Lots of Hams on the board

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarnacleBill

I've noticed there are quite a few Hams (amateur radio operators)
on this board. I'll bet some are inactive on the Ham bands. I'll
also bet some don't have equipment any more.

Am I right?

I, for one, have HF and 2 meter equipment but seldom use either.

K4APR

I have been licensed for about 16 years. I am not as voice active as I have been in the past (most people don't want to listen to my mouth anyways :D ), but I am very active on digital. I run APRS from my car and home 24/7. We have HF set up at home and I tend to fire it up at least once every few weeks. Wish I had more time for HF.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have been a ham since my senior yr. in high school(1979) I'm active almost every day,and use commercial radios at work. I don't care for the noisy hf bands,but do operate 220,440,900mhz as well as gmrs and murs.
n9zas

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
ARO here and I too use my priveleges on a daily basis. I've held my ticket less than a year so I'm not tired of anything yet.

KC8ULU

Premium Subscriber
I still use 2m quite a bit when I'm mobile on the local repeater, but that's about it since I don't have any HF gear.

Llwellyn

I've been licensed since I was 17, but I haven't been active in a good while. I've never been the type to ramble on and chat for a good length of time, so even when I had my equipment I really only used it to volunteer. Back home, I used to help out with special events and was preparing to join the emergency management office as a volunteer, but then I moved away. Out here, there really isn't a whole lot of volunteering to be done that requires the use of the radio and honestly things are different now when trying to hold down a full time job too.

Eventually I may pick up a new transceiver but for now I'm content with scanning. I've always been more excited by the scanning than the talking part anyway. I do advocate for amateur radio though and try to get as many people involved as I can.

troymail

Silent Key
Just passed my Technician test two days ago (was nudged to do it by a friend). Had an old Noice license many years ago but never did anything with it.... I'm waiting for my callsign now and will be looking for a 2 M handheld to start playing with....

BarnacleBill

great

Congrats "troymail" on passing your technician test two days
ago. Pat yourself on the back!

I will be celebrating 50 years in ham radio on April 20th. First
licensed in 1960 as WV6LGE, then WA6LGE, then WB6ADA
and finally WA3SCW.

Also worked as KR6WB in Okinawa and EA7BZN in Rota,
Spain. I used to be a big contester in Spain. It is sure different
being on that side of the "pond" and being the hunted rather
than the hunter.

Markinsac

I've been in amateur radio since late 1996. Bought a radio for use in Civil Air Patrol, and decided I wanted to use it on more than just a couple of frequencies.

Upgraded to Extra about 6 years ago, and became a Volunteer Examiner.

I currently volunteer for our local Sheriff's Amateur Radio Program (SHARP). In fact, I'm doing a short presentation on it at a local amateur radio club tonight!

Mark

rescue4520

Sometimes am on, there are a few nets I monitor when in the mood (Not really fun for me any longer) 147.030+ no PL @ 9am every morn, sometimes check in but over sleep a bunch, it's very intersting net here in Balto & sometimes am on 146.67 - 107.2PL @ 6:30pm BTN OR NTS, I might be on there too. I also do the 145.330- No PL, and of course 146.52 simplex, some are on 14?.525 simplex but can't make it out on simplex well. I rather listen than talk anyways cuz if you send out a CQ around here chances are they will hear but not answer so I pretty much gave up & listen mainly to FD sometimes PD cuz it's pointless to wast the time for no answer unless you jump in on others otherwise no one to talk to(sad but true)...

KB3RLD

AC2C

Premium Subscriber
Been continuously licensed since 1965 with calls WN2RTB, WB2RTB, KH6IAR, and AC2C. Extra Class since 1973. I work all the HF bands 160M, 80M, 40M, 30M, 20M, 17M, 15M, 12M, and 10M. I have 60M capablility, but 60M is SSB only.

I also have 20M and 70cm in the shack and in the mobile.

All HF operating, with the exception of an occassional Saturday AM roundtable is CW Morse.

Straight Key Century Club #2748T

Webpage: AC2C - Home Page

73, Ron

nunyax

Been a ham since 1992 but am basically inactive. I do have a dual-bander in the car that is mainly used as a scanner. All of my HF stuff has been boxed up for quite a few years.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Ham

I've noticed there are quite a few Hams (amateur radio operators)
on this board. I'll bet some are inactive on the Ham bands. I'll
also bet some don't have equipment any more.

Am I right?

I, for one, have HF and 2 meter equipment but seldom use either.

What's a HAM? lol J/K

KC9LVX General Class Evansville, IN Feed

FFEMTCURRENCE

Premium Subscriber
almost licensed for 10 yrs now...i only have a mobile rig that goes on the 2m & 70cm bands with 50 watts of power......i currently live in a apartment thats in a "dead spot* im trying to get my general or extra license hopefully soon

Status
Not open for further replies.