Lost with LTR system....

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
I asked a question here a few months ago about a LTR System for US Steel in Gary, In. There is a page with info about it here in RR. I put that info to work now for about 3 months. None of this has worked for me at all. I have now tried my luck at the FCC search page. Wow, WTF was I looking at? That is another world right there. I saw stuff like MO, FB2, FX1, MO8, FB8 under station class. Kind of have a clue now what they mean after some research. Then along with antenna numbers and location numbers and frequency ID's.
Can someone with a clue look at into this for me and tell me just what is going on with their system. I seem to only see two real channels for a system. Well two that are listed as FB8. And from what I have read these are like control channels. But hey what do I know..... This is why I am asking!
The search I did to find this info was using Gary, Indiana and using YG for the radio service. Again I didn't really know if this was correct either but it seemed to work. The call sign I came up with was WPVY408.
Again the info posted on RR didn't seem to work at all for me and I have tried and retried till I just kind of got feed up and quit. Now I just want to start al over and figure it out.
I am using the BCD396XT to do my work with so maybe someone might have a pointer or two for me there too! Hope I made some kind of sense here with all my jibber jabber, heck if it helps I am lost too!

Mick

The TRS is listed here:
US Steel - Gary Trunking System, Gary, Indiana - Scanner Frequencies

You won't be able to track talkgroups since the frqs are not listed with an LCN.

Maybe someone close to Gary will have them and post them here for you soon.

I asked a question here a few months ago about a LTR System for US Steel in Gary, In. There is a page with info about it here in RR. I put that info to work now for about 3 months. None of this has worked for me at all. I have now tried my luck at the FCC search page. Wow, WTF was I looking at? That is another world right there. I saw stuff like MO, FB2, FX1, MO8, FB8 under station class. Kind of have a clue now what they mean after some research. Then along with antenna numbers and location numbers and frequency ID's.
Can someone with a clue look at into this for me and tell me just what is going on with their system. I seem to only see two real channels for a system. Well two that are listed as FB8. And from what I have read these are like control channels. But hey what do I know..... This is why I am asking!
The search I did to find this info was using Gary, Indiana and using YG for the radio service. Again I didn't really know if this was correct either but it seemed to work. The call sign I came up with was WPVY408.
Again the info posted on RR didn't seem to work at all for me and I have tried and retried till I just kind of got feed up and quit. Now I just want to start al over and figure it out.
I am using the BCD396XT to do my work with so maybe someone might have a pointer or two for me there too! Hope I made some kind of sense here with all my jibber jabber, heck if it helps I am lost too!

In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
Mick you must not have read my post... About 3 lines into it I wrote.......

"There is a page with info about it here in RR. I put that info to work now for about 3 months. None of this has worked for me at all."

Everything you answered I already knew. Read, Read, Read before adding our 2 cents.. Just because I live in Pa. doesn't mean I am not in Gary, In. just about every other day or so. I drive a truck to and from Chicago 3 times a week.

I really just want someone that knows what they are looking for on the FCC's website to to give me some input as to what the heck I am missing here. US Steel has a plant in the Pittsburgh area and I found that info on the FCC's website and was able to follow along with the info on here. That info for the mill is correct and is listed on RR also. I know it is right cause I sat inside the mill last week was listening. Now now matter what I do while inside the Gary mill nothing works. I have gone as far as making every frequency listed here on RR as LCN 01 and yet still nothing. The one that is said to be confirmed is not even working for me. I have used all of them in a conventional system also. I have about 4 that are used with mill traffic on them but still if I try to put them into a LTR system I get nothing. Also there are others (hotels, taxi and delivery services) in the area using the same frequencies to do business. It is one big mess! Not to mention that there are also 2 other US Steel mills within an eye shot. One to the east and one to the west of Gary. They are located in Portage and East Chicago....

I am not trying to give you a hard time about this is what I know...

Mick

I read every single word of your post. The post did not include a link to the TRS in question.

For all the future readers of the post it was my intent to include it in the thread so other interested LTR TRS enthusiasts could take a look at the US Steel TRS quickly to see which freqs were missing LCN's.

Hopefully one of those readers who might be familiar with this TRS could quickly access what RR has, and by comparing his own notes, he could reply on this thread quickly with an answer for you.

There won't be any trick to getting this TRS to work in any scanner by looking at the FCC callsign database unless some frqs are either missing or not in use. Each of the frqs shown at RR has to be in an LCN in the scanner.

It took me years to learn how an LTR TRS works and it's fascinating because it's like putting a puzzle together. I wish I was close enough to monitor this TRS for you and get the LCN's in their correct order.

Status
Not open for further replies.