• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Lots of electrical noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

KNN3881

I have lots of electrical interference from high tension power lines near my house. Does anyone know of a filter that might help with this?

SCPD

QRT
Call Public service and tell them you are a ham radio operator and you think the wires are causing interference.You could use a cheap AM radio tuned to the end of the band (530khz) walk around outside and try and locate the exact pole or electrical device thats causing this.They do take interference requests seriously,because airplane communications could cause them a $10,000 a day fine!Same with cable tv.
Shut off your circuit breaker and try before calling,you dont want to look foolish or be the cause.LCD TV's are a nightmare of noise.Computers are as well.Anything electrical even wall warts.
Keep the antenna far away from the tension wires for best results.You may have to try by moving the antenna around before mounting it.

JayMojave

Hello all: Yeah what ool says, you need to be sure that the RFI noise isn't coming from your house. These power companies probably get a lot wrong and frivolous type of complaints and such so knowing it isn't your house causing the RFI noise is a good call.

A portable radio tuned to a RFI noisy frequency will work well sometimes, and sometimes the noise doesn't show up on a AM radio, but at a higher frequency. So a hand held scanner radio works well for me.
Then you walk down the street and find the loudest power pole and report that poles ID number, off it ID tag, to the power company.

A DSP audio filter may work a little but won't be the total fix, because the RFI noise is on the same frequency as your radio.

I have a bunch of power poles, transformers, with loose connections that make sizzling noise like frying bacon in my radio from 2 to 54 Mc, what fun! I take my hand held scanner radio out walking down the street monitoring the power line noise, and then drive down the street slow and watch the S-Meter on the radio. The icing on the cake is I hit the power pole with a sledge hammer and monitor the noise, if I hit the offending pole the noise will be intermittent some times. Then tie a yellow ribbon around the pole, gets its ID number and report it, they know me real well.

Here is more info on the RFI noise problem:
Radio Frequency Interference (RFI)
https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Practical-Cures-Frequency-Interference/dp/0872596834

Each RFI noise problem seems to be different, and the noise can be at one pole but louder at another pole but the power companies know all this. Good luck.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

I have lots of electrical interference from high tension power lines near my house. Does anyone know of a filter that might help with this?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The handheld AM radio is a good idea. AM has the advantage of increasing audio volume in direct proportion to signal strength, so even if the radio doesn't have a signal strength meter, you can tell pretty easily if the signal is getting stronger or weaker as you move around.

wb6uqa

noise finder

A loop antenna. Take pvc and wire. Use 6.5 ft. of wire around a cross pvc. Should look diamond shape loop.Feed at bottom with coax. Very directional CB loop. Good for T hunting.

AC9BX

As said, first be sure the noise is not in your home. The worst noise sources are those nearest to you. You'd be amazed at the stuff that can be noisy, TV sets, computers, monitors, battery chargers, game consoles, lights, dimmers, furnace controllers, ethernet routers and switches (these are notorious) washing machines, the power supply to almost anything these days, and on and on. A portable AM radio is your friend. Turn off all your power. Tune the radio to a vacant frequency. A multi-band shortwave is best for this so you can stay away from the strong broadcast stations. Walk around the area, check neighbor's house, street lights, etc. If it's indeed noisy at power lines you can call the power company. Are these indeed high-tension lines? If so there's not much that can be done. They radiate by default due to the high voltage. If this is a neighborhood feed however they will listen to complaints. Power line *leaks* are bad and they want them fixed. If the noise is gone with your power off you know it's local. Begin turning things on and listening.

I've heard computer sound cards and ethernet switches (and the wires) that radiate wideband hash for blocks.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Call Public service and tell them you are a ham radio operator and you think the wires are causing interference.
I have the same problems here!
The come from the fu..... PLC Device who everyone use. The work up to 30Mhz!!!
Calling the officials? Lol you are funny the do nothing!

Status
Not open for further replies.