Lost my SDS100 (Found!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

Valet parkers were caught burglarizing their swanky restaurant's customers while they were inside dining.
I got a $30 WiFi camera (only a thin power cable needed) that sends me text messages with pictures to my phone whenever there's any movement in the driveway to my frontdoor. I can also have the camera app activated on the phone, if its battery are fully charged, to get an immediate alert and I can use the mic and speaker in the camera to communicate with people and tell them that "I'm not ready to buy anything today" if it's a door to door salesman. A simple and inexpensive way to keep your house under surveilance when away.

/Ubbe

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Reading through these posts, I am surprised that people would put their address on their radio for the finder to see. "An ounce of prevention..." comes to mind. Even if I were to put some kind of identifier on the screen, I would just show an email address and hope for the best. It's just a radio and not worth inviting who knows who to my house.

As for the GPS in the car, I have my home location saved with a bogus name, not "home" or my name.

We all just need to be a little creative to reduce risk. Most criminals are not dumb. They just don't want to work too hard to ply their trade. That's why we lock our windows and doors as a deterrent. They would rather find the easy mark and be in and out quickly.

Exactly. My radios have just my first name, an email address and my phone number.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Maybe they did, but I don't recall suggestions of putting the address on the screen - just the name and phone number. Name and number makes perfect sense. I agree, I wouldn't put address...maybe I skipped over that post suggesting such.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Maybe they did, but I don't recall suggestions of putting the address on the screen - just the name and phone number. Name and number makes perfect sense. I agree, I wouldn't put address...maybe I skipped over that post suggesting such.

I agree, putting your address in with return info is not a good idea at all, (posts 5, 15, 19, and 22 suggested it).

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I have frequently lost and found my 435HP. Then I got smart. I have purchased three different types of GPS trackers to attach to the scanner case. However, I have run into problems with the XY model. They are working on a fix now. I bought the 4th generation model. These work great when operating. I might be the idiot in this equation.

Key Ringer is the loudest key finder I have ever heard. It is also equipped with a flashing red LED. I have lost my cell phone many times; however, I attached a clicker to it as well. When you lose one of the tiles, you can click one of them to find the others. This has saved my mind and marriage.

Finally, the best performing Key finder is the "Tile." There are many different models. Some, you can even sew into clothing. The glitch? AT&T, the place where I bought my package of Tiles, never once told me that you have to buy a completely new set when the battery expires. AT&T lied about this by omitting this information. I remind them of this every time I see them for any reason. If they give me a sales pitch, I mention the tile unit. When they tried to sell their Dish to me, I told them I would never ever buy one because they made a pact with Scratch by providing the only portal for watching the Houston Astros.

1) Find your keys, find your phone, find your important things.

2) #1 Lost Key Finder & Remote Control Locator

3) Find Your Keys, Wallet & Phone with Tile’s App and Bluetooth Tracker Device | Tile

I am thrilled to hear that you found your radio.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I got a $30 WiFi camera (only a thin power cable needed) that sends me text messages with pictures to my phone whenever there's any movement in the driveway to my frontdoor. I can also have the camera app activated on the phone, if its battery are fully charged, to get an immediate alert and I can use the mic and speaker in the camera to communicate with people and tell them that "I'm not ready to buy anything today" if it's a door to door salesman. A simple and inexpensive way to keep your house under surveilance when away.

/Ubbe

Hey Ubbe, can you provide a link to the WiFi cam that you use? I need this. We live in a nice neighborhood where we don't get many door knockers, but when we do they are usually circumspect. Months ago, the local PD arrested a husband/wife team of gypsies impersonating sales people from a carpet cleaning company that were talking their way into homes and stealing from the residents. I saw them on the local news broadcast and recognized them as the same pair that knocked on our door. I told them we were not interested without opening the door. I remember thinking I needed some sort of intercom/camera that I could monitor and speak from while sitting at my desk. I really like that option for cell phone monitoring. Sounds just like something I need here! Thanks man!

JD
kf4anc

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Hey Ubbe, can you provide a link to the WiFi cam that you use? I need this. We live in a nice neighborhood where we don't get many door knockers, but when we do they are usually circumspect. Months ago, the local PD arrested a husband/wife team of gypsies impersonating sales people from a carpet cleaning company that were talking their way into homes and stealing from the residents. I saw them on the local news broadcast and recognized them as the same pair that knocked on our door. I told them we were not interested without opening the door. I remember thinking I needed some sort of intercom/camera that I could monitor and speak from while sitting at my desk. I really like that option for cell phone monitoring. Sounds just like something I need here! Thanks man!

JD
kf4anc

I sent you a PM.

gillham

Feed Provider
I have frequently lost and found my 435HP. Then I got smart. I have purchased three different types of GPS trackers to attach to the scanner case. However, I have run into problems with the XY model. They are working on a fix now. I bought the 4th generation model. These work great when operating. I might be the idiot in this equation.

Key Ringer is the loudest key finder I have ever heard. It is also equipped with a flashing red LED. I have lost my cell phone many times; however, I attached a clicker to it as well. When you lose one of the tiles, you can click one of them to find the others. This has saved my mind and marriage.

Finally, the best performing Key finder is the "Tile." There are many different models. Some, you can even sew into clothing. The glitch? AT&T, the place where I bought my package of Tiles, never once told me that you have to buy a completely new set when the battery expires. AT&T lied about this by omitting this information. I remind them of this every time I see them for any reason. If they give me a sales pitch, I mention the tile unit. When they tried to sell their Dish to me, I told them I would never ever buy one because they made a pact with Scratch by providing the only portal for watching the Houston Astros.

1) Find your keys, find your phone, find your important things.

2) #1 Lost Key Finder & Remote Control Locator

3) Find Your Keys, Wallet & Phone with Tile’s App and Bluetooth Tracker Device | Tile

I am thrilled to hear that you found your radio.

There are models of the Tile now that have user serviceable batteries. I bought a 4 pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NC1

True, but I'm not about to try to make things easier for them. The cops I work with all have stories of home burglary cases they've worked where the perpetrator got the address from something they stole such as devices with "if found, return to..." on them, portable GPSs with a "Home" address programmed in, and even car insurance and registration documents.

The "Home" in my vehicles GPS brings you right to the County Sheriff parking lot. ;)

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
There are models of the Tile now that have user serviceable batteries. I bought a 4 pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. That does it. Screw the rest. The best performing GPS, by far, is the Tile. I was quite irked that AT&T wasn't truthful up front. So, that helps me out. Do you happen to know the model number or what they are called?

gillham

Feed Provider
Wow. That does it. Screw the rest. The best performing GPS, by far, is the Tile. I was quite irked that AT&T wasn't truthful up front. So, that helps me out. Do you happen to know the model number or what they are called?

You want the Pro or the Mate
lp_comparison-chart_1500x346_no-durability.jpg

You mention it's GPS - but it's not. It's Bluetooth Low Energy. What that means, is that it rely's on other people with smartphones to have the Tile app installed, and Bluetooth turned on. It's crowdsourcing.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

I bought a 4 pack of the latest "Pro" model that claimed a 300' range. Just be aware, you may not get anywhere near that distance in real world applications. As mentioned, they are only low power Bluetooth. Works well inside your own home if you are on the same floor in adjacent rooms, but if you have more than 1 wall/floor to go through, very intermittent performance. Outside performance is dismal compared to the marketing hype. Even with line of sight in a normal urban environment with the myriad of other stronger Bluetooth devices around you, 30-50 feet is severely pushing it. I returned 2 sets thinking they were defective, but the third set had the same performance limitations. I even tried brand new batteries from my own stock in all 3 sets, but no difference. YMMV as always.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Nobody has touched the decibels these emit. I can find the others by pressing one. I can find them via computer. However, finding a friendly place to program these can be difficult due to the piercing sound. God, these are loud. Not as loud as Lemmy, of course. Nothing throws me into panic mode like misplacing my scanner. I don't know why nursing homes don't use these things on degenerative brain diseases where they wander off.

#1 Lost Key Finder & Remote Control Locator

Status
Not open for further replies.