newbie would be appreciated.

(where is that dang manual..maybe in that same box....)

Last edited:
Well, welcome back. Congrats on a welcomed find I'm sure.
Now, here is a link to a online donwloadable manual,-> RadioShack PRO-96 Digital Trunking Scanner (200-0526)
And check the RR Database -> Connecticut Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
to see if anything has changed.
You might think about reprogramming the channels you want to make sure you have everything you need in there.
And go to the Connecticticticticut section of the forum. They would be much better at area specific questions.

bc3scan

Any need to update firmware cumulitively or can I just upload the latest (07/20/2007) version?

Not sure whether or not the previous firmware versions need to be done as well..also anyone know what the firmware updates had corrected? thnks

freqs

Itook a look at the Conn State Police could they have ( rebanded ) the freqs he needs yjat mite be the receive issue he is having?.maybe not but wanted to put that idea out

Any need to update firmware cumulitively or can I just upload the latest (07/20/2007) version?

Not sure whether or not the previous firmware versions need to be done as well..also anyone know what the firmware updates had corrected? thnks

Just do the latest, as everything before that is included. No, I don't think they have rebanded yet because you would see all the 866.#### to 868.#### freqs changed to 851.#### to 853.#### , again this would be something better asked in the Conn. section of the forums.

Thats Totally Awesome Mate,,Congrats on the rekindling of the hobby,,and im positive you and your son will laught over this for a long time!

Merry Christmas to you,,Enjoy your almost New Pro96!

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Only downside is that "$400 scanner" is now only worth $200.
But hey better then loosing it and getting nothing.

Enjoy it the 96 is still a great basic digital radio no fancy bells or whistles but works as it should

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Funny story.:) It's funny you tell this because just yesterday I found my PRO-93 behind my couch that has been missing for a year and a half. I so much considered it lost I took it out of my forum signature. By no means is it as worthy or expensive as your PRO-96, but hey it's a scanner! (And it's actually really really good on VHF-Hi for a handheld w/ a rubber duck antenna).

rmiller818

I lost my Pro-95, think I left it in a rental car. I really liked that scanner. That's cool that you found yours, I hope that happens to me one day.

bc3scan

So..what has been the "biggest" improvement and/or change in the last 3yrs? (with respect to the pro96 vs. what the newest hottest thing ?.

I guess what I am asking is have they (the makers) made any improvements in terms of cracking into scanning protected/encrypted? I know that what I have seen with police/fire is that most serious cases they tend to use cell phones...

what am I missing out on ? lol tnx

Astrak

So..what has been the "biggest" improvement and/or change in the last 3yrs? (with respect to the pro96 vs. what the newest hottest thing ?.

I guess what I am asking is have they (the makers) made any improvements in terms of cracking into scanning protected/encrypted? I know that what I have seen with police/fire is that most serious cases they tend to use cell phones...

That would be the Radioshack PRO106/197 GRE PSR500/600 or Uniden 396XT/996XT. As far as scanning encryption, that's just not gonna happen anytime ever so don't worry about that. Read up on the newer scanners if you're interested in the latest and greatest there are plenty of threads here on those scanners I mentioned and also a comparison chart in the wiki section of RR.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
not to hijack but i had a friend who had his car broken into, Yaesu VX-7 was stolen out of car amongst other things... 6 or 7 months later his neighbor raking pine straw from his back yard finds the radio. thankfully it was a submersible radio, charged battery back up and it works great....

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
That's an awesome story! I still fire up the PRO-96 from time to time. It still works as well as it did when I purchased it, well built and easy to use. It also makes a great P25 control channel monitor for Pro96Com.
Welcome back, and Happy Holiday Scanning!

SCPD

QRT

If you need any of the 3 DSP updates, send me a PM with email address. I do not think RS website has em any more being a discontinued radio now.
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.