SDS100/SDS200: 'Lost' DMR Key, Praise for ScannerMaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4AAQ

I bought an SDS100 from ScannerMaster about 2 years ago. I had the DMR key included (I believe it was discounted at time of purchase).

Last year, just under one year into the warranty, my wife started her car while the scanner was plugged into the car for power. It shut down and would not power back on.

I shipped it back to Uniden, and explained what happened. Even though it was under warranty, I expected to pay for the repair due to 'user abuse'. They fixed it free. The fix involved replacing the Control Board.

Although I had the DMR option, I didn't really use it, and apparently didn't even notice that it wasn't working until this weekend (another year later), when I came up with a use for DMR and found it not working. The DMR Key field was empty. Previously (more than a year ago?), it just said that DMR was already installed.

I hunted through documentation for the key, and couldn't find it. Then I remembered that it had been installed at ScannerMaster. If they ever sent me the key, I didn't put it anywhere I could find it (odd for me).

I emailed ScannerMaster support, including my receipt (showing the DMR upgrade), and got a quick reply. But that reply said there was 'no way' for a radio to lose its key. You can't 'uninstall' the key or delete it. They gently hinted that maybe I was trying to use the key on a different radio, but that wouldn't work, as it was tied to the serial/guts of one radio.

I replied with a picture of the empty key field, assured them it was for my one-and-only SDS100, and added the missing clue: that Control Board replacement (with paperwork). Turns out that was the 'only way' a DMR key can be deleted.

I think they had to contact Uniden, but in under an hour, they had my key, which worked, and is now saved in multiple places on my PC and in the cloud.

My thanks to ScannerMaster for their prompt attention. I don't begrudge them their initial response and caution. I showed that I understood, included my exception, and we were on the same page quickly. Hotter heads, or even just warmer ones, and derail that kind of dialog in a hurry.SDS100 'Input DMR Key' menu dialog.jpg

Reconrider

First thing I would do is check and see if the serial number is the same as your first sds100.

If it's the same serial number, find that key or have scannerscammers send you it again - i can't see why they wouldn't have it on file somewhere.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
First thing I would do is check and see if the serial number is the same as your first sds100.

If it's the same serial number, find that key or have scannerscammers send you it again - i can't see why they wouldn't have it on file somewhere.
You didn't actually read the whole post, did you?

Reconrider

Nope. I skimmed through before I replied but I was doing a lot of other stuff while replying and might have gotten mixed up with something else.
Oh well

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
What part of “we are trying to help you” don’t you get? There’s more to the serial # issue than you apparently are aware of. The whole post was read. What you don’t know is that there was a time when Uniden was supposedly replacing radios sent back to them with others that were already repaired/corrected. One was not necessarily going to get back the same radio. I don’t know if Uniden ever did swaps, and if they did, wether or not they omitted any radio that already had additional purchased modes such as DMR. I personally never liked even the suggestion of doing these swaps. But that’s where the confusion could have come from.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
What part of “we are trying to help you” don’t you get? There’s more to the serial # issue than you apparently are aware of. The whole post was read. What you don’t know is that there was a time when Uniden was supposedly replacing radios sent back to them with others that were already repaired/corrected. One was not necessarily going to get back the same radio. I don’t know if Uniden ever did swaps, and if they did, wether or not they omitted any radio that already had additional purchased modes such as DMR. I personally never liked even the suggestion of doing these swaps. But that’s where the confusion could have come from.
Are you seriously trying to lecture me about how this all works? Do yourself a favor and don't even go there. I know precisely what the issue is, however my point was that the OP already got the issue resolved thanks to ScannerMaster stepping in to help.

The fact that Uniden repair is a second rate outfit who can't seem to get things fixed right the first time, or that they don't pay attention to DMR/NXDN/ProVoice keys that are in scanners they swap boards out of, is an entirely different discussion.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
What you don’t know is that there was a time when Uniden was supposedly replacing radios sent back to them with others that were already repaired/corrected. One was not necessarily going to get back the same radio.
What you don't know is that rumor was dispelled a very long time ago....

1) All customers using the exchange program got either a brand new scanner or got their own scanner back. No one got someone else's refurbished unit.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Agree, No need to be rude about it GTR8000, you don’t know how it all work.
Everyone doesn’t know how everything works.

Maybe try it be more helpful with others.

Just like how ScannerMaster could have handle the request better without asking many questions.
Since each key can only be used with that serial number.

K4AAQ

I did check the S/N, it was the same. I hunted a lot before asking and couldn't find it.

garys

Premium Subscriber
The OP started this thread to thank Scanner Master for helping him with a problem. I think his only mistake was not telling them initially that the control board had been replaced. As I recall, the control board is the main board of the scanner, so it's no surprise that information stored on the old one was lost.

What's odd is that other people with 436HP scanners who had the control board replaced had the SN and feature keys copied over.

Reading is fundamental, so if one just "skims" the OP and then comments, there's a good chance that you'll miss something.

OP, I'm glad it worked out for you. I haven't found a whole lot of DMR in Lancaster or York counties on my trips down there.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Anyway...I think the point has been made and the OP is happy. Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.